Airstream protective shell in KSP 1.2 - how to use interstage nodes and truss structure?

Hello. Can anyone please explain me how to use interstage nodes and truss structure that available and turned on by default for Airstream protective shells in KSP v1.2?

I have relatively hefty payload with weak attachment point - so truss structure supporting it during ascent would be just fine to make assembly stiff. But I can't figure out how to detach my payload from that Airstream protective shell when I place my payload at interstage node inside it to have truss structure supporting it.

Edited by kstark

I think I got it. Interstage nodes and trusses are for multiple small payloads in one protective shell. To make my one payload attached firmly I need to use EAS-4 struts. Not an elegant solution, but at least it works... reliably.

Edited by kstark

Your payload will auto-strut to the fairing, so you don't need any of those EAS-4 struts. Note those struts will vanish when you eject the shell.

You've got it, though. The truss and nodes are for launching several small payloads and have nothing to do with securing a single one.

Hi 5thHorseman. Probably I can't get your comment right, but if I attach my single payload to the fairing base through decoupler or through decoupler again to interstage node - then I don't get any more stiffness to the structure because connection goes through week point only or have helping trusses but inseparable payload (decoubler explodes and that is all). So I feel EAS-4 struts necessary.

Thank You, Deddly, I'm new to KSP forums and learned about Gameplay Questions from your post.

Edited by kstark

1 hour ago, kstark said:

To make my one payload attached firmly I need to use EAS-4 struts.

One other thing you can do is attach (the back of) a docking port to an interstage node opposite of the payload, and give your payload a docking port on that end. Ensure the docking ports are close enough that when the vessel loads on the pad, they automatically dock -> now the payload is secured from both ends.

Disadvantage: contrary to the fairing truss structure (which is apparently just a holographic projection), the docking port on the interstage node will be completely solid and your payload may need to maneuver free from it, so design accordingly.

Thanks swjr-swis. But it looks pretty kerbal-like and gives a floating in vacuum docking port after separation, nevertheless attached firmly. And generally looks very tricky.

I have no place for docking port at the fore end of my payload and, I think, additional weight of struts is not a problem.

Edited by kstark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.