Need Help Testing a Game Concept [Updated]

ZooNamedGames

I've had a few game concepts floating in my head for a while now, and I would like it if some people would test them out for me :) .

Now note, these are game concepts, not actual games. Before I can make them into games I need to see if they work in concept. So until it's fully tested, there won't be any real games. 

If your interested please PM me your Steam/Skype/Discord/etc info so we can test. 

For those wondering, can I play test with a few of my friends? Yes! That would be fantastic as it would allow me to also test multiplayer functionality.

I have a game concept about the Ghostbusters, Back To The Future Pokémon, one story based NASA manager game, and now *NEW* Sly Cooper game.

The Ghostbusters idea would be similar to the concept of the Ghostbusters NES game where you not only run the business, but also choose what technology you create and where you get called. This would be different from the Ghostbusters game that just debuted several years ago as it wouldn't be stuck solely to story (although the release build will).

The Pokémon idea would be an upgraded version from the video games adding an "arena" play area where the Pokémon would have to traverse to actually attack you. Basically the normal Pokémon games, but in a 3 dimensions. 

The NASA Space Program Manager would be all it's own unique. The player would take the place of the manager of the American space program in the late 50s and from there, choose what paths they wish to take. They can follow solely a scientific endeavors, solely militaristic, or solely monetary programs as well as mixing and matching of each of those paths. Each path will lead the player down different situations to handle. Some may be handling the press of the program, the finances, or something tragic such as Apollo 1 or Apollo 13. Players would also be conversing with others by choosing select speech options. which will impact the story.

The Sly Cooper game concept would be a retake on some events that would've have happened between the 2nd and 3rd game. The subtitle for this game would be "Secrets of Thieves". The idea would be to follow Sly Cooper as he chases down one of his sole surviving family member. It will play out much like the games with a mixture of combat, skill and logic to complete the game.

Updated Updated (V2)

Edited by ZooNamedGames

Made a change to the OP, I decided to drop the Back To The Future game concept as the basis was too diverse, needs another medium to test run it through. That will be coming later.

However I could still use help with the other concepts.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

• 3 weeks later...

I can't fail to note that you provided no information about the concepts themselves. Add a very short, concise description of each one of them. Precision and abundance of details are not relevant. The designs ideally should give clues about the scope of the project, the major mechanics, what the core user interactions are and where the major problems in implementation could arise from. At the very least they should give the reader a feeling about what the game is about.

This is something i wrote in another, more innocent era. Digged out from some ancient stuff of mine for the purpose of showing you how a very early and crude design could be written down.

Spoiler

idea:
  - educate/entertain on critical decision-making in economic, social and political matters
  - show how complex systems evolve in non-intuitive ways

theme:
  - the human kind, from the present to its near future
  - show the earth, stylized, with objects representing the current state of the system as a planet
  - show out-of-earth endeavours graphically, using a stylized model of the solar system

gameplay:
  - the player is offered a choice at every step on the tree
  - this choice introduce 'modifiers' into the system
  - modifiers apply to something in the system, last for a number of 'steps' and have their effects
    come into fruition and wear off gradually, depending on the particular modifier
  - the state, then, evolve in complex ways and the user is almost unable to predict future events
  - in addition, randomness is added in such a way as to be not frustrating for the user
  - stats are provided, but the modifier system is not represented to the user
    to force it to think intuitively of decisions

===================================================================================================

"Like a ship sailing into the dark waters, so our planet gravitate in its long travel.
 But will what somehow came into fruition survive and prosper or perish and disappear?"

As our system grow in complexity, the nations of the earth realize the need for a decision-maker.
 Will you serve the people? Don't worry, you'll not be asked to decide on futile matters.
 Only the most serious problems will be asked you to solve. May you be wise.

16 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I can't fail to note that you provided no information about the concepts themselves. Add a very short, concise description of each one of them. Precision and abundance of details are not relevant. The designs ideally should give clues about the scope of the project, the major mechanics, what the core user interactions are and where the major problems in implementation could arise from. At the very least they should give the reader a feeling about what the game is about.

This is something i wrote in another, more innocent era. Digged out from some ancient stuff of mine for the purpose of showing you how a very early and crude design could be written down.

Reveal hidden contents

idea:
  - educate/entertain on critical decision-making in economic, social and political matters
  - show how complex systems evolve in non-intuitive ways

theme:
  - the human kind, from the present to its near future
  - show the earth, stylized, with objects representing the current state of the system as a planet
  - show out-of-earth endeavours graphically, using a stylized model of the solar system

gameplay:
  - the player is offered a choice at every step on the tree
  - this choice introduce 'modifiers' into the system
  - modifiers apply to something in the system, last for a number of 'steps' and have their effects
    come into fruition and wear off gradually, depending on the particular modifier
  - the state, then, evolve in complex ways and the user is almost unable to predict future events
  - in addition, randomness is added in such a way as to be not frustrating for the user
  - stats are provided, but the modifier system is not represented to the user
    to force it to think intuitively of decisions

===================================================================================================

"Like a ship sailing into the dark waters, so our planet gravitate in its long travel.
 But will what somehow came into fruition survive and prosper or perish and disappear?"

As our system grow in complexity, the nations of the earth realize the need for a decision-maker.
 Will you serve the people? Don't worry, you'll not be asked to decide on futile matters.
 Only the most serious problems will be asked you to solve. May you be wise.

Everything you need to know will be explained in advance. I do not want to go into detail since that could cross the line into 2.2j. I will answer what I can.

Thankfully after a chat with @Deddly I know where my limits are as to the discussion.

13 hours ago, Camacha said:

How do you propose to test these concepts?

Over text in a PM or any other instant messaging software you can think of (Discord, Skype, Steam, IRC).

17 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Over text in a PM or any other instant messaging software you can think of (Discord, Skype, Steam, IRC).

I am not talking about the way of communicating, I am talking about the process itself. Somehow you manage to sidestep any and all questions about the content, never once making any statement about it. It would really help if you would do that.

“Lift Off! is a turn-based board game in which 4-6 players compete with each other to land a team on the moon. The players need to advance on the technology tree on the board, meanwhile performing missions. They can barter with each other to buy propellant, technology and crew for their missions. Dice rolls, combined with the state of their technology, determine the success of missions, generating income, experience, and new technology. The average game should take about 12 turns and would last between two and three hours”

I’m obviously totally making this up, but a blurb like that would attract a lot more volunteers, I think.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

“Lift Off! is a turn-based board game in which 4-6 players compete with each other to land a team on the moon. The players need to advance on the technology tree on the board, meanwhile performing missions. They can barter with each other to buy propellant, technology and crew for their missions. Dice rolls, combined with the state of their technology, determine the success of missions, generating income, experience, and new technology. The average game should take about 12 turns and would last between two and three hours”

I’m obviously totally making this up, but a blurb like that would attract a lot more volunteers, I think.

Well it wouldn't be a video game but if there's serious interest I'll update the OP.

Personally I think the posts from yesterday killed this thread. I see little hope in its recovery... But if it does survive and people are curious then I'll update the OP.

2 hours ago, Camacha said:

I am not talking about the way of communicating, I am talking about the process itself. Somehow you manage to sidestep any and all questions about the content, never once making any statement about it. It would really help if you would do that.

Then by explaining how things work in advance so you can make choices and choose your play choices from there?

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Personally I think the posts from yesterday killed this thread. I see little hope in its recovery... But if it does survive and people are curious then I'll update the OP.

We told you before, you need to generate curiosity. You do that by helping people understand your project one way or another. Kerbart had a pretty good example of how to do something like that.

And yes, being creative means people disliking your idea. That is part of the deal. It also generally involves people liking your idea, so it is not all that bad. You also should be aware that creative people are pretty most always insecure about what they created. That feeling never goes away, no matter how much success people have. Famous comic artists still think their good ideas have dried up. Even people like Beyoncé sometimes throw up before a show, because they are still nervous about it. Your creation is your baby and presenting it to the world means people might step on it. Do not let you discourage you, however. The end result is all worth it :)

On 17/8/2016 at 10:36 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

The Ghostbusters idea would be similar to the concept of the Ghostbusters NES game where you not only run the business, but also choose what technology you create and where you get called. This would be different from the Ghostbusters game that just debuted several years ago as it wouldn't be stuck solely to story (although the release build will).

I remember playing that on my ZX Spectrum.  Could be interesting.

On 17/8/2016 at 10:36 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

The Pokémon idea would be an upgraded version from the video games adding an "arena" play area where the Pokémon would have to traverse to actually attack you. Basically the normal Pokémon games, but in a 3 dimensions.

Sounds quite similar to Pokemon Conquest or the Shin Megami Tensai: Devil Survivor series.  If you could pull off something in that vein on the PC it could end up quite popular.  Look at what happened with Stardew Valley.

9 minutes ago, pxi said:

I remember playing that on my ZX Spectrum.  Could be interesting.

Sounds quite similar to Pokemon Conquest or the Shin Megami Tensai: Devil Survivor series.  If you could pull off something in that vein on the PC it could end up quite popular.  Look at what happened with Stardew Valley.

Only issue is getting copyright permissions but that plagues the Ghostbusters idea as well. Granted they had permission to make a video game once and they bombed! Ah well.

On 8/17/2016 at 5:36 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

The NASA Space Program Manager would be all it's own unique. The player would take the place of the manager of the American space program in the late 50s and from there, choose what paths they wish to take. They can follow solely a scientific endeavors, solely militaristic, or solely monetary programs as well as mixing and matching of each of those paths. Each path will lead the player down different situations to handle. Some may be handling the press of the program, the finances, or something tragic such as Apollo 1 or Apollo 13. Players would also be conversing with others by choosing select speech options. which will impact the story.

Would it be similar to Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space game from a couple of years ago? I'm not saying that's a bad thing (apparently I got my subconsious inspiration from the "liftoff" example from there as well), it just gives us something to compare it with.

Based on my experience with KSP I have a few ideas on how to differentiate this game a little bit, which might or might come with some challenges that need to be overcome.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Only issue is getting copyright permissions but that plagues the Ghostbusters idea as well. Granted they had permission to make a video game once and they bombed! Ah well.

If you want my opinion, don't bother, create your own IP.

Licensing the Ghostbusters universe might be possible, but considering Nintendo's reaction to Uranium and AM2R, I'd reckon you haven't a hope of licensing Pokemon.

10 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Would it be similar to Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space game from a couple of years ago? I'm not saying that's a bad thing (apparently I got my subconsious inspiration from the "liftoff" example from there as well), it just gives us something to compare it with.

Based on my experience with KSP I have a few ideas on how to differentiate this game a little bit, which might or might come with some challenges that need to be overcome.

Not quite. Unlike BARiS, this would be much into aesthetics, the experience, and story.

8 minutes ago, pxi said:

If you want my opinion, don't bother, create your own IP.

Licensing the Ghostbusters universe might be possible, but considering Nintendo's reaction to Uranium and AM2R, I'd reckon you haven't a hope of licensing Pokemon.

Nintendo made the Super Mario Brothers Movie, The PowerGlove (and I own it), The Virtual Boy and now, Pokemon Go which from what I've seen, have left to rot. 

I think they could last one independent development. 

Granted your right, it's a moot point.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

17 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Do not get hung up on copyright permissions. It is a terribly complex area. If you fashion your ideas in such a way that they will work well without the IP involved too, your games will be better for it and copyright permissions are not a huge issue either.

7 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Do not get hung up on copyright permissions. It is a terribly complex area. If you fashion your ideas in such a way that they will work well without the IP involved too, your games will be better for it and copyright permissions are not a huge issue either.

Could just add "Not a Ghostbusters Game!" To the title and continue?

If you want to make a board game, i think if you make a prototype (CAD then print) and then there was a company that you could pitch it to in order to prove it was feasible and fun. I can't remember the company, i will try find it.

it seems that there are several. I don't know where you are from but I just typed in ''pitch a board game'' and several came up so i think there should be some near you also. Goodluck.:D

Edited by worir4

36 minutes ago, worir4 said:

If you want to make a board game, i think if you make a prototype (CAD then print) and then there was a company that you could pitch it to in order to prove it was feasible and fun. I can't remember the company, i will try find it.

it seems that there are several. I don't know where you are from but I just typed in ''pitch a board game'' and several came up so i think there should be some near you also. Goodluck.:D

these are planned to be done over text and are planned as video game, not board.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.