Kerbal Space Program 1.2: Loud & Clear release date and more!

UomoCapra

8 hours ago, Scientia1423 said:

Why are people so serious about dlc, expansion packs when it hasn't even happened yet. Its just ideas that the dev team have thought about and there are probably other ideas to discuss about rather than dlc

Because if you make course corrections early, they're cheaper.

Edited by 0111narwhalz

7 hours ago, Kilhmar said:

As for paying for updates. This is actually very common in the software industry. Not for minor bug fixes, but for feature updates. So going from 1.1 to 1.1.3 should be free, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for SQUAD to charge you a small amount for 1.1.3 to 1.2 if it is a feature update (and it is).

I have to admit, that I would gladly pay a small amount even for the features in the 1.2 update. But future DLCs have to get some sort of theme to be interesting and need at least a few more parts to be worth the money.

2 hours ago, Nereid said:

I have to admit, that I would gladly pay a small amount even for the features in the 1.2 update. But future DLCs have to get some sort of theme to be interesting and need at least a few more parts to be worth the money.

I've been asking myself "What kind of DLC would i be willing to pay for?". Thinking about it, the only thing i really would be willing to pay for are tanktracks. Those added to the realism and fun. I wouldn't put it past Squad to release a track configurator by which the user can create his own tanktracks, just like he likes, comparable to for instance modular fueltanks/wings.

1 hour ago, TheCardinal said:

I've been asking myself "What kind of DLC would i be willing to pay for?". Thinking about it, the only thing i really would be willing to pay for are tanktracks. 

Well, there are quite a few kind of DLCs I would be willing to pay for: A DLC sepcialized on planes (more cockpits, engines, wings, landing gears, autopilot,...), or rovers (which may include tracks), or resource DLCs, landers, or better IVA, ...

Edited by Nereid

I see no issues with paid DLCs.

If one is offered that I want for a price I'm willing to pay they I'd buy it.

If not I'd just ignore it.

And for the issues with free mods getting adapted to require a paid DLC you just have to look at the immense archives of CivX and SimCityX free mods (not to mention MS Flight/FSX or X-Plane).

All neatly sorted and selectable on what DLC/Expansion packs (paid or not) that is required.

On 04/10/2016 at 10:35 PM, UomoCapra said:

We have amazing news for you, Kerbonauts!!

Kerbal Space Program 1.2: Loud & Clear is ready! We’re polishing the final details of this update and we’ll be releasing it next Tuesday, October, 11th. We’re preparing a big event for its release and we urge to stay tuned for more details. It will be amazing!

This is by far the best update we’ve  developed and you, the community, have been an essential part of it. We can’t thank you enough for helping us with your feedback, your bug hunting and, of course, your support. You are the real heroes of Kerbal Space Program!

We also want to thank our fantastic team of professionals, whose hard work, dedication and passion made this possible!

But this is not all! Here at Squad we’re looking into the future and we have great and ambitious plans for the KSP franchise and even more!

If you’ve been following us closely, you must be aware that we’re growing and we’ve been looking for talent and great collaborators that help us build the next milestone of this franchise. New talents have enrolled in the past few months and they are just as excited as we are. Bringing new talents is allowing us to bring fresh ideas to the plate and we can’t be more excited for what’s coming

There’s an important amount of new content, besides this new update, that we’re currently working on. This includes more free updates, full expansion packs with an incredible amount of new content and much more!

We’re also experimenting with new technologies and platforms to expand the KSP experience towards new horizons.

Furthermore we want to participate in more industry events, because we want to have a closer relationship with our fans. We’ve already participated in Gamescon, Tokyo Game Show and Twitchcon and we’ve met amazing people who have given us lots of insight and ideas. We’re hearing you and we’ll not disappoint you!

We’re are very proud to help foster STEM awareness, education and even (and hopefully) encourage some young talents to pursuit a career in these areas. In Squad we firmly believe that the future of humankind, just like with the kerbalkind, lies in the stars!

We’ll be given more details in future post, so stay tuned and spread the word!

Thank you and happy launchings!

The KSP Dev Team

i really would love to see vr support ... for that day is the day i buy a vr headset

as for dlcs paid or unpaid im down with that

new galaxies, planets, complete rocket packs (famous probes and rockets)the abilitie to change parts colour so i can have a more unified look hell yeah.

get them rolling boys ive a credit card waiting to be maxed out !!!

Edited by tillyd

2 hours ago, tillyd said:

i really would love to see vr support ... for that day is the day i buy a vr headset

as for dlcs paid or unpaid im down with that

new galaxies, planets, complete rocket packs (famous probes and rockets)the abilitie to change parts colour so i can have a more unified look hell yeah.

get them rolling boys ive a credit card waiting to be maxed out !!!

Maybe in 6 months time. :) 

Also release is tomorrow.

2 hours ago, tillyd said:

Let's see...

New planets: Kopernicus. New galaxies are quite out of scale.

Complete rocket packs: Dozens of mods out there for this.

Ability to change parts' color: Kerbpaint. It's fixed for 1.1.3, and I'm sure it'll get an update.

All these things and more can be done with mods. Why would you pay for SQUAD's GP2 when you can just install a mod to give you three?

My *problem* with DLC or expansion packs comes when it is made on a clear fashion as to milk players for money while having little to no value or, even worse, when it is released to an yet unfinished or ill developed product, *which aren't the case here*. Squad has always showed a lot of respect to the it's community and I have no reason to believe that this will change. If DLC is the way to support the continue development of the game, so be it.

53 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Why would you pay for SQUAD's GP2 when you can just install a mod to give you three?

That is for each player to decide. Integrated content will always work smoother than mods, functionality might be different, GUI might be better... Dunno. Lots and lots of reasons might come into play. As long as SQUAD doesn't hinder player's ability to choose what he likes best, there's not a single problem in offering extra payed content. Game development isn't cheap. Hell, even from the perspective of directly affecting players ability to choose between mods and DLCs, while completely unethical and moronesque - EA fashion -, one could reasonably argue that it is *their* product and they do *as they please* with it, specially if there's no competition to it at all (pls don do dat Squad).

2 hours ago, BadLeo said:

That is for each player to decide. Integrated content will always work smoother than mods, functionality might be different, GUI might be better... Dunno. Lots and lots of reasons might come into play. As long as SQUAD doesn't hinder player's ability to choose what he likes best, there's not a single problem in offering extra payed content. Game development isn't cheap. Hell, even from the perspective of directly affecting players ability to choose between mods and DLCs, while completely unethical and moronesque - EA fashion -, one could reasonably argue that it is *their* product and they do *as they please* with it, specially if there's no competition to it at all (pls don do dat Squad).

See: Asteroid Day

--EDIT--

So, why pay money for something that mods have done not only better but done hundreds of times over? And if the DLC isn't paid, then there is no point in making it DLC. There's a reason there was a whole thread about "Make Asteroid Day Stock" because having it as a free mod was silly. Paid DLCs and free mods are at odds if they do the same things, so you really have to make a decision as to whether quick money or your community means more to you as a company.

Edited by Andem

3 hours ago, Wildcat111 said:

1 day left!

Also @UomoCapra can you get 1.1.3 after 1.2 has been released. If so, where can you get it?

Make a backup. I've been doing so since .18 days.

Unfortunately, my hard drive died on me a few months back and I didn't yet have the ability to have a backup drive...so I've since lost all my legacy versions of KSP.

But by and large, the easiest way to save your versions is...to save your versions.

Just now, Wildcat111 said:

How?

Just copy the entire Kerbal Space Program folder onto your desktop. Then when the game updates, you'll have 1.1.3 accessible through the folder on the desktop and you'll have 1.2 accessible through whatever you were using before.

1 hour ago, Andem said:

you really have to make a decision as to whether quick money or your community means more to you as a company

I'm sorry but, out of context, this seems unreasonable. Community love alone doesn't pay the bills and, in a world where company value is also affected by said company's ability to transmutate community support into profit, DLCs are an integral part of product design. See: Paradox Interactive.

I'm not saying that DLCs are the *ideal* model. I'm saying that, if they are reasonably priced and have worthy content - sure, that would be for each single consumer to judge by themselves - they are a valid strategy to maintain the company in their effort to keep developing the game further. Even more: I doubt Squad would do anything to harm the lovely community it has, it's main asset.

Now, if you ask me what is the *ideal* model to profit from KSP, I would say: bring it to new medias and use intertextuality. Movies, animated series and things like that could sustain the company and make further development not only possible, but a virtual necessity. But that's only my opinion...

Just now, BadLeo said:

I'm sorry but, out of context, this seems unreasonable. Community love alone doesn't pay the bills and, in a world where company value is also affected by said company's ability to transmutate community support into profit,

Well, maybe because context matters, as does common sense. If you let your community die, you lose the people who write good reviews, you lose what is effectively free marketing, you lose the people who are contributing to the bugtracker, you lose the people who try to maintain the wiki. Having a strong community generates sales. Making a community happy will make you sales for far longer than trying to suck them dry.

8 minutes ago, BadLeo said:

See: Paradox Interactive.

Bad example, because this is the first thing that pops up on a google search.

13 minutes ago, BadLeo said:

I'm not saying that DLCs are the *ideal* model. I'm saying that, if they are reasonably priced and have worthy content - sure, that would be for each single consumer to judge by themselves - they are a valid strategy to maintain the company in their effort to keep developing the game further. Even more: I doubt Squad would do anything to harm the lovely community it has, it's main asset.

That isn't the point. The point is that DLCs have no place in KSP. You can't have a vibrant modding community like we have now AND dlc. ne will have to kill the other in order to stay relevant, and making something free suddenly cost money is just shooting oneself in the foot here. They are a detrimental model in the context of KSP. Your monetization model is something that should be discussed and long decided before the game even has a playable version. Sure, some changes should be made to keep your game from dying if it still needs to make revenue, but KSP is most definitely not dead, and Squad is most certainly not losing money by continuing to sell it as is.

28 minutes ago, BadLeo said:

Now, if you ask me what is the *ideal* model to profit from KSP, I would say: bring it to new medias and use intertextuality. Movies, animated series and things like that could sustain the company and make further development not only possible, but a virtual necessity. But that's only my opinion...

A more effective option for Squad at this point would be to invest time in other projects. They're currently a one-hit wonder, and that isn't sustainable no matter how much money you pump into a product or try to suck out of one.

18 minutes ago, Andem said:

If you let your community die, you lose the people who write good reviews, you lose what is effectively free marketing, you lose the people who are contributing to the bugtracker, you lose the people who try to maintain the wiki. Having a strong community generates sales. Making a community happy will make you sales for far longer than trying to suck them dry.

And a combination of free updates (and esp bugfixes), paid expansions/DLC and free mods has proven to work for many companies and communities.

The only thing that really kills a community is then the IP owner decides to go legal all over their own community.

4 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

And a combination of free updates (and esp bugfixes), paid expansions/DLC and free mods has proven to work for many companies and communities.

The only thing that really kills a community is then the IP owner decides to go legal all over their own community.

29 minutes ago, Andem said:

That isn't the point. The point is that DLCs have no place in KSP. You can't have a vibrant modding community like we have now AND dlc. One will have to kill the other in order to stay relevant, and making something free suddenly cost money is just shooting oneself in the foot here. They are a detrimental model in the context of KSP. Your monetization model is something that should be discussed and long decided before the game even has a playable version. Sure, some changes should be made to keep your game from dying if it still needs to make revenue, but KSP is most definitely not dead, and Squad is most certainly not losing money by continuing to sell it as is.

The part in bold is why it works for them. They knew exactly what type of game they were building and they knew exactly how they were going to monetize it.

TL;DR: If it ain't broke don't fix it.

35 minutes ago, Andem said:

Your monetization model is something that should be discussed and long decided before the game even has a playable version.

They didn't know what 'monetization model' meant before having a playable version.

I'm not sure that they even know now :/

Adding the option of a paid expansion that user can chose pay for or ignore will not have any effect what so ever on the community.

20 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Adding the option of a paid expansion that user can chose pay for or ignore will not have any effect what so ever on the community.

What if they add a new planet, and the only way to get it is if you pay $15 USD. You really want to get that new planet, but are stripped of cash and can't get it. Every other person can, and are having the time of their life on that planet, finding terrain and easter eggs. You see everyone having fun, but you can't. Sure, the majority has it, but what about that one person? Is the commuinity truly 100% happy? Is there no effect even if it's just one person?