So... How many Kerbonauts can remember the Apollo missions?

Bombaatu

If I had a time machine, the two things I'd go see are the Apollo 11 landing and the first release of Star Wars:P 

I remember watching the Space Shuttle launches when I was in elementary school, and looking at the Great Red Spot through the telescope much earlier. I remember the planet Pluto, the end of the shuttle program, Curiosity's landing, and of course Dawn, New Horizons, Rosetta, and Juno, and the first Falcon 9 landings. I think I'll get to see a lot of really cool stuff in my lifetime, hopefully including a bright blue dot and a dim gray one in a blue sunset. :wink: 

Apollo 11 was thirty-something years before I was born. However, I watched the live broadcast of the New Horizons arrival at Pluto last year. That, and I've been really into the Curiosity, Dawn, Juno, Cassini, and Rosetta missions for several years. New Horizons was by far the most influential on me. I remember the cheering and excitement of the flyby like it was yesterday...

7 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

No, you haven't. You've got a whole century ahead of you, filled with important events (if your lucky...).

Not only that but, given the obvious facility with the English language and typing at the tender age of <1, he/she/it (might be an early sentient AI??) might well BE the important events of the next century.

Born 1962, my grandfather was an IBM engineer, and a mega-geek in his own way, and I remember watching all of the landing with him. In fact, that was the first time my grandparents let me eat in the living room so I didn't have to miss anything.

21 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I was -47 when the first moon landing happened.

I missed every single important world event ;.;.

Seriously? You saw the wall come down, didn't you? You saw the Pluto fly by... 9/11 .....

Not every world shattering event has to be world shattering... for example... the curiosity rover might be part of a bigger thing... you were there at the start, so you can tell your Grand kids all about how boring it was.... till it discovered life... :) Seriously... the mere fact that you were born is, in itself, an earth shattering event, for any number of reasons....

for all we know, you might make "first contact" one day on your way to Church..... or you could invent the warp drive..... :)

who knows... life itself, with all of us in it, is an earth shattering event.

never sell yourself short. :)

21 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I was -47 when the first moon landing happened.

I missed every single important world event ;.;.

Just know that for every one thing you miss, you'll experience a thousand things yourself that no one else ever will. :wink:

Just now, kiwi1960 said:

Seriously? You saw the wall come down, didn't you? You saw the Pluto fly by... 9/11 .....

Not every world shattering event has to be world shattering... for example... the curiosity rover might be part of a bigger thing... you were there at the start, so you can tell your Grand kids all about how boring it was.... till it discovered life... :) Seriously... the mere fact that you were born is, in itself, an earth shattering event, for any number of reasons....

for all we know, you might make "first contact" one day on your way to Church..... or you could invent the warp drive..... :)

who knows... life itself, with all of us in it, is an earth shattering event.

never sell yourself short. :)

1. No, I did not see the Berlin wall come down, and I was born right when 9/11 happened (like, right when the south tower was hit. Duuuuuuude...).

2. You know what? I agree with you. 30 years from now, people will treat the beginning of the 21st century as a huge part of space history- the aftermath of the space race. I didn't miss so much after all.

I can also tell my grandkids "when I was 5, I used cassete players" and "I lived through the rise and fall of CDs". Then I'll show them the walkman that I have now for some reason.

Edited by Matuchkin

2 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

1. No, I did not see the Berlin wall come down, and I was born right when 9/11 happened (like, right when the south tower was hit. Duuuuuuude...).

2. You know what? I agree with you. 30 years from now, people will treat the beginning of the 21st century as a huge part of space history- the aftermath of the space race. I didn't miss so much after all.

I can also tell my grandkids "when I was 5, I used cassete players" and "I lived through the rise and fall of CDs". Then I'll show them the walkman that I have now for some reason.

"Duuuuuude"....... << seriously, I hope that clears up, if not, get some ointment. :)

a "cassette" player is one thing, a CD is another (but I seriously doubt either will totally die off, used in answering machines and CD's are still in cars and for music)...

BUT.... show them an LP...... made of vinyl .... LOL

Or... I can show you part of an old HDD I owned.... lets see if I can find a photo of it on Google.... just to amaze you....

ibm_ramac_4.jpg.pagespeed.ce.cqmHav4UaW.

I hung them on the wall once the HDD died..... :)

Then again..... the first car I owned might amaze you....

ebay451597.jpg

The point is... YOU get to see the future.... never had cellphones when I was a kid, you do... so what will YOU be posting in 40 years time when having a similar discussion with a "youngster"????? Will you post a photo of your first car.... capable of 200MPH ....... when THEY are amazed there were cars that had wheels... because everyone in the future will have hover cars....

Yeah.... YOUR TIME WILL COME!!!!! :)

OMG this is pure brilliance.

I envy you getting to live well into this century Matuchkin. With everything that is being learned about the early solar system these days, we really are on the cusp of a watershed in human intellectual history that probably rivals the Darwinian, Freudian and Pasteurian revolutions of the 19th-early-20th century. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.