How to Overheat a Rocket?

Battledamaged10

1 hour ago, IM_AM_SVEN said:

Try pointing seperatrons into the craft. 

Tried that

28 minutes ago, Archgeek said:

To get the whole craft really hot, run a few nukes without any radiators.  Infinite fuel can help here.

I feel like that would take too long. And I use nukes without radiators anyway and they don't overheat.

1 hour ago, Battledamaged10 said:

I feel like that would take too long. And I use nukes without radiators anyway and they don't overheat.

Indeed, they tend to desperately dump heat into whatever they're attached to, and they make good passive radiators when they get really hot, dumping a good chunk of their own heat into space, but if you burn a couple into tanks that are mostly empty, the whole craft will get glowing hot in a couple of minutes.

3 hours ago, Battledamaged10 said:

Does anyone know an easy way to make a rocket overheat? I need it to for a YouTube cinema type video I'm making.

Define "overheat a rocket". Is it sufficient if a critical part (like the engine) explodes, or do you want each and every part to overheat?

Fly really close to the sun.

Or, alternatively, if going all the way to the sun is too much trouble, use a snippet of Kopernicus config to crank up the sun's power by a lot.  Then everything will overheat.  :wink:

Hmmm, for that matter, I expect you could probably use Kopernicus to tinker with any given planet's ambient temperature to make it cause stuff to overheat.  Raise Kerbin's temperature to 3000 degrees and watch the fun!

(Haven't actually done that myself, and am not in front of a KSP computer right now to be able to check it, but based on my experience with Kopernicus I'm guessing that it would be pretty straightforward to do.)

Guys? There are much easier solutions. :P Which is why I asked above which parts are meant to overheat.

A simple ModuleManager config can set the maximum temperature tolerance of any part so low, or the heat output of any engine so high, that it is guaranteed to explode.

12 hours ago, Battledamaged10 said:

Tried that

I've been running Nukes without radiators too. I think they must have changed the heating mechanics on nukes because I lot of older threads talk about having to cool them.

3 hours ago, tjt said:

I've been running Nukes without radiators too. I think they must have changed the heating mechanics on nukes because I lot of older threads talk about having to cool them.

When they were introduced they'd slowly overheat at 100%.  It was an interesting design constraint.  Now that they don't, I don't think they'll ever put that back, it'd break a lot of designs.

10 hours ago, Snark said:

Fly really close to the sun.

Or, alternatively, if going all the way to the sun is too much trouble, use a snippet of Kopernicus config to crank up the sun's power by a lot.  Then everything will overheat.  :wink:

Hmmm, for that matter, I expect you could probably use Kopernicus to tinker with any given planet's ambient temperature to make it cause stuff to overheat.  Raise Kerbin's temperature to 3000 degrees and watch the fun!

(Haven't actually done that myself, and am not in front of a KSP computer right now to be able to check it, but based on my experience with Kopernicus I'm guessing that it would be pretty straightforward to do.)

I totally wanna make a Hadean death world now, with a thick sulphuric atmosphere, lava lakes, and daily asteroid impacts.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:54 PM, Battledamaged10 said:

Does anyone know an easy way to make a rocket overheat? I need it to for a YouTube cinema type video I'm making.

Find the .cfg for  the engine you want to overheat.

look for the "module" section  for the engine

MODULE
 {
  name = ModuleEngines
  thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
  exhaustDamage = True
  ignitionThreshold = 0.1
  minThrust = 0
  maxThrust = 650
  heatProduction = 350 <--------------
  fxOffset = 0, 0, 1.2
  EngineType = LiquidFuel
  exhaustDamageDistanceOffset = 1.25

this contains the basic parameters such as min and max thrust.

Find "heatProduction" change it to a nice high number like 1000 or 1500

That should make the engine heat quickly,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.