Cut scenes in career mode

I think it would be a brilliant idea for KSP if cut scenes were implemented into career mode, if you go onto the official KSP YouTube page there you will see a good few short cinemtatic animations in KSP.

How this would work for example if the player accepts a contact to land on the mun then a short cut scene is played where the boss of KSP is planning to go to the mun.

Then once the player has completed that goal then another cut scene is played where the boss congratulates you and then asks you to go to duna ect... 

I think this would enhance the player more into the game and give the game that extra immersion. Thanks for reading! :D

This has been requested before, and my response will be the same...

This would be incredibly annoying.  We don't need stuff added to the game that would just force us to click through it to get rid of it as fast as possible each time we play.

Actually, I could see 2 places where this might be OK.  1 rocket roll out, Spacebar to skip.  2 vessel recovery, where you get credit for said accomplishments.  

Even then they need to be short, and I think I'd point the producer of such screens to old for games like F-15 Strike Eagle where they have very short animations for career events.  So we aren't talking (IMO) long mini movies.

This could make some sense if there was a sort of story mode that was implemented.  Without a (mostly) set series of progression, cutscenes would be hard to implement in a way that didn't involve each player's continuity.

1 minute ago, tg626 said:

Actually, I could see 2 places where this might be OK.  1 rocket roll out, Spacebar to skip.  2 vessel recovery, where you get credit for said accomplishments.

1. I've thought about this before.  If the scene were to not show the rocket, it would be pretty simple.  Show the VAB doors opening, and a scene of Kerbals watching the bottom (treads, mobile launch platform, etc.) rolling out, maybe even a few options of Kerbals shaking their heads/giving a thumbs up/looking between the (unseen) rocket and a clipboard with an uncertain look (base this off the engineer's report?).  That avoids the problems of rendering whatever the player built, since it's so variable.

2. A generic recovery scene that didn't show the returned vehicle might work.  Maybe a few different versions (carrier, truck, tracked vehicle, etc.) based on terrain type and crew size might be needed, though.

Edited by razark

I'm not a fan of cut scenes, they seem a waste of resources both to create originally and to use in game when once seen a couple of times you just want to skip them anyway.

However, if say a short scene of a craft being wheeled out towards the pad could be played whilst waiting for the game to load to the launchpad scene etc, that cut out as soon as the scene is ready to go, then it would be better than looking at a black screen with the little orbit display going round for what seems like too long at times.

6 hours ago, razark said:

1. I've thought about this before.  If the scene were to not show the rocket, it would be pretty simple.  Show the VAB doors opening, and a scene of Kerbals watching the bottom (treads, mobile launch platform, etc.) rolling out, maybe even a few options of Kerbals shaking their heads/giving a thumbs up/looking between the (unseen) rocket and a clipboard with an uncertain look (base this off the engineer's report?).  That avoids the problems of rendering whatever the player built, since it's so variable.

2. A generic recovery scene that didn't show the returned vehicle might work.  Maybe a few different versions (carrier, truck, tracked vehicle, etc.) based on terrain type and crew size might be needed, though.

I like this idea. You would need a couple of versions of the 'launch' cut scene too though, to at least somewhat reflect your technological progress. A big Apollo style mobile launch platform would look rather ridiculous with a tiny Flea+capsule rocket perched on top of it. Much like Science mode always looks faintly ridiculous to start with, when you're launching suborbital bottle rockets from a massive state-of-the-art Space Centre.

I'd be generally in favour of short cut-scenes, in the same way that I like the wonder building cut scenes in the Civilization games. Do I watch them every game? No. But neither do I automatically click through them every time. It depends what mood I'm in.

To my mind cut scenes would add some badly needed polish to KSP although there are other things that could be prioritized first. The much ballyhooed rocket part overhaul for one. Contract descriptions that aren't an indecipherable mess for a second. Coherent flavour text for the tech tree nodes for a third. At the moment we get a mishmash of lolkerbal text, fairly serious text (see the Kerbodyne rocket engines for example) and frankly stupid text (even for a lighthearted game). Shy fuel tanks that explode when teased? Sensors powered by black magic? Seriously?

I'm going to recommend listening to Yathzee's  advice on cutscenes... whatever that may be. The site is blocked at this computer.

My stand:
For major milestone completion there should be a cut scene. The cool factor would be a cut scene involving the ship that did it. But that might be a bit... interesting to try and assemble effectively.

As for if they should play automatically... maybe. Perhaps an option in the settings. But a message should be displayed at the recovery that a cut scene is available. The list of available cut scenes for replay kept in Mission Control. 

I wouldn't be overly upset if there were a handful of cut-scenes for major milestones. Landing on a new body for the first time, for example.

If there were a (10 second?!) cut-scene every time I launched a rocket, I'd yank it out before even seeing it once.

Yes, i was trying to get at the fact only cut scenes will only be played on special occasions like for example what Jovus said about landing on a new planet for the first time ect,

And also, When you're waiting for the rocket to load up, A little cut scene would be played like them hauling the rocket out instead of looking at a black screen.

Edited by Matah

I agree with storymode idea. Storypack DLC's with exclusive parts and content. <3 Would pay for those (But don't make it like Minecraft: story mode, please :D)

7 hours ago, Veeltch said:

I don't think cutscenes are necessary. And besides, the shorts where made by danRosas. He's no longer working for SQUAD.

I think that is irrelevant unless 1.2 update video was made *that* long time ago...

Please do not do this ... Personally I don't want to watch cutscenes nor do I believe that the devs should waste their time making them just so that the majority of KSP players will bypass the playing of them

Lots of work for little benefit ... In my opinion Squads' time and money should be used to improve the game, not to add window dressing

Oh, I'd love an option for a "rollout" scene--VAB doors open, lights flash, a phalanx of ground crew waves their batons--and a rocket rolls out toward the pad. YOUR rocket! The camera pans, he music swells... epic if it's a huge three-stager bound for other worlds--and hilariously Kerbal if it's a just a command chair bolted to a Flea. :) 

On 10/23/2016 at 3:40 PM, Matah said:

Then once the player has completed that goal then another cut scene is played where the boss congratulates you and then asks you to go to duna ect...

And this is a good example of why cut scenes would be difficult to implement in this game...nothing says you HAVE to land on Mun first, then go to Duna after that.  It would be entirely possible to land on Duna first or even Eve(good luck returning from that one, but you could at least get there.)

If cutscenes were to be implemented, I'd suggest to do it like the Total War games do. Or, at least Medieval II Total War mostly does it this way:

Most cutscenes are not played automatically, but a clickable box (like a letter) appears on the side of the screen. When its window is opened, it displays a message in text, as well as a little video snippet. Don't like the cutscene, just close the window.

For KSP, this would be the "milestone message" box. You open it and find the obligatory congratulations, as well as a short video. Those messages could be skipped, ignored, deleted or whatever, and the video stored for posterity at the appropriate facility.

Just as long as the cutscenes weren't shoved in our faces, I think most people would tolerate them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.