Creating a fresh 1.0.5 copy with my old mods... Need some help troubleshooting

Hi, all. Never posted on these forums before (despite lurking for many ksp-addicted months--I like this community a lot!) so please forgive and be patient with me if I'm doing it wrong. I promise to be coachable.

I messed up my ckan-managed version of 1.0.5 (RO/RP-0,etc) by letting my game version update to 1.1--and I didn't really understand the importance of backups or how to use them until now. Now my game isn't compatible with my crucial mods anymore because they haven't updated in the ckan network to 1.1 compatibility. I don't care to play unless it's on an RO/RP-0 modded copy, so until they update, I decided to manually build from a fresh 1.0.5(.1028) copy of the game (without ckan, gulp) by finding the last, most updated, 1.0.5-compatible versions of my desired mods. I picked through mod pages' changelists and github release logs to find what would have been the most current versions before the 1.1 update and added them onto my 1.0.5 copy... makes sense to me--let me know if that actually isn't how it works. I think I learned a lot about the mod process, and I'm confident that all of them are both correctly selected and correctly installed.

Everything works mostly well (against all odds--I understand computer directories well enough, but I'm no programmer), and I have the RO and RP-0 that I wanted, plus some others. But it looks like some mods aren't showing up in-game--and some of the interface icons for the toolbars aren't showing up at all or are showing up blank. Namely, the ones that aren't showing up are Mechjeb2, KerbalEngineer, and MJ&KEforall. (How am I supposed to optimize my sounding rockets?!) I'm fairly certain that I have the "most recent versions" for every mod in use (the latest non-1.1 builds), and the game (finally) actually does load and run just fine, so the typical module manager and "multiple copies of mods" issues probably aren't the culprit anymore. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

And while I'm at it, I'm curious if someone can give me a run-through of what I need to know to better understand ksp mods. For example, what exactly are config files, .dlls, and whatever else I need to understand to be able to troubleshoot my own mod installs? Or, if such a resource already exists, I'd be happy to go check it out if I knew where to find it.

Let me know if you need any more info. Here's a couple of pictures of directories you might find relevant, plus the list of .zip files that show mod version numbers: http://imgur.com/a/6Xe1v

Thanks a lot, everyone. All of your feedback is appreciated!

Alright... A few issues right off the bat...

1) Ditch Active Texture Management - its basically obsolete for 1.0.5... You can try Dynamic Texture Loader, by the same guy... People had mixed results in saving RAM with it, so it may/may not help...You have to try it

2)the Toolbar mod is not in the correct folder. You have ksp_toolbar-1.7.10... That should be in a folder in GameData called /000_Toolbar

3)Same with your MechJeb folder... That should be called in a folder called /MechJeb2 ...  Also, you have an older version of it for 1.0.2... For 1.0.5, the last version was 2.5.6.0

4) Also, your ModuleManager is a version outdated... Last 1.0.5 version is 2.6.20...

5) Oh, and I think you may have grabbed the wrong SXT .zip... Yours says "master"...Thats usually just all the uncompiled source files for a mod...You dont want that... Try redownloading it... You want v24 for 1.0.5... If you grab it from Github, you want to click "releases", scroll down to v24, and there will be 2 or three blue links under it... Usually the top one is the one you want, and the name of the mod as the filename.zip, the one or two under it are usually "Source.zip"... Those are the ones you DONT want to grab...

6) the Desktop is one of the worst places you can put your KSP install folder, also... You want it in a non-system folder also... So something like C:\KSP should be OK...

I have a spreadsheet that has just about every mod you have, that tells me the last versions for 1.0.5... I HAVE to go to bed...I can barely stay awake, but I'll try to go thru your mods tomorrow, if no one else does by then...

Edited by Stone Blue

Thank you!! I implemented all of your fixes and have a working, mechjeb-enabled RP-0 to play through. You're a hero. :)

Some follow-up:

12 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

That should be in a folder in GameData called /000_Toolbar

I just made a new folder titled 000_Toolbar and put the files in there--does that work?

12 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

the Desktop is one of the worst places you can put your KSP install folder, also

I'm curious--why is the desktop any different from the C:/KSP folder I just made?

--

I do still have a few mods not showing up in-game--the next one that's high on my priority list to fix is ScienceAlert. Any idea why that's not running? I'll load up the game and take some screenshots of my VAB/in-flight interfaces to post on here for reference, but it's mother's day and I won't get the opportunity for a little while. :P

By the way, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I've always been impressed by the community on these forums, but man. You guys really are top-notch.

49 minutes ago, MitchS said:

I just made a new folder titled 000_Toolbar and put the files in there--does that work?

it might, if it ended up being the same structure as what it is in the .zip... If you double click on the .zip file for the Toolbar mod, it should open a window, and inside is the correct folder structure...

49 minutes ago, MitchS said:

I'm curious--why is the desktop any different from the C:/KSP folder I just made?

Its the way Windows is setup... Most of the system folders (ie Windows, Program Files, Program Files (x86), ProgramData, AND Desktop) have limited permissions and access rights for users... This is to protect non-computer savvy users from accidentally messing up system files, as well as to help protect those files & folders from easily having viruses & malware written to them... So not having those permissions to fully read/write those files/folders, can interfere with KSP needing to read/write to all of ITS files & folders...

Thats a basic problem with Windows: Microsoft expects everyone to save EVERYTHING on their computer in /Documents, /Pictures, /Music, /Video, & /Downloads... Problem with that is it doesnt leave much room for organization, and also, if Windows dies, to where it needs a reinstall, you lose EVERYTHING stored in those folders (the whole C:\, actually)... (And I have NEVER known a Windows install to be successfully repaired, at least without MUCH hassle... Easaier just to do fresh, clean reinstall...)

Anyway, i digress... LOL

Edited by Stone Blue

14 hours ago, Jas0n said:

CKAN should still work even if you're using an old version of KSP.

"Failed to download "https://github.com/Tantares/Taerobee/releases/download/v2.3/Taerobee.zip" - error: The request was aborted: The connection was closed unexpectedly."
--and--
"Failed to download "https://github.com/Signatum/SXT/releases/download/v25.1/SXT25pre.zip" - error: The request was aborted: The connection was closed unexpectedly."

CKAN can't install those two mods through the network for my 1.0.5, and RO/RP-0 depend on them. I can use CKAN, I just can't get my crucial mods. ...right? Does anyone have a solution to this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.