Ace Combat Discussion Thread

James510

Ace Combat Five had one of my favorite story progressions. One starts as a complete newb getting taken around by your captain and doing fun stuff. By the third(?) Mission, you are sneak attacked in base, your captain is killed and none of your squad know what they are doing.

About half way through the game you end up sinking the opposing side's super sub and you gain the nickname "Demons of Razgriz". The player knows very little of this legend, but nothing makes you feel more awesome than going around bombing tanks and hearing your enemies/friends commenting on how awesome your team is.

Along the way, the only characterization of your squad you get is voice over chatter. Chopper, Nagase, and Archer are awesome and unique. Chopper is always mouthing off on everything, Nagase is always grounding the political/humanitarian situation, and Archer grows up to overcome his insecurities. Sword (i forget his name) is also an awesome character though i don't remember much of him tbh). Shoot, even the Kestrel, the Aircraft Carrier you defend from time to time is a character of its own! Chopper and the Kestrel's deaths are among the saddest moments in my gaming history.

Another plus is the story progression; it goes from Osea(America) is good, Yuktobania (Russia) is bad, to Yuktobania not bad at all and thought it was defending itself too. A third player (forgot the name) had sneak attacked BOTH sides leading to an all out war between the two super powers. The Cutscene with The Prime Minister of Yuktobania and the President of Osea shaking hands is pretty cool.

First time i did the mission where the Yuktobanian air force joins yoyr side and starts singing the Osean national anthem; man that scene is great! Or when Osea is attacked and the people in the Stadium all sing the Yuktobanian anthem after booing the Vice President's jingoistic speech. Man even that level where you are defending the helicopters and you hear the chatter of the Special Forces Units breaking and entering. I don't remember ANY of the objectives i had to complete in tese missions; i only remember the radio chatter.

As you can see, Ace Combat 5 is amongst my favorite games of all time and i ALWAYS put it forth as an example of a game that provided compelling storytelling with fun play.

The "third player" was Belka.

Ah thanks, I'd forgotten that. Ace Combat Zero wasn't a favorite of mine for some reason.

Holy necro!!!!!!!!!

Yes it was a necro. Please, next time don't do the whole "necromoaning" thing. Report a post is the best way of getting the attention of mods.

(Though, um, obviously this one already had the attention of a mod ;p)

Edited by AmpsterMan

• 1 month later...

March to May.

That's not a necro, right? Right?

Right.

You guys say Assault Horizon didn't happen?

Assault Horizon happened. It was good... compared to the horrible free-to-play monstrosity of Infinity. THAT doesn't exist.

• 1 month later...
Ace combat assalt horizon had 29 QTE, only 4 of them did something if you failed to press Y

Well then, that certainly puts things into perspective...

You guys say Assault Horizon didn't happen?

Assault Horizon happened. It was good... compared to the horrible free-to-play monstrosity of Infinity. THAT doesn't exist.

When comparing Malaria to Ebola, I would still pick neither if at all possible :sticktongue:

I really wish they would give us an HD re-master of the PS2 trilogy (4,5,0).

Surely they couldn't botch that right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.