[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

Well so far what we know about the planets is that apparently the mars/murs planet is going to be tidally locked with each other. I expect the solar system to be 'similar' to ours since they said it would be, but with a twist. So far that twist has come in the form of Kerbin/'earth' having two moons instead of one and the other semi-revealed planet having a very large moon resulting in being tidally locked with each other. It makes me wonder what other twists they have in store for us? :)

Yet, no planning tools are in the list for this release.

'I\'ve proven myself that you actually can perform an interplanetary transfer with the given tools, but, improvements to the tools are on the way, so it shouldn\'t be too troublesome.' - NovaSilisko

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=17601.msg255729#msg255729

I don\'t know about you but i wanna a completely chaotic system.. Planets with different inclinations..

And at least one high gravity planet..

If possible Asteroids..

Imagine the frustration and fun of landing on a chunk of rock just a few times larger than you rocket.. :hailprobe:

One thing I\'d like to see is a little easter egg planet, hidden really far out of the way of the solar system (As in, further than Pluto is in our solar system), on a really inclined plane; It would be a little ball the size of Minmus with trees, grass, oceans, et cetera. Maybe somewhere on it would be a little colony filled with Kerbals.

Also, it would be a cool easter egg if one of the desert planets had a tiny hidden oasis somewhere on it.

HAte to drag this up from a few pages back but I would love if they made King Kai\'s planet from DBZ as an easter egg. It would be like this planet you\'re just textured like King Kai.

Well, 0.16 was about implementing a core feature, EVAs, but I think that planets will be another really important feature (and I can\'t wait for this center of mass/lift/thrust/drag display), but wouldn\'t interplanetary missions be a bit difficult without docking? We would have to build enormous rockets to get out of the atmosphere, intercept another planet, land on it, take off again and go back to Kerbin, while launching from a space station would remove the first launcher (of course, the rocket would still have to be assembled at the station).

Anyway, can\'t wait for the first (proper :D) pictures of the new planets!

things i want to see

not necessary in 0.17 but in any type of full version

- failure rates to any part....

To have failures in parts is usual in space flights. Think on all those early rocket test that...BOOOM....al those early space probes that missed....

If it works the possible rate of failures of a part will decrease a lot, if it fails your increase of experiance is only up to what worked, only partly increase of experiance at those part that failed, and no increase on those parts that came not to use,

- IVA? Whats this? Only a cockpit view ?

I would like to see capsule systems (some sort of zogygene) but with real weight, volume and time limitations like in reality - not like zogygene now - put up some batts and panels and live forever....

You cant go with Mk1 capsule to moon because its to small to support your crew that long time.

Even the three crewman capsule is to small if you dont add a CSM (Command Service Mudule) where all the support stuff is in.

Therfore

- computer requirements (for all systems attached...a larger rocket more PC power is required.

- electrical power requirements for all systems - and batts, solar panels, fuel cells and radioisotope thermoelectric generators to handle it.

- oxygene requirements per crew/per hour.

- not only planets and moons but things at and on it to measure and spaceprobes for those tasks.

You want to go to other planets (whoever and whenever they show up)...its not easy to reach it. Not in reality and shouldnt in KSP.

Well, 0.16 was about implementing a core feature, EVAs, but I think that planets will be another really important feature (and I can\'t wait for this center of mass/lift/thrust/drag display), but wouldn\'t interplanetary missions be a bit difficult without docking? We would have to build enormous rockets to get out of the atmosphere, intercept another planet, land on it, take off again and go back to Kerbin, while launching from a space station would remove the first launcher (of course, the rocket would still have to be assembled at the station).

Anyway, can\'t wait for the first (proper :D) pictures of the new planets!

You may have to be more crafty than that. You might have to launch two simultaneous missions, have one land on the planet and the other hang around in orbit, then use the second one to pick up the ascension stage of the other one. Like Apollo, only with the LM and the CSM on two different rockets. It will be a royal pain to do, but it will be very possible.

(I think this will require crew/passenger modules to be added though,or else the pick-up mission will have problems.)

things i want to see

not necessary in 0.17 but in any type of full version

- failure rates to any part....

To have failures in parts is usual in space flights. Think on all those early rocket test that...BOOOM....al those early space probes that missed....

If it works the possible rate of failures of a part will decrease a lot, if it fails your increase of experiance is only up to what worked, only partly increase of experiance at those part that failed, and no increase on those parts that came not to use,

- IVA? Whats this? Only a cockpit view ?

I would like to see capsule systems (some sort of zogygene) but with real weight, volume and time limitations like in reality - not like zogygene now - put up some batts and panels and live forever....

You cant go with Mk1 capsule to moon because its to small to support your crew that long time.

Even the three crewman capsule is to small if you dont add a CSM (Command Service Mudule) where all the support stuff is in.

Therfore

- computer requirements (for all systems attached...a larger rocket more PC power is required.

- electrical power requirements for all systems - and batts, solar panels, fuel cells and radioisotope thermoelectric generators to handle it.

- oxygene requirements per crew/per hour.

- not only planets and moons but things at and on it to measure and spaceprobes for those tasks.

You want to go to other planets (whoever and whenever they show up)...its not easy to reach it. Not in reality and shouldnt in KSP.

I believe even the Apollo capsules had life support build in. I know the modern space capsules (Orion, Dragon) have life support build in to the capsule itself, so I see no reason why a capsule built for one man cannot support a 3-5 hour trip to the Mun, and then the 3-5 hour return trip. The Apollo missions supported a 3 day trip there, 3 days on the moon, and 3 days back.

You may have to be more crafty than that. You might have to launch two simultaneous missions, have one land on the planet and the other hang around in orbit, then use the second one to pick up the ascension stage of the other one. Like Apollo, only with the LM and the CSM on two different rockets. It will be a royal pain to do, but it will be very possible.

(I think this will require crew/passenger modules to be added though,or else the pick-up mission will have problems.)

Or, bring the LM\'s Command pod as a DYJ crew tank+ MechJeb.

This is what I would do:

1:Put lander on pad, EVA one kerbal (I would choose Bob so Jeb could have some peace)

2: Launch lander, insert into Murz orbit

3: Put Return vehicle on pad, EVA the whole crew

4: Put Bob into the capsule and launch and put into Murz Orbit

5: Land and Rendezvous with return vehicle and EVA the two crew into the Return vehicle (Crew Reunited!)

6: Return Home

This is what I would do:

1:Put lander on pad, EVA one kerbal (I would choose Bob so Jeb could have some peace)

2: Launch lander, insert into Murz orbit

3: Put Return vehicle on pad, EVA the whole crew

4: Put Bob into the capsule and launch and put into Murz Orbit

5: Land and Rendezvous with return vehicle and EVA the two crew into the Return vehicle (Crew Reunited!)

6: Return Home

Or.... have a passenger module and save a ton of effort. There\'s already a \'crew tank\' from damned aerospace, I believe, so hopefully we\'ll see something similar from Squad by 0.17, at least.

Or.... have a passenger module and save a ton of effort. There\'s already a \'crew tank\' from damned aerospace, I believe, so hopefully we\'ll see something similar from Squad by 0.17, at least.

Yea, the Crewtank is from damned aerospace, I have it, it\'s nice. I put a mock-up space station in orbit. Not like that guy\'s Galaxy 2 station. Just a crew tank, one man pod, some arms with ladders. It\'s a decent size, maybe about the size of the Russian Space Station.

Yea, the Crewtank is from damned aerospace, I have it, it\'s nice. I put a mock-up space station in orbit. Not like that guy\'s Galaxy 2 station. Just a crew tank, one man pod, some arms with ladders. It\'s a decent size, maybe about the size of the Russian Space Station.

This is getting OT, but, do you mean Salyut?

leonov.jpg

This is getting OT, but, do you mean Salyut?

leonov.jpg

Yea, that one. Couldn\'t remember the same. Almost the same configuration, but the Crewtank is the only mod I have, so no Solar Panels. I made arms out of structural fuselage, rcs tanks, SAS, and nose cones, with ladders down to the ends and extension ladders sticking off the ends. It\'s pretty freakin neat lookin. Doesn\'t really server a purpose except for a new excuse to make orbital rondezvous and EVA between ships.

Here, last teaser before the new forum software, this time in glorious HD!

A failed attempt to land on the desert planet:

b1oHk.jpg

yTgom.png

Atmosphere still needs some tweaks, though. And my lander needs a drogue chute.

Note to self: Make drogue chute part.

Here, last teaser before the new forum software, this time in glorious HD!

A failed attempt to land on the desert planet:

b1oHk.jpg

yTgom.png

Atmosphere still needs some tweaks, though. And my lander needs a drogue chute.

Note to self: Make drogue chute part.

That made me pee my pants a little with excitement. Just a little. No one will notice.

looks like the atmosphere\'s about a third the size of kerbins judging by the altitude and the atmosphere-ometer there, correct me if I\'m wrong. Would that give an indicator to the size?

EDIT: the \'external temp\' bit at the side looks intriguing too!