[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

I\'m wondering if all the planets, and their orbital paths will be immediately visible to us. If so, I\'m hoping that changes when campaign mode is introduced. I think it would add a nice dynamic to the game if we had to search for the planets (the ones that aren\'t immediately visible from Kerbin) through telescopes, probes and the like.

My guess is that its the Mars-like planet, the \'crater\' your seeing is actually a mountain (ie Olympus Mons style), and could potentially be the highest mountain in the kerbal system (now that would be some interesting terrain)

That was one of my first thoughts as well.

I\'m very excited after reading of what we will have in 0.17 like planets.

But a whole kerbol system with moons maked by one person (Nova) sounds like an update like 0.16, a long waiting update, not again months of waiting :(.

I\'m wondering if all the planets, and their orbital paths will be immediately visible to us. If so, I\'m hoping that changes when campaign mode is introduced. I think it would add a nice dynamic to the game if we had to search for the planets (the ones that aren\'t immediately visible from Kerbin) through telescopes, probes and the like.

Telescopes have existed for a LOOOOOOOOONG time. Even back in ancient Greece and Rome they had a good idea of all of the planets and their orbital paths.

By the way, guys, what is this:

ajfAo.png

It could just be bits of light, but it seems a bit like there may be an extremely dark moon or planet sitting there, with light reflecting off of it.

It does appear to be a body of sorts, I did see that, so... maybe it\'s a Really small moon, like Phobos?

Telescopes have existed for a LOOOOOOOOONG time. Even back in ancient Greece and Rome they had a good idea of all of the planets and their orbital paths.

Of course. I mean, the planets like Mars, Jupiter, Venus, etc. are obviously going to be easily identified by Kerbal scientists. I can\'t imagine though that they would easily identify a tiny planet as far out as Pluto without active searching. Furthermore, if asteroids, comets and the like are ever added I feel something like this would make good sense.

Yes, but even then Pluto was discovered in the 1930s, a good decade or two before the first space program started. Assuming KSP is around the tech level of the Apollo missions, they would\'ve known about pretty much all the planets for a while.

One other thing I\'d like to see is randomly generated asteroids and comets that generate at a random orbit in the Sun\'s SOI, and if you pass within a distance close enough to see them you get to name them. From there, some would be captured by various SOIs and end up in orbit, while others would just pass straight through the solar system.

This has been stated many times but... Wow I am exited about this update. I swear these updates just keep getting better and better. I do hope, however that the new scenarios and pre-built ships do not make the game too easy. Although it would be easier for inexperienced people it would be better if you still had to learn through trial and error how to progress, maybe with a few tips or guides. Simply being able to select a scenario where you are about to land on the mun with a pre-built ship would take all the fun out of the game.

By the way, guys, what is this:

ajfAo.png

It could just be bits of light, but it seems a bit like there may be an extremely dark moon or planet sitting there, with light reflecting off of it.

NkJe

Doesn\'t look like anything particular, maybe it\'s just light from the star.

It does appear to be a body of sorts, I did see that, so... maybe it\'s a Really small moon, like Phobos?

I think it\'s probably the lens flare effect looking like a planet. Gosh, NovaSilisko is probably laughing like hell at the moment, seeing all these theories his images caused. I think I remember something similar on the easter egg thread... although that was fake that time. :P

Since nobody has commented on this yet, I will.

* Krakensbane: A solution to the 'Space Kraken' issue

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Kiling the kraken will make travel outside kerbins SOI much more enjoyable. Fighting the kraken when he is randomly scrambling your control keys is very annoying.

Squad is awesome. Keep up the good work, and I hope to see this update sometime in september :)

PS: Can one of the gas giants have a moon made of swiss cheese? Just for the fun of it?

Yes, but even then Pluto was discovered in the 1930s, a good decade or two before the first space program started. Assuming KSP is around the tech level of the Apollo missions, they would\'ve known about pretty much all the planets for a while.

One other thing I\'d like to see is randomly generated asteroids and comets that generate at a random orbit in the Sun\'s SOI, and if you pass within a distance close enough to see them you get to name them. From there, some would be captured by various SOIs and end up in orbit, while others would just pass straight through the solar system.

Eh, good point about the planets. I also like the idea of the randomly generated asteroids and comets. So what do you think of that in relation to my idea? Would an observation program be a justified addition to the game in the event that randomly generated objects are added?

The first picture having a huge crater doesn\'t seem right. The light is coming from practically the opposite side of the planet, yet that feature is lit up and extends quite a ways away from the terminator. Unless it\'s a very deep and very steep chasm, it probably isn\'t a crater... unless... it\'s full of white-hot magma!

Is that line streaking down the image something significant (rings edge-on 0.o), or just a 'transmission' artifact?

CTroX.jpgphoto3.png

Conspiracies abound.

I\'m looking forward to the new planets! Trying to land on them will be fun, and I\'m sure the community base I\'ve been taking part in will have many amusing wrecks on them in short order.

However, I recall from 0.16 discussion one of Harvester\'s(or another dev\'s?) comments on this was 'we can\'t really add more planets without better mission planning tools' - I always thought the current tools were enough for anyone who understands orbital mechanics and is patient, but I can see the need to make it less tedious and more forgiving.

Yet, no planning tools are in the list for this release. Are the training scenarios going to take care of that instead?

The first picture having a huge crater doesn\'t seem right. The light is coming from practically the opposite side of the planet, yet that feature is lit up and extends quite a ways away from the terminator. Unless it\'s a very deep and very steep chasm, it probably isn\'t a crater... unless... it\'s full of white-hot magma!

Is that line streaking down the image something significant (rings edge-on 0.o), or just a 'transmission' artifact?

CTroX.jpgphoto3.png

Conspiracies abound.

Let me refer you here :P

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=16921.msg249334#msg249334

Have fun!

I want to repeat a question asked earlier:

Are those images just photoshopped or are they from a new camera feature?

I think the only person that can answer that is Nova, perhaps you should wait until the devblogs and official discussion threads are up.

Not to look like I\'m entitled to anything but am I the only one a bit disappointed that neither docking nor atmospheric / reentry effects are in 0.17\'s planned features list? :(

I mean, that\'s cool and all but they\'re core features and core features I\'m really looking forward to