PC Gamer's Top 100 games - KSP #...

MaxxQ

Just got the new PCG in the mail today, and it's their annual 100 Greatest PC Games (of all time) issue.  KSP was bumped up from #17 last year to #11 this year.

Congrats, Squad!

Edit: The top ten were (from 10 to 1):

Skyrim

GTA V

Rocket League

Portal

Metal Gear Solid V

Dishonored

Mass Effect 2

Half-Life 2

Dark Souls

And number one was The Witcher 3

Edited by MaxxQ

15 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Well done.  Shame Civilization isn't in the top 10 IMHO.  And ksp just missed on the top 10 of all time!  What would it take to get KSP over the final hump?

Peace.

Civ V was ranked #26.  That was the only Civ game listed.

Edit: My own personal #1 is the original Deus Ex.  I've played it at least once per year since the day it was released.  I still find new things and find new ways to do stuff in there.

Edited by MaxxQ

Dark Souls feels like the only game that belongs there. Half Life 1 should be in place of 2, and Morrowind should be in place of Skyrim. Also imo Arkane's older game Dark Messiah is better than Dishonored, but I don't think either game would belong in the top 10 anyway. And where's Elite? Warcraft/Starcraft? Anything at all of non-Western origin? As pincushionman said, this list is skewed in favour of what is fresh in (American) people's memories.

Thank god Fallout 4 isn't up there; again you're looking at the originals for the actually good games in that series.

I feel like KSP's place between 11 and 19 is rightful.

15 hours ago, theJesuit said:

What would it take to get KSP over the final hump?

Interesting planets. Geologically diverse (and in the case of places like Laythe, active) locations, and perhaps science being more of a long term study thing than a matter of reaching a location and checking some boxes (though this is also quite satisfying, especially when Chatterer's SSTV sounds go off). I'm not sure anyone has a real idea of how to incentivise interplanetary missions through the game's mechanics and make the system more 'alive', but I feel reasonably confident that this is the best next step for the game (starting with 1.2 antenna mechanics).

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, pincushionman said:

I notice almost all of these games are from the past few years. What about the true classics? Staying power, especially after "the next best thing" has come and gone, is the measure of a great game, in my opinion.

Well, there ARE a few games from before 2000 - Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (90), Curse of Monkey Island (77), MechCommander Gold (71), Doom II (69), Half-Life (60), C&C: Red Alert (40), and Planescape: Torment (34).

The last one on that list is in my personal Top Five. 

2 hours ago, String Witch said:

Dark Souls feels like the only game that belongs there. Half Life 1 should be in place of 2, and Morrowind should be in place of Skyrim. Also imo Arkane's older game Dark Messiah is better than Dishonored, but I don't think either game would belong in the top 10 anyway. And where's Elite? Warcraft/Starcraft? Anything at all of non-Western origin? As pincushionman said, this list is skewed in favour of what is fresh in (American) people's memories.

Thank god Fallout 4 isn't up there; again you're looking at the originals for the actually good games in that series.

This is exactly why I say these lists are meaningless.  They are only relevant to the guy that wrote it.  Absolutely everyone else has a different view.  If I were to make such a list.  Portal would be lower, Portal 2 would be higher, Half-Life 2 is about right and the rest of the top 10 wouldn't have made the top 100. KSP would have been #3  behind Final Fantasy VII and SimCity 4.  But my tastes differ from everyone else, as does everyone else's tastes differ from the author of this silly list.

Edited by Alshain

17 minutes ago, Alshain said:

This is exactly why I say these lists are meaningless.  They are only relevant to the guy that wrote it.  Absolutely everyone else has a different view.  If I were to make such a list.  Portal would be lower, Portal 2 would be higher, Half-Life 2 is about right and the rest of the top 10 wouldn't have made the top 100. KSP would have been #3  behind Final Fantasy VII and SimCity 4.  But my tastes differ from everyone else, as does everyone else's tastes differ from the author of this silly list.

Except this list wasn't written by one guy.  Every year, it's a compilation of several reviewers' (18 of them, in fact) choices for both the US and UK editions of the magazine.

Edit: An no one ever said it was an objective list.  Of course lists like this are subjective.  That's part of the fun.

Edited by MaxxQ

Just now, MaxxQ said:

Except this list wasn't written by one guy.  Every year, it's a compilation of several reviewers' (18 of them, in fact) choices for both the US and UK editions of the magazine.

Alright, so it's valid for 18 people.

Just now, Alshain said:

Alright, so it's valid for 18 people.

Probably not.  If half the stories I've heard about the lead up to these articles are true, there are some serious arguments.

I never take these lists as authoritative, but I like reading them because they're interesting, and I have fun arguing with their choices myself.  So lighten up a little and enjoy something like this for what it is.

These types of lists are important from a commercial viewpoint.  Not only are they cheap quick and easy to produce, but they are print media's version of clickbait (to see where our favourite games are, and to say: look how in tune our editors are with you, our potential reader and target for our advertisers)

I only play two games, but a list like this from a reputable source might encourage me to try something else once in a while, meaning I might part with my hard earned cash.

If KSP was in the top 5 say, Squad would probably get a boost on the next Steam Sale or a spike of demo downloads.

Peace.

On 8/13/2016 at 5:02 PM, MaxxQ said:

Just got the new PCG in the mail today, and it's their annual 100 Greatest PC Games (of all time) issue

How often does a list like this get changed? Surely it shouldn't at all, unless a new game comes along that really is better than a previous one. Even then, the games should just be moved down a slot, not completely re-evaluated.

Well any publicity is good publicity I guess.

With that said, that 'top ten of all time' is farcical and heavily skewed towards a couple of game types. In my opinion of course.

Edited by KSK

8 hours ago, Mjp1050 said:

How often does a list like this get changed? Surely it shouldn't at all, unless a new game comes along that really is better than a previous one. Even then, the games should just be moved down a slot, not completely re-evaluated.

They redo the list every year (hence the word "annual").  And why shouldn't it change every year?  As I said above, it's entirely subjective, and there are different people (sometimes) each year deciding the current list.  Opinions change.

Christ, people!  No one said anywhere that it was a definitive, authoritative, objective list.  Hell, even PCG poked fun at it on the last page of the magazine, with a Top 100 Internet Reaction Bingo card, with squares that say things like: "Crap List. Doesn't have (niche game from 25 years ago)", "They're obviously being bribed by Valve", "They're obviously being bribed by Bioware", They're obviously being bribed by CD Projekt", "They're obviously being bribed by That Stardew Valley Guy", "What is this, Console Gamer?", and the best one, "Why isn't Thief II on the list?"

Why can't anyone accept it for what it is and enjoy it?

Could a mod lock this thread?  It's not worth having if people are just going to poodle about the list instead of my intention of congratulating Squad on some recognition.