Fix how things are oriented by default in cargo bays

This always gives me a twitch of annoyance- you put a cargo bay on your sweet ride in the VAB, open the doors and start filling it- everything wants to be attached to the outside, so you do the old guess which rotation keys are the right one to get your goo, battery, etc. inside the bay. And repeat with the next item. Fixing this would be a nice bit of polish.

Perhaps I'm not reading it right but doesn't holding down alt solve this problem? I usually attach small craft inside the cargo bay with a docking port (say on the back of a mk3 shuttle cabin) and then by holding down alt I can get the small craft in question (with a docking port up front) to connect to the rear facing port in the cargo bay

6 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

which rotation keys are the right one

Haha yes, the ultimate gamble. most of the time when I want things attached in my cargo may. I attach them in the, yeah I don't know how the mode is called, but that thingy what happens when you press 'C'. It's Toggle Angle Snap in the key bindings. This way I you don't have to press your WASD key several times till you found the right key to rotate. And indeed, as @fireblade274 mentioned, when I have to attach something to a node, I press 'Alt'. 

On 11/1/2016 at 1:07 PM, Azimech said:

I'd rather have some more important bugs fixed (like resource flow of the claw) before spit-polishing such details.

What's going wrong with the resource flow of the claw? Is it that it exists? If so I think that's not so much a bug as a very unrealistic feature. I must admit I still use it though. :P

Edit: @Azimech check your pm :)

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

1 minute ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

What's going wrong with the resource flow of the claw? Is it that it exists? If so I think that's not so much a bug as a very unrealistic feature.

It has worked for years (as far as I remember right away when it was released) and was a very convenient way of filling up tanks of vessels using tank trucks. In my case: not having to place 100 docking ports on the decks of my aircraft carrier is also very convenient.

How often do you need to surface-attach things to the insides of cargo bay walls though anyway? I mean, the KSP community is incredibly creative as a whole, so presumably you've found a use that I'm not thinking of... Although I thought that generally the idea of cargo bays is to keep the internal space free of obstruction as much as possible in order to fit a variety of potential payloads.

3 hours ago, Azimech said:

It has worked for years (as far as I remember right away when it was released) and was a very convenient way of filling up tanks of vessels using tank trucks. In my case: not having to place 100 docking ports on the decks of my aircraft carrier is also very convenient.

But what's the bug? I haven't noticed anything remotely buggy since they fixed its planet-destroying tendencies.

On topic: 

1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

How often do you need to surface-attach things to the insides of cargo bay walls though anyway? I mean, the KSP community is incredibly creative as a whole, so presumably you've found a use that I'm not thinking of... Although I thought that generally the idea of cargo bays is to keep the internal space free of obstruction as much as possible in order to fit a variety of potential payloads.

I often attach antennas, batteries, and other doodads to the inside of cargo bays. I've also seen people attach mining equipment so the doors open on the bottom and the drill down into the ground. But I never use angle snap for these purposes, and see no reason to, so it works fine.

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I often attach antennas, batteries, and other doodads to the inside of cargo bays. I've also seen people attach mining equipment so the doors open on the bottom and the drill down into the ground. But I never use angle snap for these purposes, and see no reason to, so it works fine.

Generally though, most things that I've seen attached inside of cargo bays are attached at each end. Docking ports, monopropellant tanks, drills and ore tanks, etc. I'm sure there are other uses but I suppose my aesthetic doesn't lend itself to them.

3 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Generally though, most things that I've seen attached inside of cargo bays are attached at each end. Docking ports, monopropellant tanks, drills and ore tanks, etc. I'm sure there are other uses but I suppose my aesthetic doesn't lend itself to them.

I forgot to mention I sometimes attach auxiliary fuel tanks inside the cargo bay of some of my planes when I want them to go farther. Since these usually need to be near the COM and I don't want to block rovers from driving out, these usually end up attached to the sides near the ceiling. You are right though, stuff usually gets attached at the ends.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.