Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

1 hour ago, liveinaboxkerbal said:

I may have missed this but how are we supposed to keep track of our stage time?

In the top left of the screen is the mission timer. You should take a screenshot at the start and end of each stage and work out the time difference 

1 minute ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I for one loved Azimech's challenge and even tried to take part but my hands twitch and don't do what I tell 'em to all the time so I wasn't able to post a successful entry

Yep. I, for one, am a big fan of a large leaderboard based on who actually finished, with details about their car and the time it took. I'm not opposed to speed competitions but I'm not really into building those sorts of vehicles (I'd do better at orbital mechanics challenges, for instance). This Dakar format is more of a survival challenge as I understand it, testicular/ovarian fortitude and the ability to build a car able to make the route.

1 minute ago, regex said:

Yep. I, for one, am a big fan of a large leaderboard based on who actually finished, with details about their car and the time it took. I'm not opposed to speed competitions but I'm not really into building those sorts of vehicles (I'd do better at orbital mechanics challenges, for instance). This Dakar format is more of a survival challenge as I understand it, testicular/ovarian fortitude and the ability to build a car able to make the route.

Hear, hear!

1 minute ago, regex said:

^^^ this

A series of short tracks deserves it's own league if you ask me ... Dakar based challenges should be based on the Dakar concept and shouldn't be mixed with short track challenges IMO

Just now, DoctorDavinci said:

^^^ this

A series of short tracks deserves it's own league if you ask me ... Dakar based challenges should be based on the Dakar concept and shouldn't be mixed with short track challenges IMO

Also that means that different vehicles don't have to be built as the type of race changes 

^^^ this

I agree to an extent, but on an organizational level, they can be similar if not damn near identical. The participant has the choice to be one. 

9 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I wasn't trying to knock your idea, it's just that there are many of us who do not have the hand/eye coordination and would not be able to take part in those small track based challenges ... include it by all means, however that may be limiting others to just being spectators who would like to take part

I for one loved Azimech's challenge and even tried to take part but my hands twitch and don't do what I tell 'em to all the time so I wasn't able to post a successful entry

Sorry to read that ... I hope there'll be a solution for your hands. I would really like to see your entry some day.

Maybe the KRL could be split into 2 series; Rally Concept and Track Concept.

Sorta like F1 has the main class (F1; duh) and GP2 (The sorta secondary class.) Rally Concept is the main class, and Track concept (Where the KSCRC and Azimech and anything else goes) Can be sorta like a training league for drivers wanting to test their skills but not go straight to Rally Concept.

8 minutes ago, Azimech said:

solution for your hands. 

Perhaps in bad taste, but...

Lemonade is a solution :P 

6 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Maybe the KRL could be split into 2 series; Rally Concept and Track Concept.

Sorta like F1 has the main class (F1; duh) and GP2 (The sorta secondary class.) Rally Concept is the main class, and Track concept (Where the KSCRC and Azimech and anything else goes) Can be sorta like a training league for drivers wanting to test their skills but not go straight to Rally Concept.

Great point. I kinda addressed that in the new thread, but I'll go edit to elaborate. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut
Don't drink kids.

12 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Sorry to read that ... I hope there'll be a solution for your hands. I would really like to see your entry some day.

I designed the Bad Beaver for your challenge which is the predecessor of Bill's Big Bad Beaver ... I had a blast attempting your track and even did the badass=true deal by jumping not only the first flag but the second one as well :cool: (I just couldn't finish the race)

10 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Perhaps in bad taste, but...

Lemonade is a solution :P 

Been making my own lemonade for years :wink:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

I designed the Bad Beaver for your challenge which is the predecessor of Bill's Big Bad Beaver ... I had a blast attempting your track and even did the badass=true deal by jumping not only the first flag but the second one as well :cool: (I just couldn't finish the race)

Been brewing my own for years :wink:

Who knows ... I'd like to taste that some day. But we're violating a rule here guys ;-)

Bahhh, my sighting runs are getting progressively better, but I am very glad we have til January.

First recorded attempt: crashed fatally (lost boost flaps) during Stage 2.

Next recorded attempt: did much better, but still crashed on Stage 5, losing a wheel.  Jeb refused to give up, and tried to finish the stage as such... and lost another wheel.  Now down to the back two wheels, Jeb still refused to give up ("to go this far just to give up?!  Blasphemy!") so he drove it until the entire thing fell apart.  After trying to fix it, Jeb realized that the SAS was taking up MUCH too much EC trying to stabilize the rover, which was casuing the kOS script to shut off.  Without the script, I cannot properly prevent my rover from flying, and, as such, I was out.  Just a Stage and a half to go... so close!  I'll get it next time!

Edited by Slam_Jones

1 minute ago, Slam_Jones said:

Bahhh, my sighting runs are getting progressively better, but I am very glad we have til January.

First recorded attempt: crashed fatally (lost boost flaps) during Stage 2.

Next recorded attempt: did much better, but still crashed on Stage 5, losing a wheel.  Jeb refused to give up, and tried to finish the stage as such... and lost another wheel.  Now down to the back two wheels, Jeb still refused to give up ("to go this far just to give up?!  Blasphemy!") so he drove it until the entire thing fell apart.  After trying to fix it, Jeb realized that the SAS was taking up MUCH too much EC trying to stabilize the rover, which was casuing the kOS script to shut off.  Without the script, I cannot properly prevent my rover from flying, and, as such, I was finished.  Just a Stage and a half to go... so close!  I'll get it next time!

This is the Dakar spirit. 

3 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

This is the Dakar spirit. 

I figured after circumnavigating Kerbin in a rover last year, this would be a walk in the park...  one thing I didn't consider was that with my circumnav, I avoided areas like this, while this challenge takes us directly through them.

Edited by Slam_Jones

1 minute ago, Slam_Jones said:

I figured after circumnavigating Kerbin in a rover last year, this would be a walk in the park...  one thing I didn't consider was that with my circumnav, I avoided areas like this, while this challenge takes us directly through them.

My yet-to-be-finished Elcano attempt started with climbing these very same mountains lol. 

Have any of you noticed how this topic is easily the most popular in years? Eighteen pages in 12 days ... Must be a record. I'm going to communicate this with Squad ... What I predicted more than a year back is true ... there is money to be made with a racing/rally game.

Oww ... seems I'm doing it right now. @sal_vager

Hi Matt! Care to join the race? :-P

2 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Have any of you noticed how this topic is easily the most popular in years? Eighteen pages in 12 days ... Must be a record. I'm going to communicate this with Squad ... What I predicted more than a year back is true ... there is money to be made with a racing/rally game.

Oww ... seems I'm doing it right now. @sal_vager

Hi Matt! Care to join the race? :-P

Thinking about it, though I'll be away a few days, also only one t :)

4 minutes ago, Azimech said:

This challenge definitely gave me back my motivation for kerbal 

Also a kerbal style racing/rally gave would be awesome