7 minutes ago, Scotius said:

I. Understand. You. Not.

I think hes asking how can light be magnetically powered if the spindown radiation is less than normal neutrons. 

I think the answer is that in normal neutrons the major mass layers are more tightly coupled but spinning faster. In a magnetar that might have resulted from recent collisions, its is spinning slower but the two mass layers are less tightly coupled, one is spinning much faster than the other, potentially in opposite directions, as a result despite the low speed a large transient magnetic field is generated. Electromagnetism is reciprocations between the two components of light,mwith a strong magnetic field coupkes electric field capable of stripping anything, everything of its elctrons and shooting them intonspace at very high speeds in the magnetic field, collisions would generate alot of blavk pole like wavelengths. 

Needless to say this is a environment very hostile to human spaceflight, not to worry these stars radiation is relativly short lived,mand eventually they go grey. 

1 hour ago, KerbalKyle45kk said:

no, im asking what happens when magnetars are close in a solar system's range.

:wink:

Why would you ask that, you mean like their poles oppose so the slam into each other at the speed of light, why don't we make them out of matter and anti matter , I bet that would set off the ligo detectors. How far out would that sterilize all life, few hundred light years. 

2 hours ago, KerbalKyle45kk said:

Hypothetically speaking, magnetars near planets with Earth-like interiors can possibly rip out that planet's iron core and cause the rest of the planet to collapse, after causing extreme volcanism and possibly tearing of the planet's tectonic plates.

If a magnetar were to have a Starquake about 50,000 light-years away, it will shave off about 1% of the exosphere (that happened with the 2004 magnetar flare). However, a magnetar flare at half that distance could destroy the ENTIRE exosphere. At 10,000 light-years away, it could destroy the atmospheres of Mars and Mercury while damaging up to 40-50% of Earth's air. A magnetar flare at 1,000 light-years away can possibly destroy most electronics on Earth, heavily damage the atmosphere, and destroy the entire Ozone Layer. And if a magnetar were to flare at a close distance to the Solar System...

stock-vector-an-illustration-of-a-planet

23 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Hypothetically speaking, magnetars near planets with Earth-like interiors can possibly rip out that planet's iron core and cause the rest of the planet to collapse, after causing extreme volcanism and possibly tearing of the planet's tectonic plates.

If a magnetar were to have a Starquake about 50,000 light-years away, it will shave off about 1% of the exosphere (that happened with the 2004 magnetar flare). However, a magnetar flare at half that distance could destroy the ENTIRE exosphere. At 10,000 light-years away, it could destroy the atmospheres of Mars and Mercury while damaging up to 40-50% of Earth's air. A magnetar flare at 1,000 light-years away can possibly destroy most electronics on Earth, heavily damage the atmosphere, and destroy the entire Ozone Layer. And if a magnetar were to flare at a close distance to the Solar System...

Jeez, are there any within the 'danger' distance?

So that's what magnetars are. I thought they were something Kurt Cobain made up, like 'aqua sea foam shame.'

Thank you for informing me of what a magnetar is, I am forever in debt to your priceless advice.

If you didn't get that, google Heart-Shaped Box by Nirvana.

Isn't a dangerously large solar flare more likely to happen than a magnetar flare?

1 hour ago, Robotengineer said:

So that's what magnetars are. I thought they were something Kurt Cobain made up, like 'aqua sea foam shame.'

Thank you for informing me of what a magnetar is, I am forever in debt to your priceless advice.

If you didn't get that, google Heart-Shaped Box by Nirvana.

Isn't a dangerously large solar flare more likely to happen than a magnetar flare?

Magnetars  persist much longer than solar flares.

On 6/5/2016 at 0:13 PM, KerbalKyle45kk said:

:wink:

On 6/5/2016 at 1:40 PM, PB666 said:

Why would you ask that, you mean like their poles oppose so the slam into each other at the speed of light, why don't we make them out of matter and anti matter , I bet that would set off the ligo detectors. How far out would that sterilize all life, few hundred light years. 

On 6/5/2016 at 2:30 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

This sounds like a question for Randall Munroe! It might even be the second most destructive! Anyways, I hope there aren't any of these things very close to us. Interesting stuff, though!

Edited by cubinator

6 minutes ago, KerbalKyle45kk said:

well if a magnetar is the 2nd most Cataclystmic event in the universe, then what is the 1st?

I believe it was if the earth became entirely protons and the Moon became entirely electrons 

43 minutes ago, KerbalKyle45kk said:

well if a magnetar is the 2nd most Cataclystmic event in the universe, then what is the 1st?

The first event was the most Cataclysmic. One can measure it in delta energy per delta space, at infinite energy density and an initial inflation to less than a soccer-ball size, thats a pretty good shift in energy and at 1E-33 of a second. THing is that there was no matter to register it, that would come much later.

Although I have to say, if you are close to two black holes merging, I don't think there would be a fault line on earth that wouldn't rupture as the space-time ripple past over them. Comets like 67p would probably tear apart along with a large number of asteroids, so you would have increased risk of asteroid collisions. Again if you were that close to the merger, chances are you are more worried about orbital decay of your host star to a black hole. A space-time ripple would be akin to pulling a table cloth from underneath a table setting without toppling the pieces.

The milky way has many small galaxies orbiting it, if one of these GBHs were to merge with the GBH of the milky way you could see a powerful ripple sent out that we might notice on earth.

41 minutes ago, PB666 said:

Not even close, thats EM energy. 

But you know what happens when you put lots of negative charge together, right? A whole lunar mass of it?

https://what-if.xkcd.com/140/

problems.png

The electrons would be pushed apart with such force that they would gain enough relativistic mass to become a black hole with as much energy as the observable universe. That would be incredibly destructive.

15 minutes ago, cubinator said:

But you know what happens when you put lots of negative charge together, right? A whole lunar mass of it?

https://what-if.xkcd.com/140/

problems.png

The electrons would be pushed apart with such force that they would gain enough relativistic mass to become a black hole with as much energy as the observable universe. That would be incredibly destructive.

But he only considered the electron moon, the proton earth would also form a black hole with tremnedous attrcation and protons would cancel out ans some of the electrins so the the hole would not be naked. Anyway black hole no problem unless yiubare tidally locked to it, far enough away you just orbit. 

Bigger problem, not possible to accumulate that much charge in on plce so its an unreal postulate. 

9 minutes ago, PB666 said:

But he only considered the electron moon, the proton earth would also form a black hole with tremnedous attrcation and protons would cancel out ans some of the electrins so the the hole would not be naked. Anyway black hole no problem unless yiubare tidally locked to it, far enough away you just orbit.

He did mention the proton Earth, explaining that an Earth mass of protons has much less charge than a Moon mass of electrons, because a proton weighs much more than an electron for the same charge. The proton Earth would barely affect the electron Moon because it would have so many more electrons than protons. The black holes would merge instantly and the Problems would go on expanding.

9 minutes ago, PB666 said:

Bigger problem, not possible to accumulate that much charge in on plce so its an unreal postulate. 

Well, it certainly falls under "absurd hypothetical questions". :)

Edited by cubinator

9 hours ago, cubinator said:

He did mention the proton Earth, explaining that an Earth mass of protons has much less charge than a Moon mass of electrons, because a proton weighs much more than an electron for the same charge. The proton Earth would barely affect the electron Moon because it would have so many more electrons than protons. The black holes would merge instantly and the Problems would go on expanding.

Well, it certainly falls under "absurd hypothetical questions". :)

And you brought it up then because?

On 6/6/2016 at 11:21 AM, KerbalKyle45kk said:

okay, WHAT is the maximum distance that any celestial object cannot be pulled into the Magnetar? also, what if two magnetars collided? (unlikely)

The magnetar should be at least 300,000 to 1,000,000 miles away from a rocky planet to keep it intact. For gas giants, at least 1.5 million miles.

Also, magnetar collisions may either produce a stellar-mass black hole or a highly magnetic black hole.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.