Fastest aircraft possible

13 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

i am a noob in the forum. how do u post photos??

Use an imagehosting service. Imgur is what I use, and what most other people here use, but as long as you get a URL for your image(s), you can use whatever. There should be an option at the bottom of the post box to insert media, you can use that to actually display the pics.

Edited by Grenartia

14 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

i am a noob in the forum. how do u post photos??

upload your pictures to imgur.   Come back here and click reply to post.      Click on the little black "i" below the "Bold" icon.      Paste in the end of the link to your imgur album.

I.E.

Take the link   http://imgur.com/a/m8C6K

Use this part   m8C6K

18 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

oh right

NJS49B2.png

YASSSSS!!!!!!

pic no good cause in evening. getting some more updated pics.

YnAWnOX.png

16AE0rn.png

ill make a vid on it and post it on my yt channel

Theres still no specs. Just put a screenshot with top speed and flight time. It's easy.

Edited by Gman_builder

Here's a first attempt, with FAR, heat limited to 1530ish m/s. Did a quick test with heating off & was only 100m/s or so faster, but I'm not building for that.

28361772475_b20d2a026a_b.jpg
28283139221_d68a895930_b.jpg
28258002272_bc411a27d2_b.jpg

That screenshot has all the relevant info.

Edited by Van Disaster

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:22 AM, Van Disaster said:

Here's a first attempt, with FAR, heat limited to 1530ish m/s. Did a quick test with heating off & was only 100m/s or so faster, but I'm not building for that.

28361772475_b20d2a026a_b.jpg
28283139221_d68a895930_b.jpg
28258002272_bc411a27d2_b.jpg

That screenshot has all the relevant info.

Nice! I believe this is the fastest one yet besides my own plane. I have this challenge personally on the side while I try to break records for turboprop aircraft. I am currently the second fastest turboprop builder as well XD. I had the record for a solid 12 hours before Azimech came out of whatever cave he'd been in for the last weekish and revealed something only 17 m/s faster than me! We are now less than 100m/s from the sound barrier.

9 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Send screenshots bruh

Uh, like from earlier in the challenge? I'll just put them in this spoiler box so they don't take up too much space. They're just on page 3 and 4 I think. You'll need to click on the imgur link in the spoiler because imgur + spoiler tabs don't mix.

Spoiler

On 6/29/2016 at 10:43 PM, Cunjo Carl said:

Right on, the fairing's a great way to go! Very close to it (surprisingly) is the inflatable nose cone. The inflatable nose cone provides much better thermal protection and stability at a slight drag cost. For me, it's worth it in droves, but I suspect your design will push closer to the mach 6 limit in the end. I'm accustomed to this design style from my work in the Escape Velocity: The Hypersonic Race, where the substantially greater speeds allowed by NERVs (never thought I'd say that) necessitate the higher heat tolerance.

This craft flies mach 5.7ish in both stock and FAR, and has a few interesting design points. Shock cones (hands down the best air intake for our purpose) can be mounted inside the inflatable heat shield cage using radial attachment points on whatever is connected to the heat shield. There's room for 4 in there with minor clipping. This protects the intakes without occluding them. Underneath the inflatable heat shield, it's convenient to put a 2.5m service bay for all your things. Cores, batteries, science, and Kerbals all fit in here nicely. Service bays make the best command pods!

As we scale up, the drag from the heat shield becomes progressively lower relative to the thrust, so we start getting faster and faster. Click through the pictures to see the step by step improvement- Here we go!

Hey, we've been discussing speed in terms of mach number, which I think is a great way to do it. In FAR (which I'm using for some reason), it's very easy to determine your mach number. You can simply type in a mach number and an altitude, and it provides you the speed. How are people calculating mach numbers in stock?

Finally, there's many silly ways to make your plane less draggy in FAR, like putting BigS strakes all over it, like a flattened porcupine. I'm starting to feel the temptation!

On 7/2/2016 at 1:16 AM, Cunjo Carl said:

For sure! It took me ages to figure out this one at first.

Ohhh.... You're engine clipping! In retrospect it makes sense, you haven't written one way or the other, but 'No Engine Clipping' is just one of those defacto rules that goes assumed unless stated otherwise, so I think everyone's been playing by that because you can't see the engines in the Aurora's pics. Full clipping can lead to some bizarre looking ships with incredible abilities, but I'll just use it to make my Penguin go a bit faster. Ante up'd! mach 5.85.

214.png

Edited by Cunjo Carl

1 hour ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Uh, like from earlier in the challenge? I'll just put them in this spoiler box so they don't take up too much space. They're just on page 3 and 4 I think. You'll need to click on the imgur link in the spoiler because imgur + spoiler tabs don't mix.

Hide contents

Aight sick ill update the leaderboard

2 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Did you fix the weird fuel consumption bug with your game yet?

Ya, i'm not getting crazy mileage out of things anymore, which is good. And it wasn't so much fuelconsumption as weird readings of how long i travelled.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.