IRVEES - Imaging and Radial Velocity Exoplanet/Exomoon Search

Do You Want to Join IRVEES?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. One Answer Per User, Please

• Yes, Definitely, Absolutely!
    • Possibly...

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

Good luck! If you find a habitable planet, name it Kerbin!

I'll probably give it a nickname from some sort of mythology, and the name will start with K.

52 minutes ago, kunok said:

Oh, I don't have a telescope (or a good sky...) for participate, but I would like to collaborate.

Is too late here now, will read the entire thread tomorrow

If you want, you can help sort through collected data. That's what Tom Wagg did to find WASP-142b.

19 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

No! Instead, if you find 3 potentially habitable worlds in the same system, name them Eve, Kerbin, and Duna. :)

The odds of finding another system like TRAPPIST-1 are about 5 in-

200_s.gif

Speaking of the TRAPPIST-1 system, I named the planets after 3 of the Horae. They were named after the spirits of Fall, Spring, and Summer. TRAPPIST-1 is named after the Greek spelling for Themis, who was the mother of the Horae.

Can I make a strange suggestion, why don't you find a way to get a better telescope to the south pole and get an automated tracking system. You have 6 months of night, no humidity to speak of (except when the snow is blowing), 2 miles high and just connect the scope to the internet and have it track a star 24/7. The way you guys are looking at stars the variance in signal between scopes in bound to create artifacts. You need to get something that can see rocky planets. Literally if you started with stars that were axial to the axis of rotation you could simply leave it in one position, you would have 100s of stars in the field you could track at once. You might need a heater on the back to sublimate the ice, other than that should be able to handle itself.

21 minutes ago, PB666 said:

-snip-

That would be a great idea if this wasn't a mostly web-based program (as of now). I also don't want to get my eye frozen to the telescope eyepiece while looking at the LMC or something. But the telescope I'll be using later this month is pretty good: a 16" scope with multiple cameras, and is hooked up to a bunch of computers. Most of those computers have good telescope applications. This telescope can also track stars.

35 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

That would be a great idea if this wasn't a mostly web-based program (as of now). I also don't want to get my eye frozen to the telescope eyepiece while looking at the LMC or something. But the telescope I'll be using later this month is pretty good: a 16" scope with multiple cameras, and is hooked up to a bunch of computers. Most of those computers have good telescope applications. This telescope can also track stars.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting a willing collaborator to set up the equipment. 

35 minutes ago, PB666 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of getting a willing collaborator to set up the equipment. 

Honestly, I'm not too sure. Maybe sometime in the future...like in a few years.

Well, as my first collaboration effort I spot you an error:

On 8/5/2016 at 11:53 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

IRD'S

This should be also IDR:sticktongue:

Also one thing, there are very good cameras that aren't reflex, my mirrorless camera is way better than a lot of dlsr. But what I question, is the noise level of a "standard" photographic camera good enough for this? I doubt most consumer cameras are good enough for this, even the ones being Full frame and more...

33 minutes ago, kunok said:

Well, as my first collaboration effort I spot you an error:

This should be also IDR:sticktongue:

Also one thing, there are very good cameras that aren't reflex, my mirrorless camera is way better than a lot of dlsr. But what I question, is the noise level of a "standard" photographic camera good enough for this? I doubt most consumer cameras are good enough for this, even the ones being Full frame and more...

Unless you have a camera like the one from this video, I would recommend an actual astronomy camera like these ones:

• Orion StaShoot USB Eyepiece Camera ll
  • Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Imaging Camera (color or monochrome)
  • That's all I can find ATM

Check OPT for the right camera. Or you could collaborate with an observatory that's open to the public. And that's what I'm doing. Speaking of which...

Before I can start finding exoplanets, I'm going to be monitoring the transits of planets around Kepler-33, WASP-14, and HD 80606. If the telescope can detect every planet in every system, then it can surely detect Super-Earths around small stars.

6 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Unless you have a camera like the one from this video, I would recommend an actual astronomy camera like these ones:

• Orion StaShoot USB Eyepiece Camera ll
  • Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Imaging Camera (color or monochrome)
  • That's all I can find ATM

Check OPT for the right camera. Or you could collaborate with an observatory that's open to the public. And that's what I'm doing. Speaking of which...

Before I can start finding exoplanets, I'm going to be monitoring the transits of planets around Kepler-33, WASP-14, and HD 80606. If the telescope can detect every planet in every system, then it can surely detect Super-Earths around small stars.

Looks like my camera should be good enough, is a lot better than that camera, but I would need a longer lens. Still no good sky ;.;

IRVEES First Light is scheduled on May 27th or May 28th. First, the telescope will image Mars a few times. Then it will image the area around HD 89744. Finally, the telescope I'll be using for IRVEES will capture images of Kepler-33, WASP-14, and HD 80606. If First Light is on the 27th, then the 28th will be the date I finally look for transits.

18 hours ago, Spaceception said:

@ProtoJeb21

I'm now learning programming, maybe I can create something that can filter through Exoplanet data :)

Mike Brown did that to start searching for a ninth planet, back in like 2002. It wasn't the best, but it turned up dwarf planets like Quaoar and Sedna. The reason why Mike's program was buggy was that he didn't have much experience with software development (aka programming), which is something we won't have here. Take your time, though. :wink:

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Mike Brown did that to start searching for a ninth planet, back in like 2002. It wasn't the best, but it turned up dwarf planets like Quaoar and Sedna. The reason why Mike's program was buggy was that he didn't have much experience with software development (aka programming), which is something we won't have here. Take your time, though. :wink:

Alright :)

A little news for IRVEES First Light: I've changed targets. I was originally going to photograph and study Mars, HD 89744, HD 80606, WASP-14, and Kepler-33. Now I'm going to observe Mars, Saturn, HD 89744, GSC 03549-02811 (TrES-2), WASP-14, and Kepler-33. I'll have some cool images on the 28th if the weather is okay.

IRVEES First Light didn't go as planned. Three words: RANDOM ATTACK CLOUDS. But I am going to be visiting the observatory quite often to get experience with the equipment and to build up my experience with transiting exoplanets. The goal is to spot the transits of already discovered exoplanets, with the easier systems first and harder systems last. This will also show what types of planets and systems can be found.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 4:53 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:
  • A telescope with an aperture of 4-30" for Transits, and 10+" for all other methods. Make sure it can track stars!
  • Either a DSLR or deep-sky CCD camera.
  • A spectrometer for Radial Velocity.
  • A camera-to-lens adapter, depending on what camera you have.
  • A laptop.
  • An astro-imaging program like Fire Capture.
  • A program to analyse the light from a star.
  • A coronagraph that's large enough to block out the star but small enough to reveal planets closer to the star.
  • Lots of patience!

Wish I had... Any of these

19 hours ago, Kandjk said:

Wish I had... Any of these

You can still sort through stellar light curves, or partner with an observatory to search for planets. That's what Tom Wagg did to find WASP-142b, and it's also what this student did to find FOUR planets:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ubc-student-discovers-planets-1.3608375

19 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

You can still sort through stellar light curves, or partner with an observatory to search for planets. That's what Tom Wagg did to find WASP-142b, and it's also what this student did to find FOUR planets:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ubc-student-discovers-planets-1.3608375

Also, there are only three observatories in my state, one closed down 1 is on the opposite side of the state, and 1 costs half a grand to visit. And I don't have that kind of money and it is about an hour away.

And, I don't have anything to look at stellar lightcurves.

I've just created a list of names for different types of planets and substellar objects I may find in IRVEES, along with names for some host stars. All of these names are from mythologies, but barely any are from Greek/Roman myths. Here they are:

Hot Jupiter Names:

• Notos

• Euronotus

• Pietys

• Bieggolmai

• Xolotl

• Viduus (Evaporating planet)

• Soranus (Dying Hot Jupiter/Neptune)

Gas Giant Names:

• Septentrio

• Favonius (Habitable Zone gas planet)

• Kaikias

• Caecius

• Menuo

• Dogoda

• Kamar (Planet like HR 8799 b)

• Bia (Dense gas giant)

• Indra (Mars-like temperatures)

Oceania/Water Giant Names:

• Apeliotes

• Bangputys

• Tawhiri

• Grannus (Hot oceania)

• Kharybdis

Terrestrial Planet Names (All Types):

• Ausrine/Ausra (Venus Analogue)

• Vakarine (Colder Venus Analogue)

• Giltine (Hell planet)

• Nantosuelta (Hot planet w/ water vapor atmosphere)

• Ch’aska (Venus analogue)

• Ceuthonymus (Hell planet)

• Sethlans (Hot terrestrial)

• Logi (Hell planet)

• Peklenc (Large, hot Super-Earth)

• Svarozic (Large, hot terrestrial)

• Chantico (Hot terrestrial)

• Montu (Small, hot terrestrial)

• Sekhmet (Temperate/cool terrestrial, possibly desert)

• Erida (Mars analogue)

• Kratos (Large Super-Earth; warm, temperate, or cool)

• Proioxis (Co-orbital planet)

• Polemos (Planet with co-orbital twin)

• PHE Names:

•  

• Zemyna

• Kupole (Something like Kepler-452b)

• Laume

• Artio

• Ash (Super-Mars)

• Physis (Old Earth analogue)

• Feronia

Brown Dwarf Names:

• Mawu

• Olwen

• Agni

• Khnum (Red-Brown Dwarf)

• Bezelea

Eccentric Jupiter/Planet Names:

• Cocijo

• Huracan

• Oya

• Tohil

• Ukko

Host Star Names:

• Thesan (Red dwarf with PHE)

• Nefertem (Red dwarf)

• Arinna (K-dwarf)

• Aryaman (G/F-Dwarf)

• Surya (G-dwarf)

• Istanu (Giant star, M/K/G/F)

• Quyllur (Star with Venus analogue)

• Akycha (F-Dwarf)

• Malina (G-Dwarf)

• Zorya (Binary system)

• Zorya A: Utrennyaya

• Zorya B: Vechernyaya

• Koyash (Late K/Early G-Dwarf) 
Edited by ProtoJeb21

• 2 weeks later...

IRVEES First Light (aka my observations on 6/14/16) went a lot differently than I expected, but it was a very successful night.

The transit of HAT-P-22b started earlier than me and most of the people I was working with expected. Therefore, we had to start observations very quickly to catch the start of the transit. We took about 100 images of HAT-P-22 and the surrounding stars, each image with a 10-30 second exposure (I don't remember exactly). We did three observations of the transit: the first 20 minutes, right in the middle, and the last 15 minutes.

In between the observations of HAT-P-22b's transit, we did a few other things. First, we tried to reduce image noise on the CCD camera with several imaging techniques of random patches of sky in Ursa Major and Canes Venatici. After the image noise had been reduced, we took a lot of images of the spiral galaxy Messier 106 (M106, NGC 4258). The first raw image came out the best, and had a cool satellite trail near the galaxy. But what a surprise - it got deleted.

Between the middle and end of the transit, I took part in the follow-up observations of a new asteroid only known as XL16A7 (I think). It was in the constellation of Bootes, was moving pretty fast, and was around magnitude 18.0. That's pretty bright for an asteroid. A few other people showed up for the asteroid tracking part, which took an hour. We were able to confirm that the asteroid was there.

Some quick facts about XL16A7: it was discovered less than 12 hours before we observed it, and we were one of the very first observatories to look at it.

I was able to catch the last 10 minutes of the transit. Also, I got 2 images processed and sent to me that night. One is of M106, and the other is the patch of sky with HAT-P-22. We were able to see what seemed to be a binary companion to HAT-P-22.

I don't have the light curve for HAT-P-22 yet. The data has yet to be processed, but I should have the star's light curve by tomorrow at the latest.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.