Ksp 1.1 is crashing and i have no idea why

so i finally decided to upgrade to 1.1 (all my favorite mods have been updated and i need the optimization to expand my laythe base)

but whenever i open the game it stops responding for about 30 seconds before crashing

i have no idea why this is happening i tried uninstalling all my mods but it still crashes

here's a paste of my error.txt if that helps

http://pastebin.com/9dh8M7Mx

note that i am playing this on a pc without a dedicated gpu but it has been able to run the game up until now at a reasonable FPS so it should work

this is the first time i have posted a thread for tech support reasons so if this is in the wrong section of the forums i'm sorry

4 hours ago, bioman3 said:

this is the first time i have posted a thread for tech support reasons so if this is in the wrong section of the forums i'm sorry

No worries, bioman. We actually have a tech support forum, so I moved your request there. Hope you get the help you need.

79% memory in use.

3062 MB physical memory [623 MB free]

You're running out of memory, the operating system will use some, as will any other open programs such as your browser.

KSP_x64 won't help a lot here as you don't have a lot of memory, if you are still using mods I suggest you remove some more, and check that you are using KSP version 1.1.3

6 hours ago, sal_vager said:

You're running out of memory, the operating system will use some, as will any other open programs such as your browser.

KSP_x64 won't help a lot here as you don't have a lot of memory, if you are still using mods I suggest you remove some more, and check that you are using KSP version 1.1.3

have all non-essential programs closed and i have uninstalled all of my mods

still crashes

10 hours ago, LN400 said:

Have you tried running the 64 bit exe? (Assuming a 64 bit system)

i can't i'm running a 32 bit OS

thanks to all of you for the support so far keep it coming

While its not the preferred method of running KSP, you can use the command "-force-opengl" in Steam under properties of KSP.  Click on "Set launch options..." and use that command.  See if that helps the crashing.

I have too many mods and my game will not run without -force-opengl for more than 15 to 30 minutes without crashing.  Reason the game crashes for me is generally memory.  This is just a band-aid, but if it allows you to play without the crashes, it's worth it.

@bioman3, can you install a 64bit version of Windows on your PC, or is your PC also 32bit?

I ask this because older 32bit Windows operating systems are limited to about 2gb for user applications (3gb with 4-gigabyte tuning (4GT)).

32bit KSP on Windows 64bit will have a little more memory accessible to it.

It is possible to bring KSP's memory use down by running it with the lowest texture setting of 1/8th resolution, it's also possible to reduce it further but this requires deleting texture files.

Just now, sal_vager said:

@bioman3, can you install a 64bit version of Windows on your PC, or is your PC also 32bit?

I ask this because older 32bit Windows operating systems are limited to about 2gb for user applications (3gb with 4-gigabyte tuning (4GT)).

32bit KSP on Windows 64bit will have a little more memory accessible to it.

It is possible to bring KSP's memory use down by running it with the lowest texture setting of 1/8th resolution, it's also possible to reduce it further but this requires deleting texture files.

wasn't 1.1 supposed to DECREASE memory usage?

why is this happening?

In 1.1 and above a lot of work was done to improve performance by things such as the physics, this did not reduce the total memory used as caching things in memory uses a little more RAM, but provides a little more speed.

1.0 saw a memory reduction with the move to the .dds format for textures.

Unfortunately you are trying to run a game that needs more than 2gb on a system that cannot provide it, going over that limit by just 1mb will cause KSP to crash.

Reducing your texture setting will help, with all graphics settings reduced KSP should use about 1.9gb with a rocket on the launchpad.

Forcing KSP to use OpenGL will help as well, as it will handle texture memory a little bit more efficiently than DirectX9, and using an operating system that doesn't restrict the user to 2gb for applications will also help avoid this.

You could check your boot.ini for the /GB flag but I don't recommend this as you could cause Windows to fail to start.

And please make sure you are using 1.1.3, you keep saying 1.1, if you are using 1.1 you are behind the current release and 1.1.3 may work for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.