What Is the Worth of Funds

alpha tech

Currency and its value are religious affairs. Basically, any given unit of currency is worth, what its users believe it to be worth. If people started to think, the USD and EUR were overrated and act accordingly, then these currencies values decreases. On the other hand, if your local bakery would believe a sheet of used toilet paper to have the same value as one USD, your dad would pretty fast get very angry if you flushed them down the toilet.... It's just the way that people think of a sheet of paper...

On 1.02.2017 at 4:03 PM, KAL 9000 said:

I have about 10 ore drilling vehicles sitting next to the Runway in my Career game. INFINITE CASH!!!

Eh. Drilling ore is a terrible ROI.

Manufacturing monoprop was my go-to method of gathering funds, really good return, order of 30% profit over 24h. But it seems something borked and it lasts now some 4 days instead, no clue what went wrong.

Regardless - deploying Kerbin ScanSat appeared to be bullseye shot. There are two rare, hard to obtain resources used by OSE Workshop, needed in extraplanetary manufacture of parts: Rare Metals, and Exotic Minerals. Usually only one or two biomes contain any considerable concentration (and never the same two), and the price... Seriously, you prepare a new rig, look at the price... "Whoa, why is my craft 1.5mln funds?" Then a small facepalm, and you empty the Rare Metals and Exotic Minerals container and suddenly your craft is 300k funds instead of 1.5M.

And ScanSat detected unusually high concentrations of Exotic Minerals in Kerbin Shores, right outside KSC. I made a large mining rig, and in one evening I can collect about 6 million funds, with a rig worth maybe 300k and fully recoverable. It seems Jeb should have built a diamond mine instead of KSC.

I guess if Kerbal Space Program had some economical model behind it then funds and values would have settled down to more adequate numbers, though I'm sure we'd get some surprising results compared to real life.

On 01.02.2017 at 3:06 PM, KerikBalm said:

You profit much more if you convert it into LF or monoprop.

Fuel from ore? What a... I've always looked at that resource mining stuff with suspicion.

On 02.02.2017 at 11:26 PM, eloquentJane said:

Xenon is a real element, with a real market value. In game, xenon costs 40 funds per kilogram (according to the wiki). In reality, Xenon is worth $1200 per kilogram (source). This means that one fund is equivalent to 30 US dollars.

This makes it seem as though Kerbin's space program is exceptionally cheap by comparison to real space programs, but the technology used is simple by comparison so I suppose this makes sense.

You're not quite right. I'd say the game is balanced in the way you could get a significant income from your resources for, say, 100 flights rather than 10 thousands or else mining would be infinitely boring as it is in real life.

On 2.02.2017 at 9:26 PM, eloquentJane said:

This makes it seem as though Kerbin's space program is exceptionally cheap by comparison to real space programs, but the technology used is simple by comparison so I suppose this makes sense.

The huge costs of human space program come from quadruple redundancy and extreme testing and development costs. Kerbals have "Kerbal Scientific Method" as defined by Wernher von Kerman: Launch, if it blows up - revert, correct, launch again.

If we had a convenient 'revert to VAB' button, our space program would be just as cheap.

• 1 year later...

If you ask how much they worth to USD so i did researches,After Building an EXACT copy of falcon 9,Space Shuttle (maybe not so exact), and saturn V (rip 5 hours of work) i found out that 1 credit worth around 260 USD,30funds*260=7800 USD,So that amout of ore is just 7800 (just? idk i live in sheklem country)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.