So I've been trying out the stock ships recently, because I always build my own and I wanted to see if they were any good, and I noticed that several didn't work, not taking off or only just taking off or falling over for no apparent reason. I was wondering if this happened to everyone or if it's just my physics being weird as usual, because it seems to not work properly a lot, with other people seemingly being able to lift much greater weights with much less thrust and fuel. I don't know if there's any solution for this, or if it's something that happens to everyone, and it's just me not being able to play the game. If anyone could give any advice or help in any way, I'd be very grateful. 

Well, the thing that might be happening is your center of mass is not centered. (ex: it's closer to the right, in which the rocket would fall over) Check to see if the center of mass in closer to one side, and if it is closer to one side and not centered, try counter-weighting the other side. The thing that might also be happening is your watching videos which the users have turned on a sort of cheat, or MechJeb autopilot. Otherwise, you should try building a similar ship than the one currently.

I hate to ask an obvious question but do you know about throttle? The default throttle is 50% (though you can change it and I suggest either 0% or 100%). The stock ships were made to work at 100% throttle for the most part. Try hitting "Z" before launching and see what happens. Z is max throttle, X is 0 throttle, and shift/ctrl throttle up and down gradually.

Don't ask me why they made ships that don't work with their default throttle. The better question is why that's the default when nobody should ever want it at launch.

On 25/02/2017 at 11:00 AM, Owllupus said:

So I've been trying out the stock ships recently, because I always build my own and I wanted to see if they were any good, and I noticed that several didn't work, not taking off or only just taking off or falling over for no apparent reason. I was wondering if this happened to everyone or if it's just my physics being weird as usual, because it seems to not work properly a lot, with other people seemingly being able to lift much greater weights with much less thrust and fuel. I don't know if there's any solution for this, or if it's something that happens to everyone, and it's just me not being able to play the game. If anyone could give any advice or help in any way, I'd be very grateful. 

They should all work.

23 minutes ago, BuzzKerman621 said:

The problem is most likely due to the ships not being upgraded to handle the modified physics in new versions of the game.

Most were, others still work but they are not all intended to be easy to fly, the older craft like the Aeris4A was specifically designed to be a challenge but is easier to use in the current game.

The Albatross was always meant to be a hippo, and the Ravenspears are retained out of respect towards their creator, who never intended them to be beginner craft.

The Dynawing as well is not intended to be an easy flight, if you want to get that into space you need to learn its quirks.

Others like the Learstar A1 were designed specifically for the player to tweak, feel free to add some canards.

Still others are examples such as the landers, or the favourite craft of the developers who included them.

Some are okay for beginners, the Aeris3A and the PT Munsplorer are good examples of easy craft.

But if you're expecting them all to be suitable for beginners I'm sorry to tell you that your expectations are incorrect :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.