KSP has unrealistic/distorted 3D rendering

12 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

Then live with it and stop complaining. KSP is KSP.

I'm not complaining, I'm explaining. Something seems wrong with KSP. You guys are free to disagree with me. Apparently many of you do. Maybe I don't have much of an argument. I thought I did when I posted this. I gained a lot from posting this topic and I don't regret it. If you don't have anything to add, then just don't post anything. There is no need to call me out when I have done nothing wrong!

My point was... there is nothing wrong with KSP, its a game, KSP is KSP and you cannot change it. They are limited to what they can do by UNITY and trying to make a playable game for everyone. If you want real reality... try the real thing... seriously, no offence, but its about the ONLY way you will accept what you see.

I dunno. I think it's an interesting exercise. I find it very easy to get confused by the camera in KSP anyway

I don't know how many times I've been annoyed because I middle clicked somewhere and accidentally drug the focus of the camera off center and there's no way to perfectly center it again without changing scenes (at least as far as I've found). It always annoys me that the camera doesn't zoom or adjust the FOV in relation to the axis of where the camera is pointing, but along a line connecting the camera to the center of your craft/Kerbal. This effect alone could be part of what is giving @thereaverofdarkness2 some annoyance.

2 hours ago, thereaverofdarkness2 said:

In any other game, the whole environment seems to change shape as you adjust view angle,

Which is not what should happen in photography in real life.

Only physically moving closer or further from the object will cause the angles and surfaces to appear to distort in real life due to shifting the perspective. Widening your field of view while staying in the same position will do nothing more than allow you to see beyond the "edges" of the frame from what you saw before. Everything that was in your field of view before should look nearly identical (not accounting for particular lens artifacts) in the new wide-field picture, only now you can see what you might call the "sides" of the picture spreading out from the center. Those "sides" were always there and would have looked just as curvy and distorted if they hadn't been cropped out by the narrow field of vision of  your close lens.

15 minutes ago, HvP said:

I middle clicked somewhere and accidentally drug the focus of the camera off center and there's no way to perfectly center it again without changing scenes

There is a way but I always forget it. The easiest way I remember how to do is to hit M twice to go into and out of map mode.

Maybe something like double-clicking the middle button?

6 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Maybe something like double-clicking the middle button?

Well, would you look at that!

Yes, double-clicking the middle button centers the camera again. So apparently it's Death, Famine, War, Pestilence and Tech Support. Actually, that sounds about right for the Apocalypse. Thank you!

^ I always just tapped V few times to get back to auto mode. And every camera change reverts its focus back to the CoM.

But double-click sounds faster.

About Fov and all that stuff, I'm going to post here some pics, but later, now finding them would be a pain

EDIT: Interesting things I found a while ago, I just would like to hear your word about it and how it's different from anything else posted here.

HitchcockZoom_Micael_Reynaud.gif

and VertigoEffect.gif

Edited by The Aziz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.