Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

2 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Any other info on Harvey? My family's watching Football (Seahawks vs Chiefs) and I don't know anything.

There's a high chance of tornadoes and landfall is imminent, with the storm maintaining its status as a Category 4—if it maintains that, it'll be the first category 4 landfall in the US since Charley in 2004, and in Texas since 1961.

Edit: The pressure has continued to drop—now 938 millibars. The NHC says that landfall has taken place between Port Aransas and Port O'Connor.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

5 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

RIP. I just realized you and @Cydonian Monk both live in Houston.. Hope y'all's houses stay live

Thanks. Me too. I was only half joking with some lady in Kansas today who needed my zip code that it might change in a couple days if my place decides to float over to the neighboring zip code.

6 hours ago, razark said:

Sometimes I forget how big this state really is.

Having driven from H-town to El Paso just three weeks ago... yeah. It's big. Really big. That sign at the Louisiana border that says "El Paso 853" fails to impart just how big and empty most of those 853 miles are. 

I decided to hole up somewhere south of Waco tomorrow night. Less than two hours from my place, but I've driven through enough crazy stuff on this trip (including a thunderblizzard on Pike's Peak) - I'm not driving through a beached hurricane at night to finish it off. (And driving US 290 in broad daylight is challenging enough.)

Looks like Harvey is filling up. I hope everybody is alright.

Astonishingly for me no hurricanes, not even tropical storms have formed on and crossed the Atlantic ocean this season so far. They all formed either in the golf or relatively short off the Atlantic west coast / island arcs. But the season has just begun ...

9 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Having driven from H-town to El Paso just three weeks ago... yeah. It's big. Really big. That sign at the Louisiana border that says "El Paso 853" fails to impart just how big and empty most of those 853 miles are. 

Oi! I live in like.. 30 of 853 miles! And yeah... It is kinda dull. Just cotton.

Has landfall happened? Or do I still have time to see him get that first wallop

16 minutes ago, tater said:

It made landfall last night (kinda early), and is still a hurricane, and supposed to remain so most of the day today. Insane. 

Damn I missed it! Ah well. Good luck to all in the coast area! Good vibes being sent your way 

On 8/25/2017 at 10:46 AM, tater said:

This is why I live someplace where nature doesn't try to kill me.

Tarantula hawk wasp*? Rattlesnake? 105 degree day? Nature still tries to kill you in NM, it just doesn't make the news.

Also, CNN says some areas of inland Texas will get up to 40 inches of rain by Wednesday.

*Source: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

1 hour ago, Confused Scientist said:

Tarantula hawk wasp*? Rattlesnake? 105 degree day? Nature still tries to kill you in NM, it just doesn't make the news.

Also, CNN says some areas of inland Texas will get up to 40 inches of rain by Wednesday.

*Source: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Those wasps are cool, I see them all the time. Zero threat to life.

Rattlesnakes? You have to want to get bitten, I see them fairly often, I don't even worry about the kids (they can ID them vs other species).

100+? We have about a week a year in town, and at my house it hasn't hit 100 since I've lived here (2001)... the extra 1500ft alt makes a huge difference.

Sure there are dangers, but far less acute, imho.

Edited by tater

38 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

thunder blizzard?!

They're really rare, but I saw one on a lonely hill in upstate NY about 25 or so years ago... really bad snowstorm, and all of a sudden... BOOM!!! Thunder and lightning... in the middle of winter! Just about scared the kraken krap out of me! :0.0:

Edited by Just Jim

I first saw the storm earlier today while driving South through Oklahoma. Big white blob on the horizon. I didn't actually hit the storm until about 20 miles North of Waco. And then the temperature dropped about 15 °F and the wind pushed my car out of my lane on the freeway while doing ~75 MpH. 

So I bailed onto the feeder. 

I made it to my holdover stop, which I didn't expect to be close enough to actually be affected by this monster pooka. I was wrong.

Friends of mine are dodging tornados and floods down in Houston/Cypress/Stafford. If this storm keeps moving East I might just go back to Dallas for a couple days. (US 290 will probably flood and block my way back anyway.) Work can wait.

Also, every SigAlert in North Texas is flashing this right now:

koBFDn6.jpg

49 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

thunder blizzard?!

A slight exaggeration. It was a thunderstorm, yes, and it was snowing, and visibility was nil at points, but that's because I was inside a cloud not due to snow. Probably at most an inch of snow on the road. So... ThunderSnow. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Pretty quiet most of the day today.  Wind and rain overnight, and then it was nothing from at least noon until about an hour ago.  We're getting another band dumping buckets on us now.

Projection now shows it looping back to clobber Corpus again, and then heading due north.

Nice weather. Sunny, a bit cloudy, and quite a reasonable temperature (by my standards). Warm enough to go outside with a t-shirt and shorts, but not unbearable. Actually tending towards the cooler side of things.

~2:00am
The rain continues in varying degrees.  Street has been replaced with shallow, fast river.  People in the area are being evacuated from flooded homes, and the local city (not Houston, one of the suburbs) just drove by with a big truck, looking for people to rescue.

Edit (~4:00):
Nearly 11 inches of rain at Ellington Field on Saturday.  Slightly less on-site.  Rain continues, and the wife just showed me a picture of a flooded gas station near my parents' house.  Pumps nearly under water.

Power is now flickering...

8:20
The water is now halfway up the lawn.  Houses on the other side of the street are getting water inside, neighbors to our right have called for a boat rescue.  Power remains on.

Spoiler

XS4QHJ1.jpg

LUg77eT.jpg

Edited by razark

@tater

It's been raining all morning, and I've just woken up.  I'm a little less than an inch from having the local creek in my garage, but the house still has some ways to go.  We've got some stuff packed in case we need to go in hurry, everything else is up off the floor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.