[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

7 minutes ago, PixelStory2 said:

Sweet! What about a super flat world with tons of plateaus?

What do you mean by that? :)

Image result for plateau

I think having a very flat world would be... reasonably boring to land on - terrain variation is key! What other land features would you like to see?

15 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I might also add a magnetic field (aurora) around either Sheathe or thelai as there both composed of a metal core.

It might look a little wonky because of a lack of atmosphere, but what do you think? :)

I think it really depends on where the Radiation is coming from to cause aurorae. Does Olu'um emit radiation (according to the lore) because if so aurorae might look good on sheathe. (sorry for the late reply, had to go to bed)

Also one more thing regarding Scorch.

Does it have a powerful magnetic field?

9 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

I think it really depends on where the Radiation is coming from to cause aurorae. Does Olu'um emit radiation (according to the lore) because if so aurorae might look good on sheathe. (sorry for the late reply, had to go to bed)

From jupiter: "Jupiter's magnetic field is larger, complex and up to ten times the strength of Earth's. Jupiter's magnetic field is thought to arise from electrical currents emanating from a rapidly spinning, metallic hydrogen interior"

And so the same applies to Olu'um. It's hot enough and the giant spins, therefore the core must also spin, creating a magnetic field :)

Short answer = yes, even though I never clarified what Olu'um's core was made of!

7 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

From jupiter: "Jupiter's magnetic field is larger, complex and up to ten times the strength of Earth's. Jupiter's magnetic field is thought to arise from electrical currents emanating from a rapidly spinning, metallic hydrogen interior"

And so the same applies to Olu'um. It's hot enough and the giant spins, therefore the core must also spin, creating a magnetic field :)

Short answer = yes, even though I never clarified what Olu'um's core was made of!

well than in that case I don't see why Sheathe would not have aurorae

Also Is olu'um supposed to have a very violent atmosphere?

Edited by ModerndayLink64

13 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

well than in that case I don't see why Sheathe would not have aurorae

Also Is olu'um supposed to have a very violent atmosphere?

Because it's a sub-star (hot Jupiter, if you like), the closer you get to the top layer of the atmosphere, the hotter it becomes, because the heat from the giant is mixed with the heat reflected from the sun by the atmosphere. Below the top layer, the giant actually gets cooler until around 10% of the way down where it heats up again.

From this you could imagine Olu'um has a violent atmosphere, because heat creates convection currents and high winds. You could argue the atmosphere isn't as violent because the temperature is generally equal even on the day-night sides. This is because the top layer reflects the sun much more than a regular atmosphere, so the temperature is uniform further down.

In short, I think the atmosphere definitely turns 1 in one definitive direction, and that would help with the magnetic field. (Plus auroras look nice :D )

20 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Because it's a sub-star (hot Jupiter, if you like), the closer you get to the top layer of the atmosphere, the hotter it becomes, because the heat from the giant is mixed with the heat reflected from the sun by the atmosphere. Below the top layer, the giant actually gets cooler until around 10% of the way down where it heats up again.

From this you could imagine Olu'um has a violent atmosphere, because heat creates convection currents and high winds. You could argue the atmosphere isn't as violent because the temperature is generally equal even on the day-night sides. This is because the top layer reflects the sun much more than a regular atmosphere, so the temperature is uniform further down.

In short, I think the atmosphere definitely turns 1 in one definitive direction, and that would help with the magnetic field. (Plus auroras look nice :D )

Is it hot enough to emit small amounts of light on the night side?

I wonder if that is possible...

Edited by ModerndayLink64

10 minutes ago, flack said:

Playing around with your awsome mod and Kerbalism radiations!

Great work btw!

Whoa! As well as looking awesome, that helps me quite a lot!

In the images I can see that Telos slips inside its magnetosphere for about a third of its orbit (or so). Perhaps this explains why Telos' atmosphere is so thin even though its quite heavy - being outside the magnetosphere/magnetic field means that it loses all its protection and its atmosphere is exposed to Kerbol's solar wind? :o 

16 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I might also add a magnetic field (aurora) around either Sheathe or thelai as there both composed of a metal core.

It might look a little wonky because of a lack of atmosphere, but what do you think? :)

A aurora is the reaction of an interaction between charged particles and a planet's atmosphere.

Allow me to explain:

1. Charged particles from the Sun aproach Earth.

2. Earth's magnetic field pulls on these charged particles and pulls them to the poles.

3. The charged particles smash into the atmosphere, resulting in a lightshow known as an aurora.

So rocky planets technically can't have aurora's. But hey, this is KSP, so if you want to, then why not? :wink:

7 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

A aurora is the reaction of an interaction between charged particles and a planet's atmosphere.

Allow me to explain:

1. Charged particles from the Sun aproach Earth.

2. Earth's magnetic field pulls on these charged particles and pulls them to the poles.

3. The charged particles smash into the atmosphere, resulting in a lightshow known as an aurora.

So rocky planets technically can't have aurora's. But hey, this is KSP, so if you want to, then why not? :wink:

Ahhh I thought the atmosphere came into it somewhere, but a google search returned otherwise. I just searched again and found it's electrons VS the air that causes it. But Sheathe technically has all that dust floating about doesn't it (Kinda simulated it with EVE). Nothing overly dense, but hey. I'll see how an aurora looks on it and decide based on that!

15 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

Is it hot enough to emit small amounts of light on the night side?

This occurs in stars, but won't work for Olu'um (KSP limitations prevent me from adding a light source to Olu'um because it's not a star)

So from that, it doesn't produce light:

vqt5diM.png

15 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Whoa! As well as looking awesome, that helps me quite a lot!

In the images I can see that Telos slips inside its magnetosphere for about a third of its orbit (or so). Perhaps this explains why Telos' atmosphere is so thin even though its quite heavy - being outside the magnetosphere/magnetic field means that it loses all its protection and its atmosphere is exposed to Kerbol's solar wind? :o 

Magnetic fields for the stock planets! You might find this useful!

11 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

do you think you could add an "aurora" that uses a texture similar to this http://dropcanvas.com/3hrm8/1

(because auroras are just glowing cloud layers)

It's unlikely. Kerbol's radiation isn't powerful enough to have that much of an effect that far away, especially on a massive gas giant. I tried experimenting with colouring it and it's a nightmare, but after applying it to Olu'um I think it would leave people slightly confused, sorry :) 

2 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

It's unlikely. Kerbol's radiation isn't powerful enough to have that much of an effect that far away, especially on a massive gas giant. I tried experimenting with colouring it and it's a nightmare, but after applying it to Olu'um I think it would leave people slightly confused, sorry :) 

no problem, I was just curious