Imbedding a chute in my part

It's mostly done in your 3D-modelling app, then processed in unity into an .mu file and then some entries to the config file.

@sumghai wrote a nice short workflow overview:

Also nice to read are the following threads: they helped me a lot.

You can also use armatures and control the different part of the chute (Riser, suspension cords, canopy) independent from each other. I used this to avoid the riser cables to get wider, when the canopy gets wider during the full inflation animation. Just look at the stock chutes, their risers are tiny strings when the chute is partially deployed and just gets its real diameter when the cute deploys fully. This just looks silly.

One thing though, if you use armatures, make the chute mesh a child of the armatures, unless it will not work properly. I could not get it to work when i set the mesh as a child of the armature in blender itself, but doing so in unity worked fine. See images as example how the hierarchy of the parts is in blender and unity.

KQLf6MK.png

Ngh2kHC.png

Edited by sumghai
Pointed first quoted thread to correct post

Hiya, just so you're clear, the cap/ cap.obj is just the bit that pops off when the chute is deployed and covers the aperture through which the chute deploys ,  the canopy/ canopy.obj is the bit that slows you down and the case/ main_model.obj is where the chute is stored. These are 3 individual parts yet part of the same model, when you export from blender simply drag the cap and canopy to be a child of the case, then export 1 dae/fbx.  In unity create an empty game object and drop your imported model onto it so that becomes a child of the game object, now click on the case under the game object and expand it, now simply drag the canopy and cap from being a child of case to being a child not grandchild of parent

The hierarchy should end up something like below, this doesn't use armatures or bones and uses the same basic method as stock chutes, in that the deployment is controlled by simply scaling the object back to 1 or whatever size you want, to do it this way you need to have scaled your chute in blender before export, these particular chutes are scaled down to 0.01 prior to export from the modelling app,

In unity when animating to semi deploy you simply animate the scale half way back to normal and for fully deploy you scale from half deploy/scale to full deploy/scale, easy peasy :)

WLQm6RA.png

There are a couple of hidden parts here but they have nothing to do with the chute function and serve only as decoration. all functional parts are shown, this example has in the end two nested GameObjects simply because it was a little too large in game and rather than scaling all the parts and ending up all gappy, i add another GO drop all the parts on that and then scale the GO, leaving the main  parent GO always at scale 1

On 12.12.2016 at 1:18 AM, lextacy said:

so I would export 3 main_model.obj  ,cap.obj ,and canopy.obj into Unity. Then Unity would take those 3 models and write the .mu ? 

The can be exported in on file (if .obj, fbx, even .blend.) but they have to be separate meshes in those files.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.