Abaltive Shader for all part

KGas- Inc

After watching the latest Space X landing I noticed one thing I have always wanted to see as part of KSP - Re-entry Ablation Burn marks. As you can see in the album I've posted, there are all manner of burn marks from re-entry. While we have the effects of re-entry in the game, we don't see its result. I would love to see tall boosters coming back all grey at the bottom and white where the legs are and such or to see how much damage was taken during hard or softer re-entries.

A Dev note from last year talked about the ablative shader for the heat shields. But I am not sure how that is actually done. I'm in no way a coder and this would take more coding and know how than I have. Anyone game?

Pics of burn patterns

This could be easily done with a ModuleManager patch that adds ablator to every part, although the entire part would be a solid, matte, black. So if a way to make only *certain* parts of the parts (inception) be burnable, I think this could work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.