Kapollo Skylab

Angelo Kerman

I've been working on my version of the KR-1 "Boar" from Porkjet's design sheet, but took a break this evening to do some more MOLE KSP 1.2 testing. Now you'll need a connection back to kerbin in order to create experiments as originally planned. I also added some data transmitters to the station hub and solar observatory. Anyway, I did a Skylab launch with no other mods except my own (so no KER or MJ).

Vehicle designs (minus the life support, and a bit out of date. The Bigby Orbital Workshop holds 6):

vBUpTIK.png

j9VOdWc.png

Weuaif0.png

I managed to put the Skylab into orbit with fuel to spare:

SNCOkAu.png

The upper stage de-orbited shortly after separation. Unfortunately a launch accident involving the payload shroud ripped one of the solar panels from the observatory. Now I have to fly a Kapollo mission to fix the panels (well, pretend to...)

Bill, Bob, and Jeb head to Skylab via Kapollo-1:

JxFIhbd.png

Booster stage jettison:

gmixDHt.png

The vehicle is not without its problems and does a flip in mid-air. Fortunately Jeb does his thing and rights the ship. No abort needed. Soon Kapollo-1 jettisons its LES and attains orbit. After performing a plane change, Kapollo-1 dumps its booster stage:

rhUEBDj.png

There's room in the back for payloads, but for this short flight Kapollo doesn't have an Orbital Module.

Kapollo is on course to catch up with Skylab:

BnZlBAh.png
A few course correction burns later, Kapollo-1 is near the station:

nsjMzyW.png

Successful docking!

8ddR3x8.png

Not bad for no MJ autopilot flying, I've been practicing! :)

The crew is now aboard Skylab and busy assessing the damage:

2b6FK2W.png

At least Bill and Bob are, Jeb is taking a break:

bEXu8t3.png

Bill heads outside to assess the damage to the Solar Observatory:

mEVeXjn.png

Unfortunately, there's (still) no way to fix the damage:

JEK5Zfq.png

Undeterred, Bill heads back inside. Jeb then rolls Skylab to face the sun to test out the Solar Observatory, and Bob gets to work in the lab:

gI06UlF.png

Unfortunately, somebody forgot to pack experiments for the mission!

MVbDNEo.png

Luckily, there are enough ResearchKits aboard to manufacture some experiments, and the crew has a good connection to Kerbin, so Ground Control relays up directions on how to build experiments. Bob gets to work, and soon Skylab's crew has stuff to do (and I do some more bug fixing for MOLE 1.2...).

They'll be up there for quite some time...

Edited by Angel-125

My great uncle was a lead scientist on the team that built the Apollo Telescope Mount for Skylab. As a direct result of this, I have an american flag that flew in space (I'm Canadian, so unfortunately no effect on my patriotism), and signatures of all the Skylab Astronauts. Also, I would marry you angel. I love everything that you do.

Edited by Kosmonaut

3 hours ago, Kosmonaut said:

My great uncle was a lead scientist on the team that built the Apollo Telescope Mount for Skylab. As a direct result of this, I have an american flag that flew in space (I'm Canadian, so unfortunately no effect on my patriotism), and signatures of all the Skylab Astronauts. Also, I would marry you angel. I love everything that you do.

Sounds like a nice momento. :) And glad you like my mods. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.