What should I add to my Mun base?

Brownhair2

Title says it all.

Mun Base

The small docking module near the bottom rover is probably going to be moved. Science parts aren't necessary, since this is sandbox. Best I can think of is more of the small habitation modules, like the one in the bottom right corner.

That's an excellent mod for building bases, it's good for building interplanetary ships too. Personally I'd add more lighting, maybe a small tower with a number of lamps on the center section, I like to have good lighting. That's a pretty cool base btw. :D

Science parts aren't "necessary" in sandbox, but they're nice to have. They add some nice additional detail that can often help to complete the looks of a base.

Also, perhaps you could expand this Mun base into a Mun colony. Get a couple of massive crew transports (I've found that 24 kerbals (achieved with a vertical launcher and 4 mk2 crew cabins and command pods) is often incredibly effective) and send a lot of kerbals to the Mun. Maybe add some huge habitation modules, and some much larger rovers.

Finally, I would suggest a station in orbit, as well as at least two reusable Mun landers, one for crew and one for ore. The station could serve as: a fuel depot for interplanetary vessels (complete with refinery because it's easier to take ore to orbit than fuel), a transitional habitat for crew who are headed to/from the ground station to stay when the landers or Kerbin return vehicles are unavailable; and a station for any exploratory landers to dock with to refuel or transfer crew or science.

3 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Science parts aren't "necessary" in sandbox, but they're nice to have. They add some nice additional detail that can often help to complete the looks of a base.

Also, perhaps you could expand this Mun base into a Mun colony. Get a couple of massive crew transports (I've found that 24 kerbals (achieved with a vertical launcher and 4 mk2 crew cabins and command pods) is often incredibly effective) and send a lot of kerbals to the Mun. Maybe add some huge habitation modules, and some much larger rovers.

Finally, I would suggest a station in orbit, as well as at least two reusable Mun landers, one for crew and one for ore. The station could serve as: a fuel depot for interplanetary vessels (complete with refinery because it's easier to take ore to orbit than fuel), a transitional habitat for crew who are headed to/from the ground station to stay when the landers or Kerbin return vehicles are unavailable; and a station for any exploratory landers to dock with to refuel or transfer crew or science.

I have been thinking of making larger habitation modules to accompany the small ones. Maybe have them directly dock on to the base. Rockets were also an idea, hence the docking module at the bottom. A space station would probably make it easier to refuel though. Good ideas.

I'm not sure what docking port you're referring to. Perhaps some images of the base when it's in daylight would help. Also, I think I'm seeing drills and a refinery, so I'd definitely suggest a very large fuel storage, perhaps one on a rover with a couple of claws so that it can transfer fuel to/from your crew transport and you don't need to be quite as careful with your landings.

20 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I'm not sure what docking port you're referring to. Perhaps some images of the base when it's in daylight would help. Also, I think I'm seeing drills and a refinery, so I'd definitely suggest a very large fuel storage, perhaps one on a rover with a couple of claws so that it can transfer fuel to/from your crew transport and you don't need to be quite as careful with your landings.

Yeah, it was pretty bad timing on the image. I'm in the middle of a launch, but when I'm done I'll make a better one.

EDIT:

Mun Base Day

There's another small habitation module not shown here.

Edited by Brownhair2

9 hours ago, Dralon Perfecto said:

For surface bases, I really like the Kerbal Planetary Bases mod. Can't tell if the height would be compatible with your existing base, but definitely worth a look if surface bases are your thing.

Hm. Too late for me to add this to my Mun base, but this looks too awesome too pass up. I might use this for a different planet or moon though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.