Low Mass Duna Challenge

On 10/15/2016 at 8:02 PM, Der Anfang said:

Are resubmissions accepted?

They are but both will be counted if they both comply with the rules, speaking of submissions I am reviewing yours now. :D

On 10/15/2016 at 7:46 PM, maccollo said:

You need the version that's in the master zip file on github. There's a folder in it called output, and in there you will have a version that works with 1.2.

I cannot find the master file, could you please post the link? Thanks.

https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/WhippyNerv-II

Ok,  I finally got round to flying the mission and uploading the footage.  Need to find some better editing SW because it took ages.

21.35 Tons is the launch weight according to KerbalX,  so rather porky for a spaceplane entry.   Though probably also a bit more robust and comfortable than some offerings.

PS.  My flying is awful, I know.         I think the launch to orbit was good but the rest a litany of errors.   At least nobody died.

PPS.  I'm already working on an improved version

• better CoG when fuel empty (the version shown is marginally unstable)
  • wing dihedral for roll stability
  • adjust gear for nose up stance on ground.  stops the rear legs striking first when making a flared landing and setting up a tumble motion
  • vernier lift engines for lower landing speeds/landing on minmus flats
  • RTG instead of solar panel
  • service bay to keep stuff out of the wind, and also store extra snacks
  • inline clamp o tron because you never know

I suppose I should also work on an "ultra" version with a RAPIER as the disposable jet.   The Whiplash was used purely because it's cheap enough to throw away.

Here's a bantamweight entry called Some Assembly Required, coming in at 4.992 tons.

It's a similar approach to previous posters, using an air breathing 1st stage and a ion transfer stage. To save dV, aerobraking was used at both Duna and Kerbin to capture.

The Duna lander was minimal, consisting of just a toroidal tank, a pair of spiders and a command seat. The toroidal tank inadvertently made an excellent wheel, so the landing was quite entertaining.

AZvlZPr.png

They see me rollin', they hatin'

The entire mission video is linked below, if you'd prefer to skip to certain parts here's a rough table of contents:

• Duna capture 5:10
  • Lander separation and craft re-assembly 7:10
  • Duna landing and return to orbit 10:00
  • Kerbin re-entry 22:10

5 hours ago, ManEatingApe said:

Here's a bantamweight entry called Some Assembly Required, coming in at 4.992 tons.

It's a similar approach to previous posters, using an air breathing 1st stage and a ion transfer stage. To save dV, aerobraking was used at both Duna and Kerbin to capture.

The Duna lander was minimal, consisting of just a toroidal tank, a pair of spiders and a command seat. The toroidal tank inadvertently made an excellent wheel, so the landing was quite entertaining.

AZvlZPr.png

That was amazing to watch.

One of the amazing bit for me was that I actually followed what you were doing.

I guess I did learn some but I still have a fair bit to go to get to that level.

Bravo!

ME

20 hours ago, ManEatingApe said:

AZvlZPr.png

The entire mission video is linked below, if you'd prefer to skip to certain parts here's a rough table of contents:

• Duna capture 5:10
  • Lander separation and craft re-assembly 7:10
  • Duna landing and return to orbit 10:00
  • Kerbin re-entry 22:10

Excellent work, a truly Kerbal mission if I may say so myself.

5 hours ago, tseitsei89 said:

http://imgur.com/a/5464d 4.609t mission.

Excellent! Nice work on the tiny lander - unless Squad make some new parts I think that's as small as we can go.

Also truly a no-frills mission, making your Kerbal jump for it not one but twice, makes traveling on low cost airlines seem like luxury :)

Edited by ManEatingApe

6 hours ago, ManEatingApe said:

Excellent! Nice work on the tiny lander - unless Squad make some new parts I think that's as small as we can go.

Also truly a no-frills mission, making your Kerbal jump for it not one but twice, makes traveling on low cost airlines seem like luxury :)

Yeah screenshots seem to be in an interesting order I apologize...

But yeah that was the best I could do after a long series of iterations. If somebody can beat that I'll probably try some more though...

Less xenon can be used and maybe less mass to kerbin orbit but I think that the duna lander is quite optimal already :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.