Simple relocate of Monolith at KSC

Like many people, I'm somewhat annoyed by the new update making the monolith highly visible from KSC during launch.

Lots of people have requested to remove the monolith from KSC, but I like the idea of it being there being a catalyst for players to search the system for the other monoliths.  Kind of a "baby's first easter egg" type of thing.  People see that during launch, say "Hey, what is that?" go inspect it with a rover, and learn of the existence of monoliths and easter eggs.

However, it really is annoying that it's literally in the center of the screen when you're launching anything.

So, my proposal is this:

Move it to the south side of the KSC flats.

Just as visible, just as far from the launch site, but not centered on the screen with every launch.  Make it so to see it, you merely have to look around, rather than have it staring you in the face.

Easter eggs are not fun when they're not hidden, and yes, this "first" one, we don't want it to be hard to find, but we want some level of exploration necessary to find it, even if that exploration is merely rotating the camera.

Plus, I won't have to stare at a strange black mark in the grass with every launch.

Win-Win.

Yes, I like your idea. When I first saw it I thought "Well, that's kind of cool !" to "Oh look, there's the monolith ,,, again". and to somewhere between distraction and annoyance.

You're likely to get a full array of opinions on this from "Don't touch it !" to "Yes, move it to Moho !"

My OCDness demands I have that absolute north camera view, (from the VAB to launch pad), so, yeah, it's always there.

I disagree. It's been there since .16 or so; why should it change now? Because it's an eyesore? Look east, west, south, up down, you have 300+ degrees of view to choose from and your complaining about something that occupies less than 10 on the runway/Launchpad.

It's good as it. Leave it.

12 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Build a fake building around it out of structural panels and/or wing segments?

Hide contents

dZTKSZF.jpg

XzbAGZV.jpg

Lol, this is the best solution for an issue I've seen in a long time. It basically equates to putting a bed sheet over the scary monster XD .

Edited by ZooNamedGames

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I disagree. It's been there since .16 or so; why should it change now? Because it's an eyesore? Look east, west, south, up down, you have 300+ degrees of view to choose from and your complaining about something that occupies less than 10 on the runway/Launchpad.

It's good as it. Leave it.

Unfortunately, it's the default direction the game looks when launching. 

So I can't help but see it and get annoyed with every single launch. 

1 minute ago, Daripuff said:

Unfortunately, it's the default direction the game looks when launching. 

So I can't help but see it and get annoyed with every single launch. 

Then focus on the rocket. You've got this machine you've made put in front of your eyes, but it's ruined by one black blob?

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Then focus on the rocket. You've got this machine you've made put in front of your eyes, but it's ruined by one black blob?

Is not ruined by. Not at all.

Merely am annoyed by.

Plus, it's not really much of a "secret" if it's right there in front of you with EVERY launch.

Make folks work to find it out, and make it so you can't "discover" it unless you either A: rotate the camera away from the default direction or B: explore KSC.

2 minutes ago, Daripuff said:

Is not ruined by. Not at all.

Merely am annoyed by.

Plus, it's not really much of a "secret" if it's right there in front of you with EVERY launch.

Make folks work to find it out, and make it so you can't "discover" it unless you either A: rotate the camera away from the default direction or B: explore KSC.

Some need it painfully obvious or they never see it.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Some need it painfully obvious or they never see it.

And those people will happily play the game without ever knowing about the existence of these easter eggs.

Because those people are the sort of people who wouldn't try to hunt for the other ones even if they find this one.

2 minutes ago, Daripuff said:

And those people will happily play the game without ever knowing about the existence of these easter eggs.

Because those people are the sort of people who wouldn't try to hunt for the other ones even if they find this one.

And what if some people are? But they don't know the game has them.

And what if some people are? But they don't know the game has them.

The people with the explorative streak that would drive them to seek the other ones in the game are the sort of people who would explore KSC on their own, and easily find the monument if it were placed on the south side of the KSC, just off camera from the default angles.

Edited by Daripuff

The people with the explorative streak that would drive them to see the other ones in the game are the sort of people who would explore KSC on their own, and easily find the monument if it were placed on the south side of the KSC, just off camera from the default angles.

But if they don't know they exist then why should they search for them? You wouldn't search for a treasure if it might be there.

They need to see it first.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

But if they don't know they exist then why should they search for them? You wouldn't search for a treasure if it might be there.

They need to see it first.

And they would very easily see it, just in their general exploration of the KSC.  Flying an airplane around the facility, for example.

I did that plenty of times before the monument was visible, merely because I was curious and wanted to explore.

If a person is the sort to hunt down secrets, they're already the sort to explore the KSC simply for the sake of exploring the KSC.

Just now, Daripuff said:

And they would very easily see it, just in their general exploration of the KSC.  Flying an airplane around the facility, for example.

I did that plenty of times before the monument was visible, merely because I was curious and wanted to explore.

If a person is the sort to hunt down secrets, they're already the sort to explore the KSC simply for the sake of exploring the KSC.

Most don't fly around the facility, especially since are mostly in career mode from what I've gathered in various livestreams on twitch. Few play sandbox anymore. That means no ones flying over the KSC unless there's a need, which there rarely is.

Maybe your a minority rather than a majority?

Catch is, it isn't in the KSC. It's simply on the peninsula. So searching the KSC will work to no avail.

Most don't fly around the facility, especially since are mostly in career mode from what I've gathered in various livestreams on twitch. Few play sandbox anymore. That means no ones flying over the KSC unless there's a need, which there rarely is.

Catch is, it isn't in the KSC. It's simply on the peninsula. So searching the KSC will work to no avail.

A:  Those who wouldn't simply fly around the KSC to explore are absolutely those who wouldn't seek out easter eggs.  As you said, there is no need for it, therefore they won't do it.   If they are of the explorative heart that would seek out easter eggs, they're absolutely the sort who would explore the KSC for no reason other than to explore the KSC.

B:  It may not be IN the KSC, but it's absolutely visible from the KSC without any need for seeking.  That's my problem. That it's painfully visible from both the default camera angle of the KSC overview, and from the default launch camera.     All it would take for the explorative sort to see it is for them to rotate the camera.

If they're not the sort who would rotate the camera out of curiosity to look at the KSC more closely, then they're not the sort who would care about exploring the system for easter eggs.

I have to agree with the OP.

Eyesores cannot count as Easter eggs. And with vismods it surely is an eyesore. Anyone knows which files the anomalies are defined in? I'd love to eliminate one or two of them.

3 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Think you're making a major assumption here. Once I get so far in the tech tree, I'll explore all over the KSC ! Maybe you're the minority!

5 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Unlikely.

So you're telling me, you've got a "Flight Director: explore" badge in your signature, and you've NEVER just flown around the KSC for no reason other than to fly around the KSC?

So you're telling me, you've got a "Flight Director: explore" badge in your signature, and you've NEVER just flown around the KSC for no reason other than to fly around the KSC?

Like all real pilots- when I take off, it's for a purpose. I have a destination and goal in mind.

As to my Flight Director's Badges, please click them and learn more before commenting on them with no information.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Like all real pilots- when I take off, it's for a purpose. I have a destination and goal in mind.

As to my Flight Director's Badges, please click them and learn more before commenting on them with no information.

Fair enough.

So you don't care about the easter eggs, then, since there are no stock missions in campaign that will ever point you there.  Correct?

Fair enough.

So you don't care about the easter eggs, then, since there are no stock missions in campaign that will ever point you there.  Correct?

I do care, but leave them as is. If I want to go there; it's my intended destination, not an accident.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.