[1.1.2] TAC - Life Support - Dev Thread

danfarnsy

Does anyone other then me think it would be nice if the small 0.625m parts actually fit nicely on the top of the mkI capsule.  They look really ugly as they are now because they are just to big and hang over the sides

1 hour ago, ctbram said:

Does anyone other then me think it would be nice if the small 0.625m parts actually fit nicely on the top of the mkI capsule.  They look really ugly as they are now because they are just to big and hang over the sides

As do all 0.625 m parts (not just TACLS). The Mk1 capsule's cap is a little too narrow.

I noticed there is no longer mention of working on DeepFreeze compatibility as there was bulleted about a day ago in the top where you reference current goals with the mod. 

Will you still work on that compatibility or is it out the window? Either way I am fine but curious.

Thank you!

Just now, Friend Bear said:

I noticed there is no longer mention of working on DeepFreeze compatibility as there was bulleted about a day ago in the top where you reference current goals with the mod. 

Will you still work on that compatibility or is it out the window? Either way I am fine but curious.

Thank you!

I'm no longer working on it because... it's finished and integrated! With it, there is now a release thread! Fully Deep Freeze compatible. :)

Yay! I looked before asking and didn't see it mentioned so sorry for the trouble and thank you for rocking it!

Oh...I needed to unhide the changelog to see it. Sorry =(

Edited by Friend Bear

I tried asking this on the release thread but so far no one has commented.  I'm trying to setup a TacGenericConverter that will take "air" from the Mars atmosphere (I'm playing RO/RSS/RP-0) and "convert" it to CarbonDioxide.  I tried using the existing "Air Filter" as a model but when I try using what I have it says there's no IntakeAir.  My guess is the converter requires an additional part like the intake vents used for jet engines, which isn't really a viable solution here.  Is there any sort of inputResource we can use to represent the outside atmosphere?

Also, the default "Air Filter" has a "requiresOxygenAtmo = true".  Is there something similar to "requiresAtmo" so that I can get the converter to only run when you're on a plant with an atmosphere?  Or even one that only lets the convert run when you're on a planet with an atmosphere that doesn't have Oxygen?

1 minute ago, chrisl said:

I tried asking this on the release thread but so far no one has commented.  I'm trying to setup a TacGenericConverter that will take "air" from the Mars atmosphere (I'm playing RO/RSS/RP-0) and "convert" it to CarbonDioxide.  I tried using the existing "Air Filter" as a model but when I try using what I have it says there's no IntakeAir.  My guess is the converter requires an additional part like the intake vents used for jet engines, which isn't really a viable solution here.  Is there any sort of inputResource we can use to represent the outside atmosphere?

Also, the default "Air Filter" has a "requiresOxygenAtmo = true".  Is there something similar to "requiresAtmo" so that I can get the converter to only run when you're on a plant with an atmosphere?  Or even one that only lets the convert run when you're on a planet with an atmosphere that doesn't have Oxygen?

Convert air from Mars to CO2?? Dont you mean O2? Mars' atmosphere already is like 95% CO2. Typo perhaps...?

CM

1 hour ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Convert air from Mars to CO2?? Dont you mean O2? Mars' atmosphere already is like 95% CO2. Typo perhaps...?

CM

That's why I put "convert" in quotes.  What I want to do is setup a converter that will simulate pulling CO2 from the Mars atmosphere.  That CO2 will then be used in a Sabatier Reactor to produce Methane and Water.

1 hour ago, chrisl said:

That's why I put "convert" in quotes.  What I want to do is setup a converter that will simulate pulling CO2 from the Mars atmosphere.  That CO2 will then be used in a Sabatier Reactor to produce Methane and Water.

Ah, ok. So really more of an extractor, not a convertor. 

CM

27 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Ah, ok. So really more of an extractor, not a convertor. 

CM

Yes.  Don't think there is a TacGenericExtractor though. 

@Calvin_Maclure The key part of chrisl's question isn't on the technicality of what we would call a real device on Mars that extracts CO2, but how to use the TACLS module called TacGenericConverter to accomplish the goal.

@chrisl Looks I missed your post on the release thread. Because TACLS now has CRP as a dependency, you can make a resource intake module on a part that uses IntakeAtm instead of IntakeAir. Unfortunately, this doesn't distinguish between high-CO2 environments like Mars and low CO2 environments like Earth. It will let you get the job done, though. You'll need a ResourceIntake module in your part configuration, in order to get access to IntakeAtm:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleResourceIntake
		resourceName = IntakeAtm
		checkForOxygen = false
		area = 0.1
		intakeTransformName = Intake
	}

Resource
	{
		name = IntakeAtm
		amount = 1
		maxAmount =1
	}

Then you also need to use the TACconverter module to convert from IntakeAtm to CarbonDioxide. For this part, you can find a good example in the TACLS recycler parts. Just tailor this module to spit out Methane (also CRP), and I think you should have something flexible. Let us know how it goes!

14 hours ago, danfarnsy said:

@Calvin_Maclure The key part of chrisl's question isn't on the technicality of what we would call a real device on Mars that extracts CO2, but how to use the TACLS module called TacGenericConverter to accomplish the goal.

@chrisl Looks I missed your post on the release thread. Because TACLS now has CRP as a dependency, you can make a resource intake module on a part that uses IntakeAtm instead of IntakeAir. Unfortunately, this doesn't distinguish between high-CO2 environments like Mars and low CO2 environments like Earth. It will let you get the job done, though. You'll need a ResourceIntake module in your part configuration, in order to get access to IntakeAtm:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleResourceIntake
		resourceName = IntakeAtm
		checkForOxygen = false
		area = 0.1
		intakeTransformName = Intake
	}

Resource
	{
		name = IntakeAtm
		amount = 1
		maxAmount =1
	}

Then you also need to use the TACconverter module to convert from IntakeAtm to CarbonDioxide. For this part, you can find a good example in the TACLS recycler parts. Just tailor this module to spit out Methane (also CRP), and I think you should have something flexible. Let us know how it goes!

The trouble with this approach is, I don't think IntakeAtm will work when you're not focused on the craft.  At least, part of the note on the Air Filter is that it doesn't work when not focused and I've always assumed that is because IntakeAir wasn't collected while unfocused.  Maybe that has changed in which case I need to do some tests.

For my setup, I've intentionally used multiple TacGenericConverters.  I have one which is supposed to extract CO2 from the external atmosphere (though right now all it actually does is charge your EC and give you CO2), another which is a modified Sabatier Reactor (takes H2 and CO2, produces Methane and Water), another which is a modified Elektron Unit (takes Water, produces O2 and H2), and finally a standard Water Purifier (waste water, for water and waste).  By keeping them as separate converters, I can turn them on and off as needed.

3 hours ago, chrisl said:

The trouble with this approach is, I don't think IntakeAtm will work when you're not focused on the craft.  At least, part of the note on the Air Filter is that it doesn't work when not focused and I've always assumed that is because IntakeAir wasn't collected while unfocused.  Maybe that has changed in which case I need to do some tests.

For my setup, I've intentionally used multiple TacGenericConverters.  I have one which is supposed to extract CO2 from the external atmosphere (though right now all it actually does is charge your EC and give you CO2), another which is a modified Sabatier Reactor (takes H2 and CO2, produces Methane and Water), another which is a modified Elektron Unit (takes Water, produces O2 and H2), and finally a standard Water Purifier (waste water, for water and waste).  By keeping them as separate converters, I can turn them on and off as needed.

It's not that the resource IntakeAtm that isn't able to be collected, what you need is a MODULE that is capable of simulating resource collection even when on rails/not focused. Now I don't know if any if the TAC MODULES have this functionality, I believe USI part tools used to have a MODULE capable of handling this but I'm on my phone atm so I can't verify that it still has that functionality nor let you know which part MODULE you will need to use.

4 hours ago, Akira_R said:

It's not that the resource IntakeAtm that isn't able to be collected, what you need is a MODULE that is capable of simulating resource collection even when on rails/not focused. Now I don't know if any if the TAC MODULES have this functionality, I believe USI part tools used to have a MODULE capable of handling this but I'm on my phone atm so I can't verify that it still has that functionality nor let you know which part MODULE you will need to use.

I wonder if I can use the stock "ModuleResourceHarvester" MODULE.  I'll have to give that a try and see if it'll do what I'm trying to do.

1 hour ago, chrisl said:

I wonder if I can use the stock "ModuleResourceHarvester" MODULE.  I'll have to give that a try and see if it'll do what I'm trying to do.

I don't think it is currently capable of harvesting "atmospheric" resources I could be wrong. You could get a similar effect although it would only work for landed vehicles and atmospheric pressure would have no effect on it, if I remember correctly the USI part tools had a MODULE that was capable of this, I would recommend checking that out as it would probably be easier to set up.

15 hours ago, Akira_R said:

I don't think it is currently capable of harvesting "atmospheric" resources I could be wrong. You could get a similar effect although it would only work for landed vehicles and atmospheric pressure would have no effect on it, if I remember correctly the USI part tools had a MODULE that was capable of this, I would recommend checking that out as it would probably be easier to set up.

I don't have USI as a mod.  I could add it, especially now that we have 64-bit Windows support, but would rather not install a whole mod for this one thing. 

6 minutes ago, chrisl said:

I don't have USI as a mod.  I could add it, especially now that we have 64-bit Windows support, but would rather not install a whole mod for this one thing. 

That's this thing you don't need to install any USI mods, just download the most up to date mod and grab the USIparttools folder (I think it's like 000_USIpartTools or something, not at home atm) and put that in your GameData folder. You will then be able to use any of the custom part MODULES RoverDude has written, just like how we used to install "Firespitter" but all we needed was the dll and not the parts.

It will be useful to look at the part cfgs that come with the USI mods to get an idea of how the part modules are set up and which one you should use, but you don't need any of the parts themselves.

While in VAB the log is spammed with

Spoiler

-INFO- Tac.TacGenericConverter[FFD272E4][2283.52]: OnSave: MODULE
{
    name = TacGenericConverter
    isEnabled = True
    converterEnabled = False
    stagingEnabled = True
    lastUpdateTime = 0
    EVENTS
    {
        ActivateConverter
        {
            active = True
            guiActive = True
            guiActiveEditor = True
            guiActiveUncommand = False
            guiIcon = Activate Converter
            guiName = Activate CO2 Scrubber
            category = Activate Converter
            guiActiveUnfocused = False
            unfocusedRange = 2
            externalToEVAOnly = True
        }
        DeactivateConverter
        {
            active = False
            guiActive = True
            guiActiveEditor = True
            guiIcon = Deactivate Converter
            guiName = Deactivate CO2 Scrubber
            category = Deactivate Converter
            unfocusedRange = 2
            externalToEVAOnly = True
        }
        ToggleStaging
        {
            active = True
            guiActive = False
            guiIcon = Disable Staging
            guiName = Disable Staging
            category = Disable Staging
            unfocusedRange = 2
            externalToEVAOnly = True
        }
    }
    ACTIONS
    {
        ToggleConverter
        {
            actionGroup = None
        }
    }
}

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

This is not only when I save, it's hundreds of them ...

Edited by Gordon Dry

On 5/20/2016 at 6:11 AM, Gordon Dry said:

While in VAB the log is spammed with

[snip]

This is not only when I save, it's hundreds of them ...

I can confirm the same situation. Through observation and testing it repeats in the log anytime you do something in the VAB like add a part, delete a part, move a part, etc. The behavior is triggered by adding any of the recyclers to your build and thereafter everything you do will spam the log with the data Gordon Dry notes above. After several hundred iterations I have experienced the game crashing to desktop on 3 separate tests. (spent hours in the VAB just moving parts, adding parts and deleting parts)

7 hours ago, RobertaME said:

(spent hours in the VAB just moving parts, adding parts and deleting parts)

Really? That's... interesting.

On 5/20/2016 at 7:11 AM, Gordon Dry said:

While in VAB the log is spammed with [stuff]

OnSave, OnAwake, OnStart all log events in the log, yes. I'll agree that it's a bit cluttered, moreso depending on the text editor you use to view it.

I'm not convinced that logging is worse than not logging here, but I'm open to persuasive arguments.