We Want More Space Sensors!

Jonfliesgoats

Sure we need more space sensors, but they should be pointed up, not down.

I used to frequent space.com, but then they decided to just shut down the forums without notice or explanation. Now they deal with fearmongering. 

SDC, going downhill since 2011.

Edited by Shpaget

You dont want an effective missile defense system. Luckily its also more or less impossible to build an effective one.

If you dont have to fear a counter attack for a nuclear first strike nothing is keeping you from nuking your enemy whenever you want....

Probably good opportunities for training and evaluation too.

On 12/24/2016 at 9:18 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

It would be quite a waste to have all these laser sats and drones up there and hopefully never actually being used for anything except deterrent. As long as they're up there, how about using them for debris removal via laser ablation?

18 hours ago, Elthy said:

You dont want an effective missile defense system. Luckily its also more or less impossible to build an effective one.

If you dont have to fear a counter attack for a nuclear first strike nothing is keeping you from nuking your enemy whenever you want....

The problem with MAD is that while it works for humanity as a whole, there is still incentive for the individual state to develop missile defense.

On 12/24/2016 at 10:02 PM, Shpaget said:

Sure we need more space sensors, but they should be pointed up, not down.

I used to frequent space.com, but then they decided to just shut down the forums without notice or explanation. Now they deal with fearmongering. 

SDC, going downhill since 2011.

Interesting.  I haven't really thought about how Space.com has changed its tenor over time, but it does seem to have changed.  Fear makes good click bait.  I know I take the hook more often than I should.

The sensors used in satellites are specific based on the applications they are used for. However there are some generic sensors that are common for all the man made satellites.
1. Attitude sensors (to determine its position and directivity since only stars could be used as fixed points)
2. Star tracker sensors (to detect the orientation of the craft)
3. Temperature sensor (as the temperature highly fluctuates during the time of facing the sun and while on the shadow of earth this temp sensors are one of the must have sensors)

For the defenses, we require more Space-based senses so that the sensors could detect missiles or any type of space threats. More sensor means more eyes on the target.

Edited by John22

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.