Multiple munar lowlands

mikerl

Has anyone else noticed this?  Today i updated x science, and started checking to see which places i needed to revisit, during a flight to the southern ice shelf.  It listed 4 different lowlands on the mun.  Back at ksc, my science archives also had four different lowlands in the biome filter.  I thought it was just my save, but, the wiki page for the mun has Lowlands (4x). Does this mean there really are four different lowland areas on the mun?, I haven't been there yet, but how would we know the difference between them?

There may be 4x lowlands but they're all the same as far as science farming goes. Be concerned with the different biomes, Each one of the same names yield the same amount of science to be farmed

In other words; Get science from lowlands #1, X amount of science, Lowlands#2, less science. Two visits to the same biome more or less kind of fishes it out.

That wold be exactly how it works for something like highland craters.  It would be listed under the same entry, no matter which crater it was taken from. But there are 4 entries for lowlands in the archives.  On Minmus, for example, if I select flats, Flats, Great Flats, Greater Flats, and Lesser Flats are all shown yet each have their own independent Science value.  That is, a surface sample taken from Great Flats, shows up but I still need one from Flats which is a separate biome.

I'm not saying that each location is a different biome, in fact that is how Highland Craters works.  I'm saying there are four different biomes all given the name Lowlands.

On 2016-10-16 at 4:34 AM, mikerl said:

That wold be exactly how it works for something like highland craters.  It would be listed under the same entry, no matter which crater it was taken from. But there are 4 entries for lowlands in the archives.  On Minmus, for example, if I select flats, Flats, Great Flats, Greater Flats, and Lesser Flats are all shown yet each have their own independent Science value.  That is, a surface sample taken from Great Flats, shows up but I still need one from Flats which is a separate biome.

I'm not saying that each location is a different biome, in fact that is how Highland Craters works.  I'm saying there are four different biomes all given the name Lowlands.

isn't is rather that the same biome can appear on several places.

But all with exactly the same name counts as one biome when it's comes to science.

8 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

But all with exactly the same name counts as one biome when it's comes to science.

Well that's how I always interpreted the way it works.

7 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Well that's how I always interpreted the way it works.

that was my understanding too...Science from ANY Highland Crater gives you credit for all Highland Craters. Visiting a second Highland Crater would yield no additional science. I just wanted to confirm that hadn't changed with @RoverDude's biome changes

By the way, the update Biome maps are so much cleaner. Thanks RD!

yes science taken from any highland crater will count as the same biome, and there will be only one entry in the science archives for it.  The Mun Lowlands have four category entries in the biome selection box.  I flew a mission there today, and found that the science gathered from one lowlands area does indeed show up under all four entries with one gather.  The multiple entries confused me into thinking there might be four different biomes with the same name.  I'm glad it's just an error in the science archives showing duplicate biome categories for lowlands.  Since I run a mod game perhaps someone else can try to land in lowlands, gather science and confirm the duplicate entries in the science building.

5 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Yes you have midland craters all over and its one biome, same as mountain is one biome all over.

The other effect is that Minmus flats also list results from great, greater and lesser flat since the report use an text filter not an biome id. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.