[1.2] Galileo's Planet Pack (development thread) [v0.9]

Galileo

I would agree with giving Nero a ring.
It'd be giving the crown to the king.
:)

The largest planet.

We can definitely say Tellumo is a very special boy... He ate/killed his moon. :( Also would it be an inclined ring?

I realize I have a good bit of cleaning up to do in the mainland region of Gael's map, apart from adding the volcano. And I'll have to play the game to fill in the places that I didn't notice and don't know yet if they're Inland Water or Valleys.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

I would agree with giving Nero a ring.
It'd be giving the crown to the king.
:)

The largest planet.

We can definitely say Tellumo is a very special boy... He ate/killed his moon. :( Also would it be an inclined ring?

I realize I have a good bit of cleaning up to do in the mainland region of Gael's map, apart from adding the volcano. And I'll have to play the game to fill in the places that I didn't notice and don't know yet if they're Inland Water or Valleys.

It can be a bit hard to tell.  I would suggest using the heightmap as a reference 

25 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Also would it be an inclined ring?

If the rings formed out of the original protoplanetary disc that created Tellumo, then probably no.  In that case the rings should have almost no inclination.  However, if the rings formed out of a small moon that passed inside the planet's Roche limit and was ripped apart by tidal forces, then the rings should have the same inclination as the original moon.  If that moon where a captured asteroid, then I see no reason why it couldn't be in an inclined orbit.

My intention was indeed that the ring would come from an inclined moon. :) Maybe the inclination would add some spice. But my image of it is not as clear as it would be in Galileo's mind. I can't decided how thick and how inclined a ring would look good on a Super-Terra.

I'm not insisting the ring come from a moon. I leave that you your hands.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

17 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

My intention was indeed that the ring would come from an inclined moon. :) Maybe the inclination would add some spice. But my image of it is not as clear as it would be in Galileo's mind. I can't decided how thick and how inclined a ring would look good on a Super-Terra.

I have some ideas.  I'm also playing with the idea of placing a very small moon in between those rings.  I think I secretly never want development to end 

Edited by Galileo

30 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I'm also playing with the idea of placing a very small moon in between those rings.  

That thought cross my mind as well.  But you're the guy who has to do all the work, so I'm certainly not insisting on anything.

Thinking about a Tellumo ring also got me thinking about its atmosphere again.  One of the reasons Tellumo's atmosphere is so shallow, 40 km, is because I figured it as a homogeneous mixture of gases with a molecular weight of 29 g/mol.  I real life, atmospheres are homogeneous only to a point, below which the gases are constantly mixed, but above which the gases start to stratify according to molecular weight.  The heavier gases thin out first, leaving an extended upper atmosphere of lightweight gases like hydrogen.  As big and cool as Tellumo is, I tend to believe that it would have a rather significant hydrogen-helium upper atmosphere.

It's not possible in KSP to alter the molecular weight of the atmosphere, but I could fudge it.  When considering drag and heat, what's important is density, not pressure.  I could manipulate the pressure curve to give the correct density even it the pressure and molecular weight are incorrect.  This would likely give Tellumo a deeper atmosphere with greater drag and heat high in its atmosphere.

I'm getting ready to take a lunch break, but when I get back I'll investigate Tellumo's atrmosphere further.  I'll create a revised model of its upper atmosphere and see what kind of difference it makes.  If its worth making a change, I'll rewrite the atmosphere configs.

(edit)  That Tellumo ring looks awesome.

Edited by OhioBob

45 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

That thought cross my mind as well.  But you're the guy who has to do all the work, so I'm certainly not insisting on anything.

It's not much work at all.  I have hundreds of textures to pull from so I just have to slap together a cfg. 

11 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

That looks awesome. :cool: I can't wait for it to be updated for 1.2!

I would say go bug the kopernicus dev. about an update but I would have to beg you not to. I think he is busy IRL.  I don't want to scare him off. :D

I looked at Tellumo's atmosphere and I don't think the effect I talked about makes much of a difference.  It does cause an increase in pressure in the upper part of the atmosphere, but the density remains about the same due to the decreasing molecular weight.  The net effect is virtually no change in terms of drag and heating.  Taking a second look at my old calculations, I think I probably should have taken the atmosphere out to 45 km instead of 40 km, but that's about the only change I could possibly recommend.

2 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I looked at Tellumo's atmosphere and I don't think the effect I talked about makes much of a difference.  It does cause an increase in pressure in the upper part of the atmosphere, but the density remains about the same due to the decreasing molecular weight.  The net effect is virtually no change in terms of drag and heating.  Taking a second look at my old calculations, I think I probably should have taken the atmosphere out to 45 km instead of 40 km, but that's about the only change I could possibly recommend.

So the only change would be pushing the atmosphere out 5k? If you wanna make that change go for it.  But if it doesn't make much a difference should we leave it? 

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

So the only change would be pushing the atmosphere out 5k? If you wanna make that change go for it.  But if it doesn't make much a difference should we leave it? 

It might make a little smoother transition between space and atmosphere, but otherwise it won't make much of a difference.  I'm looking into whether or not I want to change it.  I'll let you know.

@OhioBob That's a good question. Would a harder or smoother edge be more welcomed by players with ships trying to aerobrake, aerocapture, or (while air-breathing) just cruise at high altitude in it? But would it also take away from the planet's distinction: Being a super-Terra and having an awesomely short atmosphere?

I.... have an urge to test some air engines on Tellumo. I won't be able to play soon but I'm quite curious to where the upper limit of Oxygen/IntakeAir is.

One of the things I always try to avoid is the "wall of air" effect, where we suddenly go from vacuum to massive drag an heat effects.  I like there to be a bit of a buffer zone.  With Tellumo I didn't leave as much of a buffer zone as I usually do.  To be honest, I'm not sure why I stopped at 40 km, unless I just misread a number or something.  Had I following my normal "rules" for where to end an atmosphere, I would have taken it to 45 km.  I'm in the process of changing it now.  Even at 45 km we still have an awesomely short atmosphere, and drag and heat will build up quite quickly even with the buffer zone.

Edited by OhioBob

I actually experiment with performing a high-speed direct entry at Tellumo and couldn't make it work.  I kept blowing up due to overheating.  Aerocapture might be possible, but I didn't try that specifically.  I also didn't try the large inflatable heat shield.  Entry from low orbit worked fine, but anything high speed could be pretty dicey.  We may find that a propulsive orbit insertion may be the safest (only?) option.

Sounds right. There's not enough atmosphere to afford the time to safely and gradually grind through and lose excess speed.

For the science defs, which gas planet's moons should I focus on? And which one of those first, if you have a favorite among them?

Between Gauss and Nero, that is. No biomes are named yet for Otho or its moons that inludes Augustus, but you can still name Augusts and list its biomes right here or in a PM. Or maybe Gratian?

Edited by JadeOfMaar

11 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Sounds right. There's not enough atmosphere to afford the time to safely and gradually grind through and lose excess speed.

For the science defs, which gas planet's moons should I focus on? And which one of those first, if you have a favorite among them?

Between Gauss and Nero, that is. No biomes are named yet for Otho or its moons that inludes Augustus, but you can still name Augusts and list its biomes right here or in a PM. Or maybe Gratian?

i dont really have a favorite. If you just want to do the most interesting planets to you thats fine. KSP does pull from a generic pool of science defs if there arent any custom ones so not all planets NEED them unless you want to do that. 

Okay. Whoever's making the biome maps for the less interesting remaining planets will jsut need to know what stock biome names to use then. :D I would like all the planets to have custom science but that'll never finish if I remain the only one on it. Still I'd like to hear which in particular folks are interested in so I can make the templates for them in the cfg.

Oh. Do any planets have or intend to have geysers of any sort? I finally just watched Hazard-ish's 3.6t rocket to Eeloo and I saw sparkles. Sparkles erupting everywhere on Eeloo.

9 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Okay. Whoever's making the biome maps for the less interesting remaining planets will jsut need to know what stock biome names to use then. :D I would like all the planets to have custom science but that'll never finish if I remain the only one on it. Still I'd like to hear which in particular folks are interested in so I can make the templates for them in the cfg.

I was hoping for a few more people to be interested but I figured most people just wanted to play with the mod.  Oh well.  When I finally finish the visuals I can help you.  I would like them all to be custom too

please post that video of geysers on eeloo. I think I know how to do it.  I've thought about it but never tried it

Edited by Galileo