Rename/Fix Gus Kerman

regardless of what Squad intended with a Gus Kermin, stating that "hope nothing catches fire..." is pure offensiveness. Its not dark humor, its offensive. I agree they need to change his name or strike the comment from being anywhere NEAR a Gus of any kind.

53 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Yeah, I hear somewhere when I first joined it was about him, since he wears the hazmat suit and I think that Gus wears one too in Breaking Physics Bad.

Walt wears the hazmat suit, who is definitely named for Walter from Breaking Bad.  Gus looks like a construction worker for some reason, but while that may not be Gus Frink attire, it's not Gus Grissom attire either.

30 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

regardless of what Squad intended with a Gus Kermin, stating that "hope nothing catches fire..." is pure offensiveness. Its not dark humor, its offensive. I agree they need to change his name or strike the comment from being anywhere NEAR a Gus of any kind.

Offensive to whom?  It can't be you because it has nothing to do with you.  It can't be Gus Grissom because, well, I don't think dead people can be offended.  So who exactly is it offensive to?  I think people just need to stop being offended by every little thing.

Edited by Alshain

3 hours ago, Alshain said:

Offensive to whom?  It can't be you because it has nothing to do with you.  It can't be Gus Grissom because, well, I don't think dead people can be offended.  So who exactly is it offensive to?  I think people just need to stop being offended by every little thing.

They believe the offense is taken by the dead families which I feel is ridiculous. People feel they have to defend others who can easily defend themselves. If we spend all of existance just looking down and shaming an event what do we gain from it? People have things backwards.

Apollo 1 was a tragedy, yes. But don't lock it to negativity. Stop looking at it as a tragedy and more a huge step for Apollo. The failure was going to happen as Gus himself said. Which I can't emphasize enough. Gus knew the risks and the costs. Not to mention, he knew one day that someone was going to die in the name of space exploration. 

It's been in the game since career has been first introduced. Why after 8 versions has it suddenly become so dark it's unexceptable? You do realize this is a game where some people consider torturing these little green men are acceptable. Where one of the most popular people who started with KSP, is praised in mass for his ability to make them "suffer". But a bit of inside historical knowledge on a subject very much related is too much.

28 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

They believe the offense is taken by the dead families which I feel is ridiculous. People feel they have to defend others who can easily defend themselves. If we spend all of existance just looking down and shaming an event what do we gain from it? People have things backwards.

Apollo 1 was a tragedy, yes. But don't lock it to negativity. Stop looking at it as a tragedy and more a huge step for Apollo. The failure was going to happen as Gus himself said. Which I can't emphasize enough. Gus knew the risks and the costs. Not to mention, he knew one day that someone was going to die in the name of space exploration. 

It's not a matter of defending anything, it's a matter of basic decency and respect for the dead. Yes, the Apollo 1 astronauts knew the risks and (I don't believe) would have wanted Apollo 1 to stop the Moon program or (in some cases) space exploration in general. That's still no excuse to use Apollo 1 for a cheap one-liner in a video game or anywhere else.

Edit: I'm sure it wasn't intended as such, but it can clearly be misinterpreted in that way.

28 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

It's been in the game since career has been first introduced. Why after 8 versions has it suddenly become so dark it's unexceptable? You do realize this is a game where some people consider torturing these little green men are acceptable. Where one of the most popular people who started with KSP, is praised in mass for his ability to make them "suffer". But a bit of inside historical knowledge on a subject very much related is too much.

Fallacious argument on two counts. One - leaving a mistake uncorrected for a given length of time says nothing at all about whether that mistake should be corrected in future. Two, most video games from Pac-Man to Call of Duty are about more or less cartoonized violence. That doesn't mean that video games can't cross lines. I can think of several examples where various scenes, or allowed player actions in a game have drawn large amounts of criticism for various reasons, especially when torture or murdering civilians was involved.

Edited by KSK

7 minutes ago, KSK said:

It's not a matter of defending anything, it's a matter of basic decency and respect for the dead. Yes, the Apollo 1 astronauts knew the risks and (I don't believe) would have wanted Apollo 1 to stop the Moon program or (in some cases) space exploration in general. That's still no excuse to use Apollo 1 for a cheap one-liner in a video game or anywhere else.

Edit: I'm sure it wasn't intended as such, but it can clearly be misinterpreted in that way.

Fallacious argument on two counts. One - leaving a mistake uncorrected for a given length of time says nothing at all about whether that mistake should be corrected in future. Two, most video games from Pac-Man to Call of Duty are about more or less cartoonized violence. That doesn't mean that video games can't cross lines. I can think of several examples where various scenes, or allowed player actions in a game have drawn large amounts of criticism for various reasons, especially when torture or murdering civilians was involved.

However Gus wouldn't want his death to be treated like the titanic disaster. 

So again, dark humor in a dark game is unacceptable. But dramatizing the life of American soliders who die for us is ok.

It's not dark humor, because ITS NOT GUS GRISSOM!

Does Gus Kerman look like Gus Grissom? is Gus Kerman in a space suit? Is Gus Kerman in an Apollo capsule ? Is Gus Kerman discussing a capsule when he says anything about fire? The answer to all of them is no. Because it's not Gus Grissom, it's not dark humor, it's just a friggin game. And Gus Kerman is in the admin bldg. not even anything to do with a spacecraft at all in this game.  Seriously.

This is redonkulous,  And people are making more of this than needs be, because it's nothing. But we have to find something to be offended about every single day. 

Why don't we just git rid of all kerbal names? Get rid of all failures in ksp and reenetry heat? Geez just get rid of kerbals, because if any one of them die it can resemble any kind of accident that happened to someone ever in the history of life on earth. 

Edited by Hevak

1 minute ago, Hevak said:

It's not dark humor, because ITS NOT GUS GRISSOM!

Does Gus Kerman look like Gus Grissom? is Gus Kerman in a space suit? Is Gus Kerman in an Apollo 1 capsule ? Is Gus Kerman discussing a capsule when he says anything about fire? The answer to all of them is no. Because it's not Gus Grissom, it's not dark humor, it's just a friggin game. Seriously. 

This is redonkulous,  And people are making more of this than needs be, because it's nothing. But we have to find something to be offended about every single day. 

Why don't we just git rid of all kerbal names? Get rid of all failures in ksp and reenetry heat? Geez just get rid of kerbals, because if any one of them die it can resemble any kind of accident that happened to someone ever in the history of life on earth. 

It is supposed to be Gus as in Gus Virgil Grussom.

Anyway, I'm making a final statement in this thread since this "discussion" is as said before, ridiculous.  

It's a small joke that's blown way out of proportion. When I play the game I want to see small bits of humor like that. For my money, I approve of it and I don't want people who are getting butt hurt for people they don't even know ruining my gameplay experience.

If I have to pay another $40 just to get a separate version of the game where things like that are left in, then so be it. 

I made an investment buying into this game and this is one "joke" I stand behind, specifically in that it makes an inside joke that only someone who knows about the tragedy would know of. 

So you can discuss the "moral implications" of this, but I'm going to enjoy the game as I invested. Since I know what Squad's intentions were when making the joke. 

With that, I'm out of this thread.

And I highly advice to any and all moderators to lock this thread. I smell a source of strife.

4 hours ago, Alshain said:

It is possible to have empathy for other people and find something unrelated to yourself offensive or distasteful.  The internet has done of a good job of destroying reasoned discussion on the subject with all the triggering going on now a days.  Still doesn't mean there isn't a reasonable side to the discussion.

I think we can sum up this thread by saying that some people find the issue upsetting, whilst others can't understand why. It's never a good idea to tell someone that what they are upset about is nothing, when it clearly is something to that person. 

Thread locked since everything seems to have been said. Feel free to PM me if you feel this is unfair.