GameData Modification Issues

So, after restarting my computer because I made KSP crash (its been suddenly very buggy for some reason, and I can't find what error I made in any of my cfgs for the life of me!), I realized that the GameData folder was behaving very interestingly. In order to delete any folder within the GameData folder, I had to delete each individual item within each subfolder until I could actually delete the entire folder. If I did not do this and I tried to delete the folder, a window would pop up telling me that the folder is being used by another application blah blah blah blah blah. Then I realized that I could only put folders in the GameData folder so long as they didn't have subfolders within them. For example, if I had a folder called "folder1" and within in a folder named "folder2" and within folder2 there was a cfg named "myCfg," I would not be able to move this to the GameData folder, and window would pop up saying that the folder is opened by another program. However, If I have a folder named "happyFolder" and within happyFolder there is a cfg named "happyCfg" and another cfg named "happierCfg," I am able to move happyFolder into GameData with no problems. Strange huh? Also, this is only happening with one of my installs of KSP. All of my other installs work perfectly okay.

Is a temporary solution to just create a new fresh install and see if the issue persists?

Additional Information:

-Mods:

Spoiler
  • RSS Constellations
  • Kopernicus
  • Module Manager
  • Modular Flight Integrator
  • Scatterer
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements
  • RSSVE
  • Real Solar System
  • Sigma Binary
  • Sigma Dimensions
  • Distant Object Enhancement
  • Hyper Edit
  • Kittopia Tech
  • Texture Replacer
  • Community Resource Pack

-Steam Client Version: Latest Version

-Anti-virus Program: Just Windows Defender. I know, its about time I get a virus. :D

-File info: Only files that have multiple files/folders within them

-Dxdiag:

Spoiler

aBTIJUD.png

Kg2Gk9C.png

q86HgB2.png

DtQZk3h.png

-Logs (you'll probably find lots of errors in there. I've been having some issues): Output log

Hmmm, did you copy KSP and change the folder name to KSP Extrasolar? I don't know what Steams behavior is when unknown folders are in common.

Are there any other copies of KSP in your Steam common folder?

Also you say Steam is the latest, is that the release or the beta?

If you click on Help then About Steam you can get the date and API version of the client, for example mine was built on the 22 March, uses API v017 and is version 1490228413.

Also was Steam installed as administrator?

Yes I copied KSP and renamed it to KSP Extrasolar. However, I've renamed other installs of KSP before, and there weren't any issues. I do have other installs of KSP in the common folder, somewhere around 5 I think. I'll get back to you on the Steam version, I'm at a restaurant right now :D

6 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@sal_vager

Here's the Steam version info:

Built: Mar 22 2017, at 16:46:40

Steam API: v017

Steam package versions: 1490229999

I guess the package version will differ because it's separate for Windows and Linux.

Have you tried changing the permissions on KSP? If you set it and all subfolders and files to read/write will it persist?

@sal_vager Aha! I have solved the problem! If I right click on the KSP folder for that install (in this case, common\KSP Extrasolar) and go to the security tab and add permission to modify that folder, the problem is solved! Thanks!

EDIT: That might also be why I was getting a bunch of bugs with that install for no reason? I'm going to check...

EDIT: Nevermind I'm getting bugs just because I'm bad at modding :P

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

1 hour ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@sal_vager Aha! I have solved the problem! If I right click on the KSP folder for that install (in this case, common\KSP Extrasolar) and go to the security tab and add permission to modify that folder, the problem is solved! Thanks!

EDIT: That might also be why I was getting a bunch of bugs with that install for no reason? I'm going to check...

Where's the security tab? I don't think I have one...because of Norton Security, which I don't like because it attempted to destroy all my KittopiaTech installs.

18 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Where's the security tab? I don't think I have one...because of Norton Security, which I don't like because it attempted to destroy all my KittopiaTech installs.

Sorry I forgot to specify that you need to click on "Properties" before there is a security tab. There should be a security tab there regardless of what anti-virus program you use.

48 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Sorry I forgot to specify that you need to click on "Properties" before there is a security tab. There should be a security tab there regardless of what anti-virus program you use.

Ah okay. I'll try it out once I'm done getting my new batch of SE screenshots.

EDIT: Huzzah! It worked! Thanks @sal_vager and @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures!

Edited by ProtoJeb21

It's still being a little finicky though. Sometimes you need to turn off full permissions and then turn full permissions back on to get it to work again. I don't really know why this would happen all of the sudden :/ 

Also, trying to delete folders with subfolders is still a problem.

43 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@sal_vager So I've narrowed things down a little and have found that there are only issues with cutting a pasting and deleting. Copying an pasting works perfectly fine, however.

I guess you are pasting after deleting? 

1 hour ago, sal_vager said:

I guess you are pasting after deleting? 

Yes. Everything the involves completely removing a folder with subfolders from the folder's original location in GameData or vise versa does not work. So, cutting doesn't work and deleting doesn't work, again only for folders with subfolders.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:08 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yes. Everything the involves completely removing a folder with subfolders from the folder's original location in GameData or vise versa does not work. So, cutting doesn't work and deleting doesn't work, again only for folders with subfolders.

I'm late, but have you check the permissions tabs to make sure that the relevant accounts have the permissions they need to edit the folder? Most files/folder will have a couple accounts associated with them. I know when I've had several crashes with other programs that somehow took windows down with it, I'd have to completely reset the permissions for the file(s) I was working with. This includes taking back ownership in some cases. (Hell, I've had to take ownership just to add permissions sometimes when I help people with their computers.)

Also, the last part sounds like a disparate permissions problem. Have you checked to make sure the permissions from the parent directory are inherited by the sub-folders and files within? Windows may or may not do that by default after a crash that affects permissions. (I hate doing this on complex folder structures because it can take a lot of time for Windows to change permissions for all the files and folders within. KSP with mods can get file-count heavy...)

Also, Full Permissions can be a misnomer at times, I think. (Been a while since I've had to truly muck with file permissions.) You may need to explicitly set all the permissions rather than relying on that.

10 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

I'm late, but have you check the permissions tabs to make sure that the relevant accounts have the permissions they need to edit the folder? Most files/folder will have a couple accounts associated with them. I know when I've had several crashes with other programs that somehow took windows down with it, I'd have to completely reset the permissions for the file(s) I was working with. This includes taking back ownership in some cases. (Hell, I've had to take ownership just to add permissions sometimes when I help people with their computers.)

Also, the last part sounds like a disparate permissions problem. Have you checked to make sure the permissions from the parent directory are inherited by the sub-folders and files within? Windows may or may not do that by default after a crash that affects permissions. (I hate doing this on complex folder structures because it can take a lot of time for Windows to change permissions for all the files and folders within. KSP with mods can get file-count heavy...)

Also, Full Permissions can be a misnomer at times, I think. (Been a while since I've had to truly muck with file permissions.) You may need to explicitly set all the permissions rather than relying on that.

Funny thing is, I've tried all of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, more problems arising. Tried to revert to an earlier version of Europa Universalis, and the download just stays at "paused" in Steam and beside it is says that its "Missing File Privileges"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.