[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

8 hours ago, Choc113 said:

Just going to add I am having exactly the same issues as you. I have tried reverting the game(though steam) and my mods(though ckan) to previous versions, updating it again to the latest version removing all extraplanetry launchpads mods then all USI mods and reinstalling (the USI ones) from the constellation link and updating  USI tools to 0.11.0.0 Also started a new sandbox for testing and only the smallest drills seemed to be in the inventory the stock (yellow) ore driller seems to work thought if that is relevant 

KSP 1.4.0.2077 MKS 0.54.0.0  USITools 0.11.0.0 at the moment 

Beeb seeing the same thing, although everything seems to work ok, just the config informatiin in the detail windows just seem to say ???. 

I shiuld point out that this is not just drill related, since updang to the latest 1.3.1 (not 1.4) version with the oribital logistics i also have same issue in all MKS configurable parts, ie assembly parts also say ???.

Strangley tho this is not always the case, some do retain the info, i am not sure why whether i configured the parts in the vab in different ways or what.

I got it to work thank you everyone that helped me in this process!!

I was looking at some of the other mods by USI.  I was thinking about the warp drive is it fun and easy to use?

how is the project Orion? is it fun and easy as well?

Does anyone have a mod that adds more planets to explore?  I tired one some time ago and i could never get it to work where the planets actually showed up on the map.

20 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Do not put the ZIP in you GameData folder.  Extract the contents of the ZIP, and put the contents of the ZIP\GameData folder into your GameData folder.

Thank you so much for your help I got it to work.

I downloaded several mods from USI catalog. I noticed that several have some of the same folders as the MKS mod. I dont was to pull over and make doubles of things so what out of each of these new mods do I need to pull out and put into the game data folder?

Warp Drive

Asteroid

Exploration

Project Orion

Freight

Konstruction

USI Core

2 minutes ago, Capt. Kirk said:

I downloaded several mods from USI catalog. I noticed that several have some of the same folders as the MKS mod. I dont was to pull over and make doubles of things so what out of each of these new mods do I need to pull out and put into the game data folder?

If you want the mod, you only need one of each (if you only want MKS, you don't need any of those), and it doesn't matter which folder you get them from. USI Core isn't needed, since its components are distributed with all USI mods that need them. 

21 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

If you want the mod, you only need one of each (if you only want MKS, you don't need any of those), and it doesn't matter which folder you get them from. USI Core isn't needed, since its components are distributed with all USI mods that need them. 

lets start with warp drive.  I pulled the folder that says warp dive out and placed it in the game date folder and the warp drive is not in the parts list in the game unless I am missing it somewhere.  

So I understand this each mod has a game data folder with to read files. opening it there are the USI tools, community resource pack, firespitter, USI, and a modular manager file.  Which do I pull over to get the new mod or do I have to pull them all over? I already have the MKS mod installed and working but some of these other mods I thought would add more to the fun if they are already part of the MKS mod then I dont need them of course.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Kirk said:

lets start with warp drive.  I pulled the folder that says warp dive out and placed it in the game date folder and the warp drive is not in the parts list in the game unless I am missing it somewhere.  

So I understand this each mod has a game data folder with to read files. opening it there are the USI tools, community resource pack, firespitter, USI, and a modular manager file.  Which do I pull over to get the new mod or do I have to pull them all over? I already have the MKS mod installed and working but some of these other mods I thought would add more to the fun if they are already part of the MKS mod then I dont need them of course.

The Alcubierre Drive mod is completely standalone and has no dependencies apart from the usual MM. All USI mods go in the USI folder in GameData, not straight in GD.

2 hours ago, Capt. Kirk said:

Don't put the WarpDrive folder directly in your GameData folder. Look inside the ZIP file - there is already a GameData folder that shows you what to do: put the stuff inside THAT folder insider YOUR GameData folder.

Result: <KSPdirectory>/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/WarpDrive/

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

So a quick update.  For the swappable converter issues, I am publishing a 1.3.1 compatible fix in the Constellation zip (for those of you still on 1.3.1).  Any further fixes will be in the 1.4.0 compatible versions being pushed to all of the USI repos. 

Given we have Making History (and 1.4.1) scheduled for the 13th, any future updates will be for 1.4.1, and assume folks have updated to that patch, even if they do not have the DLC.  No further updates for 1.3.1 or 1.4.0 will be done.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Capt. Kirk said:

It's really simple.  You install every mod the same way.  If a mods' zip file has just a folder inside you extract to gamedata. If a mods' zip file has a gamedata folder inside you put the contents of gamedata into your gamedata  (you never want nested gamedata folders).  In the case of USI mods (or other mods with shared components) just let it overwrite existing files.

Hi, found an error in the latest MKS with the MEU-100-A drill.

In MKS_Drill_01A.cfg, the Karbonite definition (Line 563) has an invalid HarvesterType of 0.8 (error in compile) and no efficiency line. I think it needs to be:

HarvesterType = 0
        Efficiency = .8

Please verify? Thanks

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

So a quick update.  For the swappable converter issues, I am publishing a 1.3.1 compatible fix in the Constellation zip (for those of you still on 1.3.1).  Any further fixes will be in the 1.4.0 compatible versions being pushed to all of the USI repos. 

Given we have Making History (and 1.4.1) scheduled for the 13th, any future updates will be for 1.4.1, and assume folks have updated to that patch, even if they do not have the DLC.  No further updates for 1.3.1 or 1.4.0 will be done.

Thanks!

Another question about Karbonite - I'd like to update the drills, but am wondering if it wouldn't be best to use swappable converters à la MKS so that each drill has two bays and can go 50/50 Ka/Karborundom, or 100% of either if desired. Thoughts? or best just to have them always able to do both?

Is the swappable drill stuff something that comes from USI tools, or from MKS's DLLs, though?

If that's a MKS-specific feature, then I could also switch the Ka/Karborundum drills to stock ModuleResourceHarvester with heat efficiencies and whatnot, unless there's some point in retaining the ModuleResourceHarvester_USI...

30 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi, found an error in the latest MKS with the MEU-100-A drill.

In MKS_Drill_01A.cfg, the Karbonite definition (Line 563) has an invalid HarvesterType of 0.8 (error in compile) and no efficiency line. I think it needs to be:

HarvesterType = 0
        Efficiency = .8

Please verify? Thanks

Given that there are new configs in constellation (and the latest 1.4 version) probably a moot point :)

26 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Another question about Karbonite - I'd like to update the drills, but am wondering if it wouldn't be best to use swappable converters à la MKS so that each drill has two bays and can go 50/50 Ka/Karborundom, or 100% of either if desired. Thoughts? or best just to have them always able to do both?

Is the swappable drill stuff something that comes from USI tools, or from MKS's DLLs, though?

If that's a MKS-specific feature, then I could also switch the Ka/Karborundum drills to stock ModuleResourceHarvester with heat efficiencies and whatnot, unless there's some point in retaining the ModuleResourceHarvester_USI...

It's a USITools feature - but I would hold off a bit until the new code settles down as there was a large change due to drills being very laggy.

9 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Given that there are new configs in constellation (and the latest 1.4 version) probably a moot point :)

It's a USITools feature - but I would hold off a bit until the new code settles down as there was a large change due to drills being very laggy.

Okie doke. In that case, I will create a patch (only) that could be used to test it out, but won't PR the swappable stuff for the drills. In the meantime, should I just use stock modules on the Ka/Ka+ drills? Or is there some functionality in the USI specific module that couldn't be replicated?

Reason I ask is because I thought it would be nice / good for balance if the Ka drills A) produced heat / potentially overheated like stock Ore drills, and B) also got bonuses from Engineers, so was trying to work that into the config. I see how to do it with Stock modules, but unsure about the USI resource harvester.

I just updated everything with the new Constellation bugfix release: Constellation 2018.03.11.01 - 1.3.1 Bugfixes

The USI Tools has a version file of 1.4, not 1.3.1. Is that a version file error or can it still be used in 1.3.1?

Thanks

Edit1: to be clear,  Constellation 2018.03.11.01 - 1.3.1 Bugfixes has a UST Tools version 0.11.0.0 compatible for 1.4. Firespitter also has a 1.4 version tag. CRP and CCK do also, but since they are not binaries, less worried about them.

Edited by Gilph
clarity

OK. Here is an attempt at a balance pass for most of the Karbonite parts, in patch form. The patches will be mostly copy-pastable once they're tested and a PR is warranted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kt0hakjau75irwt/KarboniteFixes_01.zip?dl=0

No swappable business yet, just values to check to see if they're vaguely reasonable.

On 3/7/2018 at 7:07 PM, fragzilla17 said:

Whole Lot of Stuff about drills, mainly this:

[ERR 19:04:55.201] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

[LOG 19:04:55.202] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_02A/MKS_Drill_02A'
[ERR 19:04:55.202] PartLoader: Encountered exception during compilation. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartLoader.ReplaceTextures (UnityEngine.GameObject model, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 textureNames, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 newTextures) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader.CompileModel (.UrlConfig cfg, .ConfigNode partCfg, Single scaleFactor, .AvailablePart partInfo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I checked the part config and made sure that the texture file (`UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS\Assets\TriBitDrill_GN.dds`) exists and is not corrupt (it opens in Paint.net just fine).

I even tried copying the TriBitDrill_GN.dds file from an older, known-good version of MKS just to see if something got corrupted but I get the same error.

I dumped the texture call in each of the missing drill cfg files, the parts then loaded with the standard stock texture.  I would assume then that the issue is with the DDS files.

14 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Yeah the DLLs are fine.

Thanks. Seems to be OK now. The only MKS base that I built in 1.3.1 seemed to have been corrupted. Once I deleted it and made it from scratch after putting in the latest version, it seems to be sorted for the moment.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:01 AM, DirpleKerbal19 said:

Say i just want to play around with some of the parts in sandbox mode and don't feel like the heavy duty life support systems can i go without them for a prolonged period of time ? If not are there any plans for an option for this in the main menu ?

If you are on the main KSC page and click the USI-LS button, you can configure the rates and functionality of USI-LS, including making all of the bad-stuff results 'no effect' which effectively disables USI-LS.

Also, this is the USI-MKS thread, and while USI-LS is supported and well integrated with USI-MKS, they are different mods and neither one requires the other, so you could always just install USI-MKS without USI-LS and have no life support to worry about at all.

Having trouble even getting started. I'm in career mode, and I just unlocked the landing module and command pod. What should I put on my spacecraft to begin a (temporary) colony?

EDIT

I don't know how to start off, and I am looking for a quick rundown of what to do to create a temporary colony. What modules / parts will I need?

I have KAS/KIS installed with Modular Kolonization and USI-LS

Edited by Shiftend

6 hours ago, Capt. Kirk said:

where do I find LH2 fuel for the Nuclear Engines?

The nuclear engines aren't from MKS, but the cylindrical liquid/gas containers in the Logistics tab have LH2. Other mods may have more options.

3 hours ago, Shiftend said:

Having trouble even getting started. I'm in career mode, and I just unlocked the landing module and command pod. What should I put on my spacecraft to begin a (temporary) colony?

EDIT

I don't know how to start off, and I am looking for a quick rundown of what to do to create a temporary colony. What modules / parts will I need?

I have KAS/KIS installed with Modular Kolonization and USI-LS

You can start with the awesome MKS wiki: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki

Also check the KSPedia section for MKS, it has a lot of useful information and simple base examples.