Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

51 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

There's a chance I may get hit by Hurricane Irma. It looks like it may turn out like Hurricane Irene or Hurricane Isabel. That's not good news, since we just HAD a multi-billion dollar major hurricane in the United States. The good news is that any American landfall won't be until late next week or the week after. 

You're on the Lesser Antilles ? It may be too early to dig in, it is still a week or so away and much can happen in the meantime ... i hope you get away ...

" ... 'cause there ain't nowhere to hide waitin' for the hurricane" humdidum

For those interested: this is what a marine weather forecast including a hurricane warning looks like: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIAHSFAT2.shtml

Spanish is the same but the language is worse ... :-)

Edited by Green Baron

5 hours ago, Green Baron said:

You're on the Lesser Antilles ? It may be too early to dig in, it is still a week or so away and much can happen in the meantime ... i hope you get away ...

" ... 'cause there ain't nowhere to hide waitin' for the hurricane" humdidum

For those interested: this is what a marine weather forecast including a hurricane warning looks like: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIAHSFAT2.shtml

Spanish is the same but the language is worse ... :-)

No, I'm on the East Coast. The current spaghetti models do suggest a landfall around the Carolinas or New England, but as you said it is too early to tell.

18 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Irma is now a major hurricane!

Ninja'd me again!

This phase of rapid intensification is quite strong. In the last 24 hours, Irma's wind speeds have gone from 60 mph to 115 mph - an increase of 55 mph! - with a barometric pressure dropping from 29.56 to 28.56 inches of Mercury. If intensification of a similar scale continues for another 24 hours, then Irma may become a Category 5 hurricane by tomorrow or Saturday. Considering the forecast models by HWRF and the very favorable conditions in Irma's current location, I think this is pretty likely.

27 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Ninja'd me again!

This phase of rapid intensification is quite strong. In the last 24 hours, Irma's wind speeds have gone from 60 mph to 115 mph - an increase of 55 mph! - with a barometric pressure dropping from 29.56 to 28.56 inches of Mercury. If intensification of a similar scale continues for another 24 hours, then Irma may become a Category 5 hurricane by tomorrow or Saturday. Considering the forecast models by HWRF and the very favorable conditions in Irma's current location, I think this is pretty likely.

Apparently Irma's undergoing an EWRC, so rapid intensification might have to wait—but it could still strengthen.

14 hours ago, Green Baron said:

- snip -

Question: why do you scoff at scientists that way ? Are you a biologist that does related research ? Just a question so i know whom i'm battling with :-) From controversy can come new insight ...

Scientists need to be scoffed at, it keeps them in line, but more-so it keeps things in healthy perspective. Remember; they laughed at Galileo, they laughed at Copernicus, and they believed Lysenko. Who am I? I'm nobody; I'm a skeptic. I was just trying to give you new insight. :wink: You read the journals, and that's fine. I (we) watch the money.
PS - I've three family members who are published. Who knows, you may have read their work and scoffed at it.

My news from TX; Family is fine. Austin (northern) saw no real rain, just a lot of wind and trees down. No damage to the house, although the neighbors tree decided to take revenge on its owner's house. The other family members in Houston (Humble), are fine also. No water, no damage, however they can't leave their home via car because the surrounding neighborhoods are flooded... but the water is receding. We're counting ourselves as lucky.

1 hour ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Apparently Irma's undergoing an EWRC, so rapid intensification might have to wait—but it could still strengthen.

That's not good. I remember last year how Hurricanes Lester and Madeline both underwent multiple Eyewall Replacement Cycles, which ultimately led them to both become far more intense than predicted. This is definitely something to keep a close eye on.

EDIT: I can see Irma's eye beginning to reform!

Edited by ProtoJeb21

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Any news on Irma? Do we have any spaghetti models showing possible landfalls?

The best information i know of is indeed from the American weather service's hurricane site. Here the link again: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

For details, click "Analyses & Forecasts/Marine Products" and choose the area.

So, right now and for the next 120 hours (5 days) it is moving westerly, further intensifying to a major hurricane. It was categorised 3 earlier today. It moves towards the Lesser Antilles (not the US coast according to the NOAA).

Pls. keep in mind that a five day forecasts may have uncertainties to the course and strength of the storm.

Edited by Green Baron

I'm torn between what would be the worst... people would reflexively like it to not track south, then hit TX again, OTOH, that region is already wrecked, it might in fact be better to hit the same spot twice than damage a new region... best of course is to head north and churn water, not land.

It looks like Irma's Eyewall Replacement Cycle is in full effect. It has weakened to a high-end Category 2, lost its eye, and has become more symmetrical. Spaghetti models that I've seen suggest a North Carolina or New England landfall. It looks like this is even MORE likely to become another Irene or Floyd.

As a kid I had a few, large Air Force maps of the East Coast that my uncle got for me (he also had his secretary put his already read Aviation Week and other defense industry magazines in an envelope and mail them to me). My grandparents would be up this time of year from FL, and I remember my grandfather watching the news, or reading the paper and using my maps with pins in them to mark hurricanes (worried about their house in FL).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.