What Lies Below

Dizzle

So I recently conducted a rover mission to the equatorial arch on the Mun, and I couldn\'t help but notice something from an aerial view of the place.

WhatLiesBelow.png

I\'m probably wrong, but doesn\'t it almost look like the arch is just the top part of something that\'s buried underneath?

The perfect thing to make a space elevator with. ;P

Not sure you can acually make a space elevator on the mun. I\'m pretty sure munostationary orbit is beyond its SOI, since its day is a month. But I agree! That would be cool!

Sidenote, does anybody know if minimus is tidally locked?

To me it looks like some giant buried his briefcase there but didn\'t did deep enough so the top bit protrudes after being buried. Plus he forgot to fold down his handle. Maybe there\'s gold in it, I wonder how many boosters it\'ll take before I can crack it open.

If you really want to know...

An occasional glitch while resuming a flight in-progress sets the camera angle so that you\'re looking slightly below the surface. KSP worlds are hollow, and there\'s nothing under the surface. Well, kind of...

A glowing blue dot that is no doubt just some graphics leftover can be seen inside Kerbin, and once a very strange glitch allowed my lander to pass through the surface of Mun, and after a while and descending several hundred meters, it exploded as if it had hit some invisible something. So worlds are empty, or are they?

Which is not to say the developers couldn\'t put stuff down there later. :D

I thought it was possible that it only looked this way because it was on top of a valley. I kind of suspected it while approaching it in the rover, but a low fly-by this morning seems to disprove that. It\'s its own formation.

I propose it is the remains of an ancient munar catapult system for sending cargo back to Kerbin or into orbit for retrieval by passing craft. Most of it has collapsed due to munquakes and nearby meteor strikes, but that one support arch remains as testament of an ancient space-faring race. Either the kerbals were space faring before in a far-flung epoch, or the Kerbol system has played host or home to another race. We must be vigilant and discover more!

Ahaha, that\'s a great name ;D

Thank the community. Depending on their location, each 'monolith' has its own noms de guerre. If it is on Kerbin, which has a few, it is a kerbilith. If it is on the Mun(about 2-3 at least documented), then it is a munolith. And if it is on Minmus(or floating, as it were) then it is a minmolith. Whether there is a kerbolith remains to be seen, though you would need to borrow Jeb\'s shades for that.

Whether the future planets get their own black monuments remains to be seen, but it is pretty safe to deduce their specific names will have a twist on their planetary location slipped in. For example, if the next planet out from Kerbin is named 'Kars', which I rather hope it isn\'t, then any monoliths on its vicinity would probably be called karboliths.

Thus endeth the lesson.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.