Subterranean Mun Bases?

Make a part that looks like the various RL Moon or Mars base ideas that are buried in regolith, and gove the "base" part a variable texture. Land, set it to "Mun" and it look like it;s buried in Munar regolith.

2 hours ago, tater said:

Make a part that looks like the various RL Moon or Mars base ideas that are buried in regolith, and gove the "base" part a variable texture. Land, set it to "Mun" and it look like it;s buried in Munar regolith.

Is there a mod in existence already that has the ability to detect which body you are on the surface on? because in theory someone far smarter than I could linking it to a texture switching module triggered by an 'OnSurface' event (or similar, I can't recall the exact trigger).

For the IVA users this wouldn't actually be hard to implement. you have a relatively un interesting and simplistic 'surface airlock' external part, which could be common to all the parts, then separate IVA's for habitation modules, science modules, command and communication module, storage modules, workshops, etc (you get the idea).

Now if you could like this to Ground Construction  (GC) or Extraplanetary Launchpads (EL) then you could build off-world subterranean dwellings, if you could clever with nodes you could link multiple of these subterranean dwellings together when building in the VAB so that when you build offworld using GC or EL you could have an entire network of linked underground buildings.

If the coding wasn't beyond me I would have a stab at putting something together, I do like making IVAs but they are time consuming.

10 hours ago, dafidge9898 said:

Not necessarily deep underground, but bases that you can bury underneath regolith or something. For example, this could work in accordance with Kerbalism and reduce radiation effects. And perhaps a part to help with that? 

I would like large caves on moons and planets, so it would be easy to drive there with medium size mobile base.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.