NASA SLS/Orion/Payloads

_Augustus_

On 29/09/2017 at 10:33 PM, insert_name said:

and launch outer solar system probes in a more reasonable timescale, Europa clipper is probably going up on one, and Nasa's Ice giant study recommends the use of SLS as a launch Vehicle

That last part strikes me as being as genuine a recommendation as 'Dell recommends Windows'.

Um...a Falcon 9 launched the BEAM.   

and the 330 would fit.

The olympus though, that would require an SLS or ITS launch just for one.  

Have you heard about the Hypernova concept? 

http://www.jhuapl.edu/techdigest/TD/td2703/mcNutt.pdf

Page 270 proposes a rocket the size of the Eiffel Tower capable of delivering 10,000 tons to LEO!  That is enough for 100 Olympus modules, or a colony of 1,600, in one launch!  A "bit" implausible though.  

Being expendable, the cost would be ludicrous.  

(Personally, I think the Aldebaran nuclear spaceplane is better.)

3 hours ago, DAL59 said:

The ITS, or even Falcon Heavy will probably kill the SLS.  Even the Heavy can do half the payload for 1/20th the cost.  

Remember, it's a jobs program, so it's not likely to go anywhere soon.

22 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

Um...a Falcon 9 launched the BEAM.   

and the 330 would fit.

The olympus though, that would require an SLS or ITS launch just for one.  

BEAM was tiny. B330 does NOT fit. It's over 16m long. 3m longer than the fairing.

11 hours ago, DAL59 said:

The ITS, or even Falcon Heavy will probably kill the SLS.  Even the Heavy can do half the payload for 1/20th the cost.  

I hope SpaceX kills the SLS but i still remain unsure if that will happend. But like @tater said, the Falcon Heavy cannot lift the same payload as the SLS. Falcon heavy can only lift 10 tons to LEO, the ~50 ton thing is what it could lift is the rocket is reinforced to actually be capable to hold it, i think.

8 hours ago, tater said:

BEAM was tiny. B330 does NOT fit. It's over 16m long. 3m longer than the fairing.

I'm sure that a taller fairing is easier than a wider one, and they have discussed making wider fairings, so......

What the mass gives you is basically propellant left over in S2, since finding something useful that fits in a fairing (even a stretched one :wink: )that uses all the available mass is going to be hard.

7 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

It's over 16m long.

Since it is actually planned to launch on a FH, I assume they must have contacted spacex and secured a bigger fairing.  

16 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Pence and the rest of the National Space Council are calling for a human return to the lunar surface and have requested NASA to submit a plan within the next 45 days:

Which is about the 227th time in my lifetime that Congress, or the Administration, or a Blue Ribbon panel constituted by one of those two has demanded that NASA present a Brave New Plan for human exploration.  Precisely none of them have amounted to much.

So, I wouldn't get too excited.

The more useful bit was that he also told the regulatory guy to solve Shotwell's problem about launch permits... in the same timeframe. That might actually happen---she wants the ability to switch pads on the same permit. So they can move from 39a to slc40, for example.

16 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Which is about the 227th time in my lifetime that Congress, or the Administration, or a Blue Ribbon panel constituted by one of those two has demanded that NASA present a Brave New Plan for human exploration.  Precisely none of them have amounted to much.

So, I wouldn't get too excited.

Oh, I'm sure somebody got their pork every time.

There seems to be a myth that the Apollo program was pitched as anything but "we will show that the USA is better than the Ruskis".  But if you listen to Kennedy's speech, that was precisely why we should "choose to go to the Moon".  Before that, the original 7 simply flew on rockets based on ICBMs (Redstone and Atlas were both ICBMs, the switch to solids happened after that).  Since then, getting Congress to budget for "human exploration" has been difficult.

- Note: I've only heard the clips from Bob Fitch's excellent KSP recreation of Apollo 11, and not the whole 17  minute speech.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4GG_ZyXvJw  But it is pretty clear that the "political stunt" is the real goal/reason for funding.

Edited by wumpus

On ‎06‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 2:11 AM, _Augustus_ said:

I hope the plan doesn't include DSG......

On the contrary, the DSG is optimized for that kind of a change. It can be pitched as a stopover from Mars or a base for Lunar excursions, wherever the political winds blow. Also, note how many of this year's Mars lander projects have been pitched as (overbuilt) Lunar landers.

DSG is a mission for SLS/Orion. It's make-work for the rocket with no payloads.

Companies associated with SLS, or who want a piece of that funding stream are happy to also pitch architectures that use this.

59 minutes ago, tater said:

DSG is a mission for SLS/Orion. It's make-work for the rocket with no payloads.

Companies associated with SLS, or who want a piece of that funding stream are happy to also pitch architectures that use this.

What Rocket other than the Saturn V was built with a specific payload in mind?

14 minutes ago, Canopus said:

What Rocket other than the Saturn V was built with a specific payload in mind?

This is different. There's no real sustainable demand for payloads this big, and, as discussed in an earlier thread, there pretty much won't be.