TCA without MM?

Hi most of the mods that use MM only do so because it's easier and a future proof way of adding modules to  existing parts.  The other way is to consult the mods documentation and manually enter the module into each part cfg you want the module on. 

As can be seen this is OK as long as you don't mind that if the mod doesn't get updated when ksp does, then you will  have to go through and manually remove all those cfg entries.

MM only provides the service, the other mods do the work, what are your objections to module manager?

I can't fully answer your question but why on earth would you not want to use ModuleManager?
MM is probably the most useful and versatile mods ever while at the same time it is the least intrusive. It only adds the functionality to the files you tell it to. Nothing more nothing less. What you want would require you to edit or replace each and every file individually. When you want to remove that mod you would have to edit or replace them all again.
Some mods require a lot of files to be edited/replaced which can, and usually will, introduce errors due to typo's ignorance and/or lack of skill. ModuleManager can do it all for you, fully automated. Removing an MM patch will cease to add the functionality within and restores the affected files to their defaults.

So what you want can be done. But MM makes your life A LOT easier.

Edited by Tex_NL

(I really hope that this won't end up in a stupid quarrel!)

I don't trust ModuleManager. 12 of my saves got turned into *game crash* due to MM.

Also, why should an autopilot mod that just changes thrust limiters use MM at all? There are at least hundreds of players who don't have MM, and somehow manage to change the thrust limiter of their engines :P What's the difference between manual thrust limiter adjustment and doing it by an autopilot?

//EDIT: This is why I really hoped this wouldn't end like this, too.

//EDIT2: Any actual answers to the question I asked in the OP? Because I don't see any.

Edited by TheDestroyer111

All MM does is add the info from a patch into the .cfg files. If such a patch is flawed then MM will add that flaw to the .cfg. But that's not MM's fault. MM itself does NOT crash your game.

Edited by Tex_NL

Off the shelf mod for an auto pilot - none that I know of.

With a small amount of work (editing some text files) on your part you can - as SpannerMonkey suggested - manually add the autopilot module to your chosen command pods/cockpits.

On 24/08/2016 at 7:39 PM, TheDestroyer111 said:

Also, why should an autopilot mod that just changes thrust limiters use MM at all?

Because the module need to be added to part for it to work. As other already said MM did not crash your game, a mod did and that mod just append to use MM to ad its module like 95% of KSP mods

On 24/08/2016 at 7:39 PM, TheDestroyer111 said:

Any actual answers to the question I asked in the OP? Because I don't see any.

No. There is no autopilot that does not require MM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.