Elcano Mission - Dolomedes Triton

Maverick_aus

@damerell thanks! Yeah, I hope to get the most out of the adventure by discovering and naming features etc, but yeah - there are some long blue stretches...

@Geschosskopf thanks. It was quite a surprise to find my rookie Mission Report on the TOTM! I have been putting some effort into it, trying to share a sense of the fun I've had testing so far. But I've got a lot to learn in writing interesting and quality threads. So hopefully other people get some pleasure out of this too (and can cope with my first attempts at writing). There are some incredible threads out there. 

Path Research
Decisions, decisions. Paths to consider. ScanSat's terrain and slope maps are very helpful too. 
Checking out the ice (either way) appeals

fMYJSra.jpg

@Geschosskopf Did you consider the southerly way in your prep phase (red on my map)? 

Update
I'm now also considering seriously the orange route (see updated map above).  Several reasons for this:
1. Diminishing solar energy available at higher latitudes.
2. My boat-car's excellent impression of a car-boat (ie it seems to be able to rove really well on land, for a boat). So much land crossing is a big ask, but I suspect the craft is up to it. 
3. It's more a direct equatorial circumnav. Not only potentially quicker, but I feel closer to the spirit of the challenge.
4. It will give the pilots and engineers of KSC a good taste of both land and sea travel, as experience for future expeditions. This longer land experience would be invaluable for planning the famed (and infamed) polar circumnav of Kerbin, (in case this challenge is not enough, and I've still got the itch for more Elcano Kerbin-side).

Update 
Route decision made! See on the Final Planning post for the winner!

Edited by Maverick_aus
update

42 minutes ago, Maverick_aus said:

Did you consider the southerly way in your prep phase (red on my map)? 

I considered crossing the equatorial isthmus where you have the "?" but decided not to because 1) the terrain is much rougher and 2) because I had a solar-powered boat, I didn't want to spend that much time in the high south latitudes.  Now, if you don't rely on sunlight, and your boat can handle rough terrain, then you shorten the trip by doing most of the circle in the highest latitudes.

But regardless of your powerplant, you need to limit your blue water time so you can hit the beach often enough to plant flags that show your progress.  Also, that's a good place to save the game.  It used to be that you couldn't always save the game if your boat was in the water.  That might have changed since last year, though.

5 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I considered crossing the equatorial isthmus where you have the "?" but decided not to because 1) the terrain is much rougher and 2) because I had a solar-powered boat, I didn't want to spend that much time in the high south latitudes.  Now, if you don't rely on sunlight, and your boat can handle rough terrain, then you shorten the trip by doing most of the circle in the highest latitudes.

But regardless of your powerplant, you need to limit your blue water time so you can hit the beach often enough to plant flags that show your progress.  Also, that's a good place to save the game.  It used to be that you couldn't always save the game if your boat was in the water.  That might have changed since last year, though.

Yes - the lines on the map are rough - I'll be planning on beaching each night. And that's a helpful tip re: saving on water - thanks. I'll check it.

6 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I just got caught up on your thread... wow!  It's been fun watching your ship evolve, and I'm really looking forward to the journey itself!  Good luck!

@Just Jim Hi! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. It's satisfying being able to give back a little to this community having gotten so much out of others people's posts, mission reports etc in the past. I believe you've done some Elcano adventuring yourself? - to the Mun was it? I'll look forward to catching up on how yours went. 

Preparation Checklist
Compiling a list of things to do and decisions to make before setting off:

1. Determine how much of the daylight I can usefully use for driving. So far I've found I can run dual propellers up until around two sun's diameters' above the horizon. I know, I know. This is not very scientific. But it's a start. At that point, I drop back to one prop and continue on. But how long?
  2. Decide whether to include large batteries reserves to enable travel right up to sunset (and even into darkness?). Weight tradeoff here. Considering Near Electric capacitors as an alternative - better storage density. 
  3. Design and test air drop-able replacement vehicle, including transporter. (No, not the Star Trek type :) Think C-130). Orbital drop could be fun. 
  4. Juno utilisation. How much will we use these?
    4.1 Emergency powerplant only (very little to no fuel carried). Here the thinking is, if the props are damaged, I can refuel, complete the expedition on jet power alone. Many refuels. 
    4.2. Occasional thrust boost for steep inclines (little-moderate fuel carried) no refuel required.
    4.3. Night travel. 100% solar-powered electric props during the days, 100% LF-fuelled Juno-powered travel at night. (full fuel load day 1) several to many refuels required
    4.4 Juno + electric props full time. Don't really need this level of speed, so only expecting to use this if I get unexpectedly bored and frustrated with how long the open sea stretches take. Like 3, entails many refuels. 
  5. Finalise 'macro' path. Micro path to be determined on the way. 
    5.1 Which land bridge to cross? See map.
    5.2 Aerial survey to be performed. 
    5.3 Check ScanSat altimetry and slope maps.
    5.4 Anomalies. How many of these do I want to visit on the way?
    5.5 Land stops? Where and how many. Juno utilisation affects this. Night travel = less stops, day only = more
    5.6 I'd prefer to go "the path less traveled". Check past routes on mission reports and with the veteran Elcano explorers. 
  6. How many solar panels. How many do I really want. ATM the part count is a little high (100+) resulting in a small but noticeable (and detested) lag. Obviously this impacts the battery question above.
  7. Check craft vertical stabiliser. Is such a large one really necessary. Two smaller ones perhaps, on the end of the pontoons would be better?
  8. Design and test air drop-able replenishment vehicle. Think LF tank-with-dockingport. Aerial or orbital.
  9. What have I missed? 

Please feel free to add your comments or questions regarding these or anything else pertinent. 

UPDATE: Solutions to these conundrums  in the Final Planning post!

Edited by Maverick_aus
numbering

9 hours ago, Maverick_aus said:

Please feel free to add your comments or questions regarding these or anything else pertinent. 

The viability of driving at night depends on the roughness of the terrain.  If you're at sea or on the plains, no problem.  If you're anywhere a bounce could be fatal, then it's a bad idea.

Solar power has a couple of downsides you haven't mentioned.

• Panel Orientation:  With the panels running along the length of the vehicle, the only way all of them get much sun at once is if you're going mostly E-W.  If you're going N-S, then except at high noon the vehicle has a sunny side and a shady side.  This makes a huge difference in the amount of juice available at the same latitude and time of day.  And even going E-W, the further you are from the equator, the more of a sunny/shady difference there is.  So you need to pick your route so you go more E-W than N-S, and don't get too far from the equator.  I found I could manage at 47^N but I wouldn't have wanted to get much further north than that as the effect starts to increase non-linearly.
  • Terrain Shadows:  These reduce the amount of time per day you can go because they raise the local horizon.  Thus, if there's a mountain east of you, you can drive late into the evening but get off to a late start the next morning because it takes longer for the sun to rise.  Shadows also make it difficult to drive near mountains at the wrong times of day.

12 hours ago, Maverick_aus said:

@Just Jim Hi! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. It's satisfying being able to give back a little to this community having gotten so much out of others people's posts, mission reports etc in the past. I believe you've done some Elcano adventuring yourself? - to the Mun was it? I'll look forward to catching up on how yours went. 

You are quite correct, I decided to tackle the Mun first. 
I posted the results earlier this morning... 

Now that I'm done with it, I'm taking a bit of a break, and I look forward to watching everyone else for a while.  :D

8 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

The viability of driving at night depends on the roughness of the terrain.  If you're at sea or on the plains, no problem.  If you're anywhere a bounce could be fatal, then it's a bad idea.

Solar power has a couple of downsides you haven't mentioned.

• Panel Orientation:  With the panels running along the length of the vehicle, the only way all of them get much sun at once is if you're going mostly E-W.  If you're going N-S, then except at high noon the vehicle has a sunny side and a shady side.  This makes a huge difference in the amount of juice available at the same latitude and time of day.  And even going E-W, the further you are from the equator, the more of a sunny/shady difference there is.  So you need to pick your route so you go more E-W than N-S, and don't get too far from the equator.  I found I could manage at 47^N but I wouldn't have wanted to get much further north than that as the effect starts to increase non-linearly.
  • Terrain Shadows:  These reduce the amount of time per day you can go because they raise the local horizon.  Thus, if there's a mountain east of you, you can drive late into the evening but get off to a late start the next morning because it takes longer for the sun to rise.  Shadows also make it difficult to drive near mountains at the wrong times of day.

Hi @Geschosskopf Thanks for the thoughts. Re: night driving. I was thinking of the sea primarily, but your points sound valid. Re:solar Hmm. The solar angle is an interesting one. Up til now I had thought simply of adding many more panels than I needed at the equator and hoped it would be sufficient elsewhere. But given your concerns I'm thinking maybe I'll do a high latitude air drop and field test of the electrics. 

@Just Jim Well done! Enjoy your break for a bit. 

Edited by Maverick_aus

Real Adventuring
Technically this week I'm on holidays with my family. So I'll be happily prioritising time with my kids and wife bushwalking, playing board games, generally exploring the life-changing Blue Mountains - a place I feel is my 'spiritual' home. If it weren't for that I may well be beginning the actual driving of the challenge! I will be spending some time thinking and planning however, this week, so as always, your thoughts and questions, and chatting generally are so welcome. 

1 hour ago, Maverick_aus said:

Real Adventuring
Technically this week I'm on holidays with my family. So I'll be happily prioritising time with my kids and wife bushwalking, playing board games, generally exploring the life-changing Blue Mountains - a place I feel is my 'spiritual' home. If it weren't for that I may well be beginning the actual driving of the challenge! I will be spending some time thinking and planning however, this week, so as always, your thoughts and questions, and chatting generally are so welcome. 

Oh cool!  Have fun!   And between you and me, I get some of my best ideas when I'm outside in my garden, relaxing with nature.  :wink:

On 02/07/2016 at 2:00 AM, Geschosskopf said:

But regardless of your powerplant, you need to limit your blue water time so you can hit the beach often enough to plant flags that show your progress.

Not necessarily; you might leave a BTDT trail, or just take lots of screenshots.

On 03/07/2016 at 5:43 AM, Maverick_aus said:

Decide whether to include large batteries reserves to enable travel right up to sunset (and even into darkness?). Weigh tradeoff here. Considering Near Electric capacitors as an alternative - better storage density.

I know you have read some of mine, so you may be aware of this, but I brought a Universal Storage hydrogen/oxygen fuel cell, an electrolyser, and a water purifier. I use TACLS, so the ship had to have large water and oxygen (off Kerbin) tanks anyway - this only needed a hydrogen tank added. This represents a large overnight fuel reserve (excessively large, actually, but that's more down to the old Kerbal Foundries parts not using enough power) and one that was easy to refill from excess generation.

Another possibility would be to bring a Karbonite drill and Karbelectric generator. I did on Kerbin but didn't make effective use of it (sigh).

42 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Oh cool!  Have fun!   And between you and me, I get some of my best ideas when I'm outside in my garden, relaxing with nature.  :wink:

Of course, it's the guarded type of relaxation, Yellow Alert.  Nature can eat you down here with everything from brain-eating amoebas to skeeters and fire ants to large predators :).  But this mental state kicks all the senses up a couple notches so you notice and appreciate everything more than if you were totally relaxed.

38 minutes ago, damerell said:

Another possibility would be to bring a Karbonite drill and Karbelectric generator. I did on Kerbin but didn't make effective use of it (sigh).

Yup, there are all kinds of possibilities.  And it's all a trade-off.  Making the vehicle more capable in 1 area hurts it in other areas.  I ultimately realized that you can't make something that excels at everything so you have to pick the 2 or 3 things that are most important to you and then plan the route to exploit those capabilities while avoiding the weak areas as much as possible.

On 7/4/2016 at 10:07 PM, Just Jim said:

@Just JimThanks mate. Yep. It's interesting isn't it. The body and mind are linked and seem to work together like that. 

On 7/4/2016 at 10:11 PM, damerell said:

I use TACLS

@damerell Hmm. Intriguing. I've yet to take the plunge with trying life support. I think at this point, I've already got such a long to do list, that I'll never get started if I add LS to this. But certianly intruiged to try down the track. 

RE: Kethane. Yeah - I'll give it a go at some point. Have already decided for this mission no ISRU.

On 7/4/2016 at 10:59 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Yup, there are all kinds of possibilities.  And it's all a trade-off.  Making the vehicle more capable in 1 area hurts it in other areas.  I ultimately realized that you can't make something that excels at everything so you have to pick the 2 or 3 things that are most important to you and then plan the route to exploit those capabilities while avoiding the weak areas as much as possible.

@Geschosskopf Yes, this. Big-time. Especially in vehicle development for this challenge. If you let scope creep run it's rampant course you end up with every sort of engine, fuel and gadget on the vehicle and it doesn't move, or perhaps it's breaks horribly when tried etc etc.
RE: 'Yellow alert' - Where are you? In South America somewhere right? (I recall from your 'Kerberos' post...)

PS: RE: forum stuff: I'm using the 'at[yourname]' to get your attention. But is this redundant? Does the quoting function bring this to your attention already?

Edited by Maverick_aus

2 minutes ago, Maverick_aus said:

Yes, this. Big-time. Especially in vehicle development for this challenge. If you let scope creep run it's rampant course you end up with every sort of engine, fuel and gadget on thevehicle and it doesn't move, or perhaps it's breaks horribly if it tried etc etc.

So choose your steed and run her where she's good.

RE: Location Where are you? In South America somewhere right? (I recall from your 'Kerberos' post...)

Just down on the bayou, which was a melting pot a few centuries before New York got the idea.

PS: RE: forum stuff: I'm using the 'at[yourname]' to get your attention. But is this redundant? Does the quoting function bring this to your attention already?

That's the summoning spell.  Otherwise I'd have only noticed when I checked this thread for new posts.

Final Planning 
Plenty of past Elcano mission reports highlight the long time the actual expedition takes. Jeb understands this. What he doesn't get is the proverbial scale of the (unnecessary he would say) testing, planning and research that has taken up the past weeks, prior to putting mud on tires. The time is at hand, with the following outcomes, testing etc complete. Read on for the latest (and final update) on pre-mission preparation. 

After a week breathing in the clear mountain air of the Blue Mountain ranges IRL, the events sponsor and development team has completed the last of the preparations, as follows:

With reference to the Preparation Checklist that needed to be made prior to mission launch. we're proud to announce the following conclusions:

1. Solar Exposure
OUTCOME: The number and shaping of solar panels are sufficient to power the engines right up til sunset. As long as the entire sun is visible above the horizon, enough usable energy is received by the craft to power two electric props. (Tested at equator, on an E-W heading). This means effective driving/sailing right up until sunset at this latitude and bearing. Diminished duration of solar exposure expected at higher lats.

2. Power storage? 
OUTCOME: Even with the excellent solar utilisation above, around 10 minutes worth of electricity will be stored in two large batteries. This is for use in the cases when the craft is in the shadow of a mountain, or several last minutes of travel are necessary into the night, eg to reach the shore. (Capacitors tested, but not suitable given wastage owing to their very quick discharge).

3. Replacement Vehicle 
OUTCOME: A design and proof-of-concept air-drop has passed testing and can be further developed for field use in that eventuality. DTs propellers definitely do not bust off. 

4. Juno Usage? 
OUTCOME: Carrying a large load of fuel, whilst powering the craft only with Junos results in a very poor power to weight ratio. Thus option two is the winner with the Junos used for extra thrust up steep hills, if required. The expedition team could still rely on the Junos as primary power plant in the event of an emergency, but many refuels would be required. 

5. Which Route? 
OUTCOME: The planning team has decided on the longer land route, closer to the equator (orange on the map) with some variation, whilst keep it a majority maritime venture. 

To decide between the potential routes, a campaign of aerial surveying was undertaken, seeing which bit of land to cross.  This was a challenging, time-consuming but fun mini-expedition in itself. 

The Yellow Route 

Verdict: I would like to explore the tundra and the great inland sea, however this more northerly route means crossing corrugated terrain. A lot of it too. Additionally, a landed sun test ('ooh hot!') of sorts proved that there's a very limited amount of usable day light up here. Only around 2 1/2 hours of daylight. Not good news for a solar-powered vehicle. The second, more southerly option involved skipping through the lakes, which appeals. However a similar solar power limitation applies here too.

The Red Route 

Verdict: Very easy water-land transitions, some interesting geographic features, short land route. 

The Orange (New and Improved!) Route

Verdict: The aerial survey enables a specific route to be chosen based on passing a rocky, mountainous region. Pros: Interesting terrain features to appreciate and navigate through, a more direct equatorial path, longer Sun exposure. Cons: longer time on land but as I've previously discovered the Dolomedes Triton is a car-boat in boat-car disguise. If the successful land trials are anything to go by, then this should be a very doable route, and make a welcome change from the abundant water-crossing. 

The team is proud to announce this Orange Path as the winner and chosen route for the land crossing in the upcoming Dolomedes Triton Elcano challenge!

6. Solar Panel?
OUTCOME: The team have decided to use the curved Near Future Electric solar panels to maximise exposure through the day. These are heavier but more efficient than the XL Ox stat, for example. 

7. Vertical Stabiliser.
OUTCOME: Turns out a boat doesn't need a vertical aerofoil. Who knew? I replaced it with a rudder. Yep, boats need rudders apparently. This gives a MUCH better turning circle for near-shore, low speed manoeuvering, and more importantly, whilst on the high seas, superior stability of the craft at warp speeds ("Engage!"). 

8. Replenishment
OUTCOME: I really don't want to have to rely on LF powered Junos to complete this challenge. But if it does come to that I have fooled around with some idiotic and completely unworkable refueling tankers. Perfect for KSP! No. No pics. No way. 

Well, that about wraps up the brief and ill-considered parts of Phase I of the planning. Now on to... Nah, just kidding. 

Up next:...Mission Launch!

The Elcano Challenge

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.” -Melville

Day 1
Launch
Every Kerbal and his dog came out for the launch of the Dolomedes Triton on the first morning of the Elcano Challenge. They new recruits and veterans alike cheers and waved the heroes on their way. The two Orange Suits staying behind for support duties walked along the tarmac with the vessel whilst Jeb and Bill drove out.  Huzzah!

Birth and Death
Today marks a great beginning. It is the birth of the spirit of adventure. The spirit of adventure will drive these funny little yellow people to do incredible things. However if it also a day of endings. Bill Kerman, member of the Original Four, engineer extraordinaire, and intrepid adventurer (well, ok...timid, scared, chicken really) today passed into the Kerbal after-realm. Having traveled 90km from KSC on the first magnificent day of exploring the entire world by sea and land, he tripped down a ladder, and evaporated in a poof of death-dust.  
"RIP Bill. He died doing what he loves."

Yes, really. No joke. And to be honest, after all this preparation for the challenge, and the narration of the relationship and experiences between he and Jeb. I'm actually a little well, emotional. I've never lost an astronaut, let alone an Orange Suit (although one time, this tourist...).

RIP Bill. Permadeath = TRUE. There's no going back.

The ups and downs of the first fateful day are narrated within the album below. 

Edited by Maverick_aus

Alas, poor Bill!

Ladders have an interesting place in the Kerbal consciousness.  They were the 1st way Kerbals ever got off the ground, and were used by shamans to reach the Otherworld.  It's possible, with proper design, to make flying machines powered solely by Kerbals climbing ladders.  For these reasons they are loved.  But they also are quite capable of inflicting death and destruction on Kerbals and their works, and thus they are also feared, sometimes even hated.  Using a ladder is a very serious undertaking, perhaps the most dangerous thing Kerbals ever do.

But otherwise, seems like things to be going well.  Better luck with the rest of the trip!

@Geschosskopf

11 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

...Using a ladder is a very serious undertaking,...

Lol. Funnily put! 

11 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Using a ladder is a very serious undertaking, perhaps the most dangerous thing Kerbals ever do.

Yes. I was reading about this recently here: kerbal powered flight challenge . Classic! 

Well, onward and upward. 

Good luck my friend. I actually found that taking non-orange suiters upped my personal attachment to the crew. (Since the original four often meet untimely demises over and over.)

I love your pictures and maps, nice job. :D 

12 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Death by ladder???  ;.;

@Just Jim I know. I think the issue is in the transition from cockpit steps to the ladder. I've seen it a few times, the kerbal just drops off the end of the cockpit instead of attaching to the ladder. Never before Bill has a Kerbal death-puffed doing this however. As you probably have seen as well, Kerbals can survive hitting the ground from crazy heights. Perhaps the ladder somehow accelerated him. Or the angle of the ground was pretty steep so I'm wondering if it may been somehow relate to that. Otherwise, just a good old fashioned KSP Kraken. 

Edited by Maverick_aus

Day 1 - Part II
After a brief pause in shock at the news about Bill, the mission planners and controllers snapped into action. 

Personnel Resupply
Mission control quickly decided upon a replacement engineer for the irreplaceable Bill. Evaluating all the candidates based on experience, expertise, history, personality and so on, when they saw her name, that settled it: Berthy Kerman. Sure, not such a flattering name for a woman, but any physical connotations aside, the perfect name for a maritime engineer. 

Valentina immediately got to work delivering the newest member of the Elcano Challenge, Expedition Team:

Val. I'm glad you're having a good time, but seriously? 

Ah this looks more promising...

At this point the alert reading will be wondering where the second Kerbal is?...You know, the one the whole resupply mission is about...? Bill's replacement?...

With nightfall, the fateful first day of Elcano is over. The newly-formed Expedition Team 2 awkwardly get acquainted in preparation for tomorrow's launch at sunrise.

Up Next: Day Two - towards the open seas...

21 hours ago, Claw said:

Good luck my friend....

I love your pictures and maps, nice job

Thanks @Claw. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm glad you're enjoying it! If you have any critical feedback at all let me know please. I'm open to it. I'm trying to make the most of this, as a creative project. And especially since this got stickied for the month. Shot composition, wording, style, characterisation, anything.
(This offer goes for any other mission chroniclers reading this too). 

Eg one specific qn I have: do you think it's best to have the commentary in imgur as the description of each image, or in the forum post - I'm concerned whether people really read the imgur text as they look at the gallery inline in the forum post. 
One thing I can't change, which I would if I could, is rendering quality. Occasionally for single shots I'll turn the settings right up as high I can to get a full rendering shot, but for action shots it has to stay down to make the game smooth enough for me to control it (and enjoy playing it!). It even crashing sometimes with the settings turned. (Although I am able to leave terrain detail up to max). 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.