Navball upside down

Ive made no changes to the games settings and as far as I know steam has not updated anything.  I am running KSP 1.1.2 on a macbook pro 2012 Yosemite 10.10.4.  Today when I loaded my career save (my account apparently is not allowed to upload screenshots to the forum) my navball is upside down with north pointing towards me.  I launched anyway and began turning east for a gravity turn in map view, The vector on the map view confirmed I was heading east.  However when I closed map view to stage I found my craft was clearly heading west over the KSC.  I continued with the launch to see what would happen and returned to the map to check my eyes (still showing my Apo as being headed eastwards over the ocean).  Shortly afterwards the map kind of jumped about and showed my craft as now being westward bound.  Only mod I have installed is mechjeb (which was not being used for ascent assist only for DV calculations).  The craft was flown manually at all times.

I have quite both the save file to reload it from the main menu and quit KSP entirely to reload from scratch the still have the same bug.  

Any ideas anyone?

22 minutes ago, ag3nt108 said:

(my account apparently is not allowed to upload screenshots to the forum)

No normal users are allowed to upload anything directly to the forum.  You need to use imgur.com (or any other hosting site that provides direct links usable in forum posts) for best results.

I'm pretty sure that there was a fairly recent post discussing a similar issue but I can't find it now so I guess it was probably in the 1.1 pre-release sub-forum.

22 minutes ago, ag3nt108 said:

Only mod I have installed is mechjeb (which was not being used for ascent assist only for DV calculations).  The craft was flown manually at all times.

Regardless of what MJ was or wasn't being used for, it was installed, so this thread should be in the modded support sub-forum (and you should read and follow the advice given in the "How to get support" sticky thread).  I suspect a moderator will move it at some point.

Edited by Padishar

When you're on the launch pad and looking at your ship, with the ocean (East) to your right and KSC (West) on your left, and you're looking North, North is SUPPOSED to be down on the navball. This is disconcerting at first but set up so that 90 degrees (East) is to the right just like for your ship. Compare what you see to the navballs in this Google Image Search: KSP Launch Pad

54 minutes ago, ag3nt108 said:

I launched anyway and began turning east for a gravity turn in map view, The vector on the map view confirmed I was heading east.  However when I closed map view to stage I found my craft was clearly heading west over the KSC.  I continued with the launch to see what would happen and returned to the map to check my eyes (still showing my Apo as being headed eastwards over the ocean).  Shortly afterwards the map kind of jumped about and showed my craft as now being westward bound

That part seems weird. I'd love to see your pictures once uploaded to Imgur or something similar.

One possibility: your ship got turned around in the VAB, so right actually IS West. Remember, when you're on the launch pad you're actually moving over 200 m/s East due to the rotation of the planet. When you launch your arc will appear to go out over the ocean even though you're not actually going that way relative to the ground.

Though in that case, North on your navball should be pointing UP, not DOWN. When you say it's pointing toward you, do you mean up, toward your ship?

Edited by 5thHorseman
I mixed up right and left in the first paragraph. Sorry. No wonder my shoes are so uncomfortable...

So as the 5th Horseman has very kindly and patiently pointed out I am in fact something of a moron, google searches confirm the Navball should indeed show North as pointing down (in relation to the top of a monitor).  I had myself convinced it should be up (in relation to the top of the monitor). Perhaps the only reason I even noticed the supposed bug was the odd behaviour of my craft on launch which was showing an eastward vector on the map after 42 seconds of burn time from 4 Bac solid thumper rockets (TWR of around 1.7) easily enough I think to cancel any planetary rotation from kerbin.  regardless all of my subsequent launches have been unable to replicate this rather odd bug and since the Navball is behaving as it should (with my own perception being in error) we can probably close this topic while I slink away and hang my head in shame!

If I am unlucky enough to replicate the behaviour I will try and post pictures of evidence (if only to prove my own sanity) but I live in a very rural part of south east Asia and my connection is painfully slow at the best of times.

Edited by ag3nt108

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.