[1.2, 1.3] KW Rocketry Redux 3.1.1.1 released

linuxgurugamer

12 hours ago, Cornholio said:

+1  Thanks!

@linuxgurugamer  Maybe you could include this config in your bundle.  I'm not sure what kind of hoops (if any) you have to jump through to get permission, but definitely something I personally would download every update to work with KW.

How about I add this as a "recommended" or "suggested" option in CKAN, and mention it in the OP?  Seems easier and more foolproof than my including specific files

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

How about I add this as a "recommended" or "suggested" option in CKAN, and mention it in the OP?  Seems easier and more foolproof than my including specific files

Maybe not, it pulls down the CRP as a requirement

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Maybe not, it pulls down the CRP as a requirement

The InterstellarFuelSwitch patch is in CryoTanks to give you more tank options for CRP LqdHydrogen, because that's what Nertea's engines use. The all-LF option is in there because it was cheap to add once he added the patch. So if you bring in the entire CryoTanks mod, you'll get the LqdHydrogen support whether any KW engines use it or not.

If all you want is to be able to switch any mod's fuel tanks between LF, LFO, and MonoPropellant, without depending on CRP, that would require some editing of the patch to strip out the references to LqdHydrogen. Still easier than trying to write the same patch from scratch, though.

On 7/1/2016 at 2:25 PM, undercoveryankee said:

The InterstellarFuelSwitch patch is in CryoTanks to give you more tank options for CRP LqdHydrogen, because that's what Nertea's engines use. The all-LF option is in there because it was cheap to add once he added the patch. So if you bring in the entire CryoTanks mod, you'll get the LqdHydrogen support whether any KW engines use it or not.

If all you want is to be able to switch any mod's fuel tanks between LF, LFO, and MonoPropellant, without depending on CRP, that would require some editing of the patch to strip out the references to LqdHydrogen. Still easier than trying to write the same patch from scratch, though.

Last I checked there was no IFS patch as he converted to B9partswitch. Even if there was, bringing in an entire mod (two actually, as you bring in cryo engines and cryo tanks) just for a single MM patch...is no bueno.

To be clear, there is a fuel switch patch, but it uses B9. Just borrow the relevant pieces and write a new one. If you want to switch fuels, you need either Firespitter, IFS, or B9partswitch. You are correct about CRP for the LqdHydrogen.

On 7/2/2016 at 4:28 PM, BioRoots said:

Having a issue with the 5m engine not showing up in career mode. They show up in sandbox but not career i check the config but i can't seem to find anything. I have mod install see image http://imgur.com/QghsPD

Not sure what else i could provide for info

They now show up in Experimental Rocketry.  I just checked on a clean install, they do show up there.

6 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Last I checked there was no IFS patch as he converted to B9partswitch. Even if there was, bringing in an entire mod (two actually, as you bring in cryo engines and cryo tanks) just for a single MM patch...is no bueno.

To be clear, there is a fuel switch patch, but it uses B9. Just borrow the relevant pieces and write a new one. If you want to switch fuels, you need either Firespitter, IFS, or B9partswitch. You are correct about CRP for the LqdHydrogen.

This really doesn't seem to fit with the rest of KW.  If you want to write a patch for this, I'd be happy to include it in an Extras directory, and would even write a special CKAN to pull in the necessary mods.

But I'm not going to write this patch myself.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This really doesn't seem to fit with the rest of KW.  If you want to write a patch for this, I'd be happy to include it in an Extras directory, and would even write a special CKAN to pull in the necessary mods.

But I'm not going to write this patch myself.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with you. I'm not sure what he was getting at. I use Cryo Engines - it's an excellent mod, as is KW Rocketry. I think the arrangement at present is fine. Was just hoping to clarify a few points, but probably muddled the matter. Ah well.

So I'm having a little bit of trouble with this mod, which is sad, because it's been one of my favorite mods of all time. I'm running KSP version 1.1.2.1260 64 bit version. For the mostpart, the mod runs fine except for a few small bugs that I'd love to get help resolving. The version of modulemanager that I am using is version 2.6.3

1. When using the 2.5 meter Petal Adapter, and (correctly) activating the part through the right click sub menus as explained in a few youtube videos, the shroud deploys (first button) and the payload separates (third button), but the upper stage does not separate from the Petal Adapter when decoupling with the second button. I cannot figure out why this is. This is the most important issue I'd like to get resolved.

2. Another indicator that I am having some difficulty with this mod is that the engine bells are always glowing, regardless of the engine ever having been lit or not.

I'd greatly appreciate any help from the community in resolving these issues. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, EndeavourCmdr said:

The version of modulemanager that I am using is version 2.6.3

2.6.3?  That's ancient.  Go to the ModuleManager thread and get the latest (2.6.25)

Edited by blowfish

1 minute ago, blowfish said:

2.6.3?  That's ancient.  Go to the ModuleManager thread and get the latest (2.6.25)

How is 2.6.25 newer than 2.6.3???

EDIT: Well, I went to the thread and you are absolutely right. It's definitely an old version. Kind of counter-intuitive though with the version numbering lol. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Edited by EndeavourCmdr

6 minutes ago, EndeavourCmdr said:

How is 2.6.25 newer than 2.6.3???

EDIT: Well, I went to the thread and you are absolutely right. It's definitely an old version. Kind of counter-intuitive though with the version numbering lol. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Because that's not how (correctly stated) version numbers work.  I know some people drop periods in version numbers, but generally in the official numbers that will not be the case.  The version you're thinking of would have been 2.6.2.5

1 minute ago, blowfish said:

Because that's not how (correctly stated) version numbers work.  I know some people drop periods in version numbers, but generally in the official numbers that will not be the case.  The version you're thinking of would have been 2.6.2.5

You're totally right! It's been a long day, with current events (etc) and personal things going on. Totally went over my head. Now I'm looking at it and going "duh". Thanks Mate =) I'll install the 1.1.3 patch and update to 2.6.25 and see if that makes a difference.

Okay, so quick update. I've installed KSP 1.1.3 patch, and that's running fine, and I've gone ahead and updated ModuleManager to 2.6.25 (as recommended). 

This DID solve the issue of the perma-glowing engine bells.

HOWEVER, this did NOT solve the issue of the upper stage not separating from the Petal Adapter using the "open fairing" (first button) followed by the "decouple" (second button) option from the context menu.
Has anyone had similar experience with the petal adapter having issues??

EDIT: Correction. I was able to get the Petal Adapter working by attaching the upper end of the adapter to the lower end of the engine. I originally was attaching the adapater slightly higher up so that the adapter met with the fuel tank on the service module to avoid a several meter gap between the shroud and the upper stage. The result was that I needed to leave the gap and attach the adapter to the engine, and then use the MOVE tweak tool to visually move the engine into the adapter shroud.

Edited by EndeavourCmdr

Hey,

thanks for your hard work keeping KW alive!

I have some questions/suggestions regarding engine balancing. I noticed that I do not use 3 engines in particular, because of their stats compared to stock engines:

Vesta VR-9D: Seems extremely heavy compared to the Poodle. I ve made a pull request for that one to have the mass lowered from 5 tons to 3.7 tons.

Maverick-V: Essentially a Mainsail with 100kN less thrust, 5 less atmo Isp, 5 more vacuum Isp, same mass. Not sure what to do about it. Maybe an engine between Skipper and Mainsail?

Wildcat-XR: Similar to the Rhino in dimensions, but worse in the most relevant areas (TWR, atmo Isp, vacuum Isp).

Anyway, just some thoughts/suggestions.

17 minutes ago, Yemo said:

Hey,

I have some questions/suggestions regarding engine balancing. I noticed that I do not use 3 engines in particular, because of their stats compared to stock engines:

Vesta VR-9D: Seems extremely heavy compared to the Poodle. I ve made a pull request for that one to have the mass lowered from 5 tons to 3.7 tons.

Maverick-V: Essentially a Mainsail with 100kN less thrust, 5 less atmo Isp, 5 more vacuum Isp, same mass. Not sure what to do about it. Maybe an engine between Skipper and Mainsail?

Wildcat-XR: Similar to the Rhino in dimensions, but worse in the most relevant areas (TWR, atmo Isp, vacuum Isp).

I use the Vesta for long range probes. Its high vacuum ISP is very useful when you need Delta-V to spare but you haven't yet the nuclear engine. But I agree that its weight it's a little high.

1 hour ago, Yemo said:

Hey,

I saw your pull re. the Vesta, I'd like to get other people's opinions before I make any changes.

Hello,

So I'm not sure if it's because I have Real Fuels installed or whats going on with it but I'm noticing that KW engines seem to be being placed in the "Fuel Tanks" tab. Any idea what could be causing this or how to fix it?

9e23a92dd4f0e7b12fa078ccfdd4c4a6.png

4 hours ago, CoriW said:

Hello,

So I'm not sure if it's because I have Real Fuels installed or whats going on with it but I'm noticing that KW engines seem to be being placed in the "Fuel Tanks" tab. Any idea what could be causing this or how to fix it?

9e23a92dd4f0e7b12fa078ccfdd4c4a6.png

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

First, remove RealFuels and see what happens

Here's what's going on. The KW engines all have "category = 0" in their config files. In older KSP versions that had a single "propulsion" category instead of "engines" and "fuel tanks", zero was a synonym for the "propulsion" category.

To keep older mod parts working after the category was split, the current game auto-sorts parts that still have their category set to propulsion. Propulsion parts that have either of the stock engine modules (ModuleEngine or ModuleEnginesFX) go in "engines", and all others go in "fuel tanks". RealFuels has its own engine module, ModuleEnginesRF, which the auto-sort doesn't recognize as an engine.

If you want to use the KW engines with RealFuels, you can use a ModuleManager patch like this:

@PART[*]:HAS[#category[0],@MODULE[ModuleEnginesRF]]:FINAL {
    @category = Engine
}

Since most people who are going to need this will be using RFStockalike, I should see if Raptor831 would be interested in shipping this patch with Stockalike.

2 minutes ago, undercoveryankee said:

Here's what's going on. The KW engines all have "category = 0" in their config files. In older KSP versions that had a single "propulsion" category instead of "engines" and "fuel tanks", zero was a synonym for the "propulsion" category.

To keep older mod parts working after the category was split, the current game auto-sorts parts that still have their category set to propulsion. Propulsion parts that have either of the stock engine modules (ModuleEngine or ModuleEnginesFX) go in "engines", and all others go in "fuel tanks". RealFuels has its own engine module, ModuleEnginesRF, which the auto-sort doesn't recognize as an engine.

If you want to use the KW engines with RealFuels, you can use a ModuleManager patch like this:

@category = Engine
}

Since most people who are going to need this will be using RFStockalike, I should see if Raptor831 would be interested in shipping this patch with Stockalike.

Awesome, thanks for the insight. Now I don't have to worry about messing around with removing mods and such. :)

I'd say that this little snippet of code is absolutely required when using RFStockalike, as it seems anyone who uses it will likely have this issue. @Raptor831

1 hour ago, undercoveryankee said:

@category = Engine
}

That sounds easy enough for me to add to the current KW

Ok, for now, for KW, try adding this to a file:

Gamedata\KWRocketry\KWCommunityFixes\KW-engine-cat.cfg

@PART[*]:HAS[#category[0],@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]|@MODULE[ModuleEnginesRF]]:FINAL {
    @category = Engine
}

Since I don't use RF, please try this out and let me know how it works.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@PART[*]:HAS[#category[0],@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]|@MODULE[ModuleEnginesRF]]:FINAL {
    @category = Engine
}

No luck, I put that config in where you told me to and the engines are still in the Fuel Tanks tab.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that @undercoveryankee config did work.

Edited by CoriW

45 minutes ago, CoriW said:

No luck, I put that config in where you told me to and the engines are still in the Fuel Tanks tab.

The only difference is that @linuxgurugamer was trying to hit engines with either ModuleEnginesFX or ModuleEnginesRF, and I just targeted the module that the auto-sort doesn't target. I need to ask for some clarification on that OR operator, because I don't see why mine would work and the other one wouldn't.

Edit: Found the post in the MM thread that says the OR operator isn't supposed to work in :HAS clauses.

Edited by undercoveryankee

8 hours ago, CoriW said:
9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@category = Engine
}

Ok, I wasn't sure if the "or" would work.  I was going to include that in KW, so I'll include the following in KW instead:

@category = Engine
}
@PART[*]:HAS[#category[0],@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]]:FINAL {
    @category = Engine
}

At least until RF includes the one with ModuleEnginesRF.

Please try this, it should work.  This should work both with and without RF installed.

@CoriW Thanks for testing

@undercoveryankee Thanks for the research and the original config you put up

Having a bit more trouble with the KW Petal Adapter. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get the engine on the stage above the adapter to slide INTO the petal adapter. I've tried with various engines (with engine shroud both enabled, and disabled), but every time I try to "nudge" the engine into the adapter with the move tool, the adapter gets to a certain point and then snaps to the side of the engine bell. This occurs with stock and non-stock engines. What's going on?

Nevermind. I got it. Had to reroot the rocket to below the petal adapter, THEN attach the engine to the petal adapter, and it worked fine.

Edited by EndeavourCmdr