[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

Lore #3 - Sonus

Sonus has undergone an extreme formation process. Billions of years ago, a slightly larger mass of rock encountered Olu'um's accretion disk at extreme speeds. Small rocks, dust and radiation blasted the surface of what Kerbals now call Sonus. This created extremely high temperatures on the surface of the planet - scientists believe this is how it got its atmosphere. Over its course of 4 months past the Olumnian system, this hunk of rock (now slightly smaller than before) began to cool. This cooling process cracked up the rock in different locations similar to how Kerbin has its own continents.

Image result for planet in accretion disk

Finally, the planet settled into a nice orbit around Kerbol. Gas locked deep inside the planet began to leak out of the continental rifts, and Sonus was bombarded by many comets, bringing water and an atmosphere to the rocky body. Unfortunately, an asteroid of a similar size to Kerbin's 'Mun' collided with Sonus, ejecting rocks away from the planet. But we all know your enemies can become friends, and this former asteroid cleaned up the small rocks around Sonus and became classed as a moon - Sojos, with its feature volcano.

You can still see craters pot-marked on the surface of Sonus as scars, but after its endless endeavours, the poor planet was rewarded with basic plant life, manageable CO2 and O2 levels, and a moon to keep its rotational axis stable.

OzJyZitB2.png

(Look at those clouds! The White Guardian has done a great job!)

Thanks for reading this lore!

Edited by Gameslinx

@PixelStory2 if you see the first picture up there (of the planet getting bombarded) I could attempt to recreate that as a planet of its own (I'll either add it as a new planet or replace Quarta) - lava lakes, cracks, all that lot. What do you think? Your suggestions sounded kinda crazy like that (In a good way!), so perhaps this would satisfy you? :) It's certainly different to the rest of the planets.

9 minutes ago, PixelStory2 said:

@Gameslinx That would be amazing xD

Related image

Image result for lava planet

Image result for lava planet

It also means I can apply a good ol' lava, firey accretion disk (they take HOURS to make, though) to the planet. This planet might be a little different - I need to balance the lava AND the terrain, and I'd like to mess with PQSMods again instead of a heightmap, because of the sheer accuracy and detail needed for this one.

Image result for lava planet rings

Hey all! Sorry for the poor video quality. I would upload in 1080p60 except for the fact that I'm on mobile data at the moment. I hope it's adequate - it's an orbital view of Niebos! I want to do a load of these so that I can (possibly) create video lores (unlikely but perhaps)

On 3/26/2017 at 7:00 PM, Gameslinx said:

Awesome!

To everyone following this thread:

Pick your ugliest planets from version 1.3. Reply here with them. I think we've hit the limit for planets in the Kerbal system and I need to revisit a few and brush them up. Which planets do guys want to see rivisited, improved or redone?

This will help increase the overall quality of the mod by maintaining a good standard. Thanks!

I'd say quarta

3 hours ago, PixelStory2 said:

I'd say quarta

CWAvSPr.jpg

This is what the planet looks like so far, and for the most part its terrain is complete. This was generated entirely from PQSMods, and no heightmap was needed.

What do you think? Also, should the planet be atmospheric or not? (Bearing in mind this will increase the file size, and there are already quite a lot of atmospheric planets in the pack already, so pick wisely!).

27 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

CWAvSPr.jpg

This is what the planet looks like so far, and for the most part its terrain is complete. This was generated entirely from PQSMods, and no heightmap was needed.

What do you think? Also, should the planet be atmospheric or not? (Bearing in mind this will increase the file size, and there are already quite a lot of atmospheric planets in the pack already, so pick wisely!).

Looks good! With that much lava on the surface an atmosphere could have been burned away so I don't think there should be an atmosphere

10 minutes ago, AceCrafted said:

Looks good! With that much lava on the surface an atmosphere could have been burned away so I don't think there should be an atmosphere

Sorted! Less file size = nice! It's a vacuum world.

20 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Hey all! Sorry for the poor video quality. I would upload in 1080p60 except for the fact that I'm on mobile data at the moment. I hope it's adequate - it's an orbital view of Niebos! I want to do a load of these so that I can (possibly) create video lores (unlikely but perhaps)

Turn on the ringshaders when filming! :o They're too unstable to use on multiple rings at once so for gameplay purposes they're not yet suited but for something like this? Definitely.

Edited by The White Guardian

7 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Turn on the ringshaders when filming! :o They're too unstable to use on multiple rings at once so for gameplay purposes they're not yet suited but for something like this? Definitely.

Will do for next time!

46 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

CWAvSPr.jpg

THAT is awesome!

Do you need a lava texture for the ocean by the way?

Also, know that HazardousOcean doesn't take altitude vs. heat-per-second but rather altitude vs. heat-per-frame

Edited by The White Guardian

8 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Do you need a lava texture for the ocean by the way?

As a matter of fact, that would be incredibly useful. Especially now that we have 2 planets with lava! I think we need 8 textures:

Watermain
					{
						waterTex-0 = BUILTIN/sea-water1
						waterTex-1 = BUILTIN/sea-water2
						waterTex-2 = BUILTIN/sea-water3
						waterTex-3 = BUILTIN/sea-water4
						waterTex-4 = BUILTIN/sea-water5
						waterTex-5 = BUILTIN/sea-water6
						waterTex-6 = BUILTIN/sea-water7
						waterTex-7 = BUILTIN/sea-water8
					}

Which may be difficult (I don't want to bog you down with a lava texture :P )

4 minutes ago, PixelStory2 said:

Sounds great! Can't wait to try to explore it xD Could you name it "Hephaestus" after the greek god? Sounds fitting to me. :P

I don't want to promote my planet pack but, it every planet is named after roman gods in Galileo's Planet Pack, and has a moon Hephaestus.

Edited by Galileo

7 minutes ago, 4d4Garrison said:

Out of curiosity are you going to add the glowing red accretion disk/ring to flare? I think that it would looks really nice and would add the idea that it is still forming.

I've mentioned this above. It's likely lil' Flare will get a firey, small accretion ring (well. Not actually super-heated plasma, but a much better hot ring texture!)

Hey everyone!

NOTE: At the time of recording this, the planet still had its atmosphere. In the following video (glorious 1080p60!), I'm testing the Hazardous Ocean at Flare.

8 minutes ago, PixelStory2 said:

How about Vulcan then? It's roman for Hephaestus.

Vulcan kinda sounds like Vuncano (volcano). That sounds super cool!

2 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I've mentioned this above. It's likely lil' Flare will get a firey, small accretion ring (well. Not actually super-heated plasma, but a much better hot ring texture!)

Awesome, I plan on playing this after I get bored of GPP (which will certainly take a while as it is fantastic) so I will get all these cool news planets and features by that time hopefully.

Also I feel like scatterer dust clouds near its surface would be visually very appealing.

Edited by 4d4Garrison
Added question.