How many did you accidently land by an moon arch?

Program Kerbal Space

First time I saw one was in 0.24? Sow a ring thing while I was decending. Asked in a chat room. Was told it was an arch. Then sent a rover to where I did the Mun Landing. Then decided either that save or the next. To Kreate Disneyland there.. Never did get the chance as the updates kept happening at a fast pace then and restarted with each new version....

I think I landed near-ish to one back in 0.90. I believe it was during my first attempt to land on the Mun... With an SSTO spaceplane no less. (Heavily modded game install.)

I didn't land next to it or anything that close, but I do recall roving in the spaceplane in an attempt to get closer. (It was using the motorized B9 landing gear; was trying to save fuel for the return.) I think I saw something during the descent. I do definitely remember getting out on EVA to try and plant a flag on top of it once I was close enough.

... Wait... I think I was just roving around and came across it (i.e. saw it in the distance/horizon)... Not really sure. I definitely wasn't trying to land near one though.

Stumbled over one some evening ago.

Had two gawkers that wanted to land on the Mun, so I put them in a lander and plunked them down without really bothering on where (didn't need any more science).

And just I landed I noticed an arch some klicks north of the random landing spot.

Kind of typical that it was a robo-lander with no professional crew on board so I could EVA and pose :(

9 hours ago, Aragosnat said:

To Kreate Disneyland there.

You mean: To create Kisneyland there. :wink:

I landed in a crater one time before I began using SCANsat, and it wasn't until after leaving that I saw an arch up top of the crater rim. Imagine my disappointment. lol

The very first time I landed on Mun, happened to be very close to one of those arches. I was a real noob with KSP at the time, knew nothing about them or other peculiar places, not to mention Easter Eggs. Left the place, but didn't care to put coordinates down. Few days later I learned what it was, sent a few missions to try and land again in the same place but didn't succeed. Took me to gain a lot more experience and dedication with the game to find those things again.

24 minutes ago, diomedea said:

The very first time I landed on Mun, happened to be very close to one of those arches. I was a real noob with KSP at the time, knew nothing about them or other peculiar places, not to mention Easter Eggs. Left the place, but didn't care to put coordinates down. Few days later I learned what it was, sent a few missions to try and land again in the same place but didn't succeed. Took me to gain a lot more experience and dedication with the game to find those things again.

Had similar experiences, as a consequence I always plonk a flag down where ever I land (if not on Kerbin or it's totally routine, and there's a flag plonking able crew member on board ...).

I guess i'll tell my story. When I was trying to land on the Mun I saw something in the distance till I saw what it was. I tried using my remaining fuel to get closer, because I was far away then my engine blew up so I took out Jeb to explore but when i was getting there he flew into the ground and died... Maybe EVApropellant is bad for a kerbal...

Edited by Program Kerbal Space

• 2 weeks later...

I keep unintentionally landing within sight of the one up in the east crater northern rim. It's pretty flat in the crater itself at that point so a good early career landing site.

Though this latest career see half my moon-base nearby just disappear when I came to deliver a new module.

Such disappointment!

• 2 weeks later...

I passed the only one I have ever seen at about 4-5km altitude (2km above ground) while coming in for a landing once.  I was attempting intentional lithobraking so I was probably 20-30km away by the time I landed.  Managed a Mun landing with only 460 dv (was not worth the effort, extra equiptment or risk)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.