2014 MU69 flyby distance?

MaxwellsDemon

http://www.space.com/32049-kbo-2014-mu69.html

it will pass even closer to 2014 MU69 than it flew by Pluto, though the exact distance is not yet known

A nice picture, though

(from http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/new-horizons-a-billion-miles-to-2014-mu69-10012015/)

Spoiler

PT1-compared-to-Cape-Cod.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

:o even closer!? The pictures' resolution is going to be amazing. And it will be the farthest solar system object to be partially mapped, no?

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

But will the probe have enough light to take good pictures? It's dark out there...

I'm pretty sure the cameras on NH will be able to compensate for the lack of appropriate light there.

Edited by Veeltch

I used NASA's Eyes to see what their current projection was for the flyby.  The closest approach was on Dec 26th, 2018 at ~6:47pm.  Somewhere around 355,000 miles apart.  I imagine there is, at least, one more burn to be done though.

hl4XFNx.png

Edited by SuperFastJellyfish
Added image

355,000 miles isn't very close*... I sure hope a burn will bring it closer than that!  The asteroid it flew by in 2006 was something like 100 km away and it was just a blob in the imaging.

* Astronomically, it is.  I mean 'close enough for good imaging.'

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.