What do YOU call Jool's innermost moon--you know, the one with the ocean?

Mister Dilsby

Kerbfleet: A Joolian Pronunciation Guide  

261 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "Laythe"?

• Lay-Thee (same as two words from an Emily Dickinson poem)--like Val
    • Lathe (one syllable, same as the tool)--like Dilsby
    • Lay-thuh (possibly with a bit of a twang)--like Melbe
    • La thé (a nice hot beverage, served avec lait, perhaps?)--like Clauselle
    • Лайтэ (...um, I don't know how to read this properly, but I suppose this one would be)--like Nimzo
    • Something else--please explain in Comments!
  2. 2. Okay, how about "Vall"?

• Val (short, like the first syllable in 'Valentina')
    • Vall (rhymes with 'hall')
    • Something else--please explain in Comments!
  3. 3. Hmmm... "Pol"?

• Like the first syllable of "pollen"
    • Like the first syllable of "Poland"

6 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

"See-Aitch-Four"

I can't even think of transcribing something this way. How difficult it is to ensure it gets read properly

I mean, many languages have cases when different letter combinations may give similar sounding (so there may be problems spelling an unfamiliar word, especially if the sound is distorted), but there usually is some basic rules on how to read a letter combination - so that the word is usually almost fully recognizable when read in the most straightforward ways. No guarantee the same spelling will sound the same way when you read English.
Let alone the habit of preserving both spelling and pronunciation of foreign words - come on, you just can't link those without knowing the rules for the source language!
On the other hand, the way Latin (or based on it) words are treated in English

25 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I've heard professionals say both meh-thane and mee-thane.

yeah, and yet it's the second syllable that is much more different from the way it's pronounced in many other languages

I can't say as I've ever had an opportunity to pronounce any of these words out loud. Thinking about it, "Laythe" comes out as one syllable, but the 'e' is silent and you land hard on the 'h'. Like "thistle" without the "istle". 

"Vall" seems to have gone into my brain sideways-- when I look at it, I see "ball" with a V, but when I try to think about how to say it, it comes out as Vail. (Sounds like veil)

39 minutes ago, Ten Key said:

Thinking about it, "Laythe" comes out as one syllable, but the 'e' is silent and you land hard on the 'h'. Like "thistle" without the "istle". 

Same here. Rhymes with May (the month) and ends with the same soft th as "Theo." Vall is Val(entina), and Pol is Pol(and).

Hmmmm...do accents have anything to do with this? I'm from central California. Where's everyone else from?

Just now, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

I call that SEC-speak.

Nope. I think I may have put a little too much emphasis on some of that slurring, because I'm not from the Securities and Exchange Commission.

There are two words I could use to give away where exactly I'm from, but I'm not gonna do that.

And anyway, I still haven't remembered how to pronounce Laythe.

I'll go easier way than explaining it.

https://translate.google.pl/?hl=pl#pl/en/layth go and hear it ( not in English of course). If it happen to sound a bit too long, try again, it's short ay to me.

On the other hand, https://translate.google.pl/?hl=pl#pl/en/vall should sound long.

Pol is pol.

However, I've also heard different approaches to spelling Gilly (per G like g... gif (heh) by Scott Manley, or G like giraffe (I prefer the latter)) and Jool (like iool or jool).

Edited by The Aziz

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

And anyway, I still haven't remembered how to pronounce Laythe.

It's pronounced "lay-they/lay-thay".

On my own end, I initially pronounced it "lathe", but at some uncertain point in the past, I started inserting that 'y' in the middle, and ending with another y-ish sound. I'm sure I'd find this fascinating were I a linguist.

14 hours ago, Just Jim said:

IDK why, but I've always pronounced Laythe with the first and second syllable rhyming: Lay-thay

Could be awkward when singing sea-shanties with a lisp.

'Farewell and adieu to you fair Laytheian laythays.'
'Farewell and adieu to you laythays of Laythe'
'For we're under orders for to sail to Old Kerbin.'
'And we may ne'er see you fair laythays again.'

:)

11 minutes ago, KSK said:

Could be awkward when singing sea-shanties with a lisp.

'Farewell and adieu to you fair Laytheian laythays.'
'Farewell and adieu to you laythays of Laythe'
'For we're under orders for to sail to Old Kerbin.'
'And we may ne'er see you fair laythays again.'

:)

Now try it with Jool, right, @Kuzzter? :wink:

I think I know why I don't have a pronunciation for those places- I haven't been there yet! But don't worry, when I do, I'll give them names like the European explorers did- New Kerbin, New Moon, New Minmus, New Minmus II, New Minmus III, New Kerbin II. (Try and guess that each one is!)

As I'm a Portuguese speaker:

Laythe => same kind of pronounciation as "Milk" in portuguese ("Leite", ou "Lay-Thee").
Vall => "Vóu" ou "Váu".
Pol => probably pronounced same way as last Teletubies' name, "Po". ahahhahaha

Squad is spanish speaker. Spanish and Portuguese have common kinship, so their pronounciation have a lot of similarities.

Edited by diegojsrw
Added language kinship.

12 hours ago, Ten Key said:

I can't say as I've ever had an opportunity to pronounce any of these words out loud. Thinking about it, "Laythe" comes out as one syllable, but the 'e' is silent and you land hard on the 'h'. Like "thistle" without the "istle".

Same. Laythe rhymes with wraith for me.

Vall rhymes with hall, and Pol's pronounced Paul.

Granted, any of these pronunciations are subject to change if I'm not paying attention. I'd have to be regularly using them in speech for them to cement themselves.

55 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

I don't know anymore.

I thought I knew.

After reading all this and trying to sound things out I find I am incapable of READING them without a pause and a re-read:confused:.

ME

Yes - I never knew quite how many ways there were of pronouncing such apparently short and simple words. Really interesting thread!

I like to call Laythe "A moon similar to Kevin in its atmospheric composition and water quantities, which does not seem to host life and has seemingly low temperatures while having enormous amounts of salt in its atmosphere, sea and soil which has a somewhat low orbit around the gas giant we call Jool, which is in a high orbit around Kerbol, a star that is the center of the Kerbol Star System."

It's elegant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.