The Kerbal Dakar 2017 entry vehicles thread

Triop

2 minutes ago, Triop said:

Wait, are you guys saving during doing a stage ?

Not for the actual competition, no. I'll probably do the whole thing in one night, put my kid to bed and start laying down rubber. But when I'm testing it makes sense to save so I don't have to re-drive the first stage every time.

Just now, regex said:

Not for the actual competition, no. I'll probably do the whole thing in one night, put my kid to bed and start laying down rubber. But when I'm testing it makes sense to save so I don't have to re-drive the first stage every time.

Thanks for clearing that, to be honest I don't think you guys want to cheat. ^_^

2 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Is there a mode where we have to drop our rovers from orbit to start the race?

I actually am full belly laughing here. The sight of a 'Rally Tank' -emblazoned with Red Bull and GReddy sponsorship logos - pushing a wave of re-entry plasma as it plummets to the starting line...

You, Sir/Ma'am, are a genius. 

1 minute ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Like, "Gentlemen, drop your rovers!"  and everyone cheers and the rovers come hurtling down from orbit in big fireballs and land and the kerbals hop in and take off toward the first flag.

Whatever drug you are using, stop doing it....^_^

Man, the second and third stages are downright murder on the chassis... I've had to build an entirely new car with a lower center of mass to get through those. Still have yet to complete the third stage with anything, there's some serious hash to negotiate in there, hill climbs and descents are the least of my worries. On the plus side the new car managed most of Stage 5 and all of 6 and 7 without issue so I just have to figure out how to get through the back part of the mountain.

Back to practice.

Edited by regex

The glorious Land Cruiser is once more at large, returned from the part-name-change limbo in which it was stuck. It's armed to the teeth and brooks no argument.
SoCrvLH.png
Within its belly it carries three HT-03s, to continue the race if it falls.
7l1AqRV.png
From start to finish, the trip took about 23 minutes.
gCYRN5s.png
euYRJGh.png
I had some power issues, mostly thanks to the work-in-progress status of the Land Cruiser, so a couple hills necessitated running the parasite ships' turbines. All in all the trip was uneventful. The LC is heavy and slow enough that it can take straight-line courses, at least in Stage 1. Just set trim and go.

I also made a successful run with the Racetank. Bill's strapped onto the back, as promised.
D4g1pPs.png
Qv6BsMK.png
Don't mind the i-beam floating in space behind the Racetank. It'll be fine.

I also took the HT-03 for a spin.
clDqzMf.png
I7uxyva.png
After an...unorthodox start involving detonating the start flag, the craft eventually crashed a meager three klicks from the checkpoint. I could tune the suspension better, but it's already kinda counter to the competition, what with its active aerodynamic surfaces, lack of boost flaps, and magical antigravity. Sorry about the lack of beauty shots for this thing.
(Oh, and will you look at that. I made it there in -42 seconds! Must've been the root-part-blowing-up thing it did.)

The Magnus is getting more and more violent as the days go on. Today, it assassinated Jeb when he was trying to fix a tire. Cause of death: Spaghettification. Murder weapon: Negative recoil limiter. Yup, the same one what put Bill facefirst into the drink yesterday. I think I need to try that safety thing. But first, I need to figure out the last couple of steps for the suspension system. Among them: The (apparently) anticipated Rebound Damping!

More shinies later!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.