A room with a Kerbal view...

The_Rocketeer

2 hours ago, Freshmeat said:

Northern Europe is under water :(

Tell me about it (UK here). :( I guess submarines are an option tho! :cool:

But there's other worlds. As I pointed out a few posts ago, anyone living less than about 30 degrees from the poles probably has a great view of their parent body from any of the moons.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

20 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Tell me about it (UK here). :( I guess submarines are an option tho! :cool:

But there's other worlds. As I pointed out a few posts ago, anyone living less than about 30 degrees from the poles probably has a great view of their parent body from any of the moons.

Well, actually there aren't that many people living within 30 degrees from the poles. Northern half of Russia, nearly all of Norway,  Majority of Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Greenland, Northern half of Canada and the majority of Alaska. In the south it gets even worse, Only Antarctica. Not what you would call the most densely populated parts of the globe.

P.S.
I'd need a raft too.

Edited by Tex_NL

46 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Well, actually there aren't that many people living within 30 degrees from the poles.

Fair call, I was mis-remembering my own latitude from the dark recesses of my brain (I actually live a little north of 50N, not 70N!). Even with a parent body at 40-45 degrees, that's still a heck of a view without much neck strain - especially if that parent body is Jool! Also if u lived on a tidally-locked moon anywhere around 60-90 E or W you should also be in the area of a great permanent horizon shot, and if u're not on a tidally locked moon all you have to do is wait for planet-rise :)

Sucks for u if u got nothing, but don't give up just cos u live in Waterworld on Kerbin :D

23 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Nothing anyway. The only interesing featuers I found were edge of a crater on Mun and 20 degree slope on Pol.

Well, I wud have liked to see them anyway. The edge of the crater sounds pretty exotic compared to typical suburban bedroom window. If u've actually been to check them out, fair enough but if u haven't u might find the effort more worthwhile and impressive than u thought - it's not just about location, it's about composition!

Edit: Also, don't forget there are other places to visit besides your own home. Try a famous landmark - Washington Monument? Great Wall of China (either end!)? Sydney Opera House? Victoria Falls? Machu Picchu? Plenty of options potentially worth looking up, just take a look!

Edited by The_Rocketeer

On 16/07/2016 at 9:02 PM, Claw said:

Wow, that's seriously flat. I didn't realize there was such a large flat space on Kerbin.

On 16/07/2016 at 7:57 PM, Claw said:

hIZUUX2.jpg

Claw, if u take the mountains out of your view your place is also extraordinarily flat!

3 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Claw, if u take the mountains out of your view your place is also extraordinarily flat!

"If you take the non-flat thing out of there, then it's really flat!" :D

But actually, it's a bit more hilly. There's some hills behind the camera's point of view too. So perhaps it's a perspective thing.

This was fun. It gave me a fun new mission and sparked my interest in exploring more of Kerbin instead of always trying to fly away. So, here is the gang taking a trip to see what I would see from my window if my home was on Kerbin...

Edit - Well,I guess the best way to view this would be to click through to imgur, since it's not showing the full image here.

Edited by Mako

11 hours ago, Mako said:

This was fun. It gave me a fun new mission and sparked my interest in exploring more of Kerbin instead of always trying to fly away. So, here is the gang taking a trip to see what I would see from my window if my home was on Kerbin...

Edit - Well,I guess the best way to view this would be to click through to imgur, since it's not showing the full image here.

Awesomesauce! Nice job Mako :) loving your rover, looks like a real utility-vehicle.

Incidentally, based on your screenshots I'm pretty sure that was a sunRISE! :D

Oh, and imgur seems to be a bit quirky when you put it in the post-editor, but most of the time it turns out fine - your whole album was up when I looked.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

5 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Awesomesauce! Nice job Mako :) loving your rover, looks like a real utility-vehicle.

Incidentally, based on your screenshots I'm pretty sure that was a sunRISE! :D

Oh, and imgur seems to be a bit quirky when you put it in the post-editor, but most of the time it turns out fine - your whole album was up when I looked.

Thanks! I had a lot of fun doing this. I made the rover just for this after knocking the engine off of Jeb's plane and being to impatient to cover 2+km on foot. I was very happy with how it turned out.

As for the sunrise/sunset, there's shots of both. The rover is always facing west in those shots. I got on site in time to capture the sunset (wish I would have installed Scatterer first), then time-accelerated to the next morning to plant the flag.

Thanks for letting me know the imgur album was okay, first time I've uploaded images for KSP.

3 hours ago, something said:

To me it seems that most of Europe is placed in this big pond in the northern hemisphere of Kerbin...too bad...

Yes indeed. In fact, Kerbin's surface overlaid on Earth would put a lot of places in the drink. That said, it seems like parts of all the continents are on dry land somewhere - you just have too look. Perhaps some of Earth's underwater locations are interesting places to visit on Kerbin? The Challenger Deep? Great Barrier Reef? Titanic and various other shipwreck sites? I haven't actually checked, but I bet a lof of those are on land - seek and you shall find :)

Edited by The_Rocketeer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.