SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

That’s gonna be incredibly hard. Like, ISRU for fuel is probably easier to do than making the Martian soil fertile.

That's probably correct. An ISRU reaction involves about four chemicals. Plants growing in soil? That's far more complex, and it involves many different kinds of organisms.

4 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I've actually considered doing that, doing R&D and construction of Martian habitats (compact in the transfer ship, deployable, easily buildable, radiation resistant, pressure holding, modular, etc), which are something that would be needed once exploration of Mars starts. However, I have four things going against me - I don't know as much about those as I think I know, I don't have any money to start doing work, I have no idea how to manage a business in general, and I'm sixteen so nobody would take me seriously.

I would be very happy if you someday make me a house to live in. Some of these issues might be something I try to solve when I'm in college, starting next year. One thing I've been thinking about a lot is how in space water needs to be dealt with in a very different way than on Earth, so you need to use systems like those on the ISS - special water bags, a toilet with a vacuum, special food warmers...But once you get to Mars you would want to go back to more traditional ways of dealing with water. I might want to take a shower, wash my hands in a sink, cook a meal on a stove, drink tea from a cup. Of course, everything falls slower and sprays farther on Mars than on Earth, so you would need systems that are less like those on the ISS but not quite the same as those on Earth - systems which currently do not exist. As soon as the problems of making Mars livable are solved, we will have the new problems of making Martian life enjoyable. Almost every facet of life will have to be reinvented, so if we don't design something to be used there basically from scratch, it will not make it there.

14 minutes ago, tater said:

Delay is weather. Sea state in the recovery area seems to be the issue. They're not going to throw a block 5 away unless they have to I think.

Yet another advantage for ULA. "We throw ALL our boosters away so we can launch ANY time!"

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Yet another advantage for ULA. "We throw ALL our boosters away so we can launch ANY time!"

...to which Shotwell probably replies, "If you want us to fly our reusable boosters expendable, that's fine. Just pay a 50% upcharge...and, hey, you'll still be paying less than you'd pay ULA."

7 minutes ago, Delay said:

Not sure if I should approve this.

Others are questioning this accesement as the sat owners said this might happen long in advance of NOAA sea state warnings which are only like 96 hours in advance.

On 4/26/2018 at 2:46 PM, tater said:

(for anyone job-hunting)

Oh man, oh man, oh man. SpaceX sure checks all the right boxes for me. I like my current job in design/manufacturing, but the prospect of employment at SpaceX is getting even more tempting than ever...

So. SpaceX is to fly 20 resupply missions for about 3 billions dollars. The same 20 missions flown by OrbitalATK would cost over 5 billions dollars. If SpaceX was to fly all 31 missions, it would cost 4 and a half billion. Either my math and basic understanding of economy is wrong, or NASA is taking a weird path to space...

13 minutes ago, Scotius said:

So. SpaceX is to fly 20 resupply missions for about 3 billions dollars. The same 20 missions flown by OrbitalATK would cost over 5 billions dollars. If SpaceX was to fly all 31 missions, it would cost 4 and a half billion. Either my math and basic understanding of economy is wrong, or NASA is taking a weird path to space... 

If SpaceX has an RUD then they are going to be grounded for a while, realistically. You want multiple options to ship cargo in case of something like that. Or, what if one of the companies goes under? It's about having a backup.

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

It says SpaceX prices went up 50% for CRS2. Is this normal? Shouldn’t they decrease because of better reusability of F9 B5 and Dragon 2?

IIRC Dragon 2 is way more expensive than Dragon 1, and it was originally going to be offset due to increased reusability. However, now D2 has to land in the ocean, which means it's going to be harder to reuse. I also recall that there were a few NASA mandated changes that drove up dev cost.

Also, there is inflation to account for. That's no small issue. Over the past ten years the USD has inflated by 16%.

4 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

IIRC Dragon 2 is way more expensive than Dragon 1, and it was originally going to be offset due to increased reusability. However, now D2 has to land in the ocean, which means it's going to be harder to reuse. I also recall that there were a few NASA mandated changes that drove up dev cost.

Also, there is inflation to account for. That's no small issue. Over the past ten years the USD has inflated by 16%.

Makes sense. People are meant to fly in that thing. And salt water is probably not nice for any spacecraft. Tbh NASA could probably get lower prices if they agreed to the much riskier powered vertical landing, but that's a no-no because crew.

A space capsule coming down on its own power would be soooooooooo amazing to see though. I really hope they at least test that approach at some point.

14 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

It says SpaceX prices went up 50% for CRS2. Is this normal? Shouldn’t they decrease because of better reusability of F9 B5 and Dragon 2?

SpaceX is a business. If they can charge more and still win the contract, they will try to charge more.

59 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Yes, but what is the total upmass for each contract?

Just now, Jouni said:

SpaceX is a business. If they can charge more and still win the contract, they will try to charge more.

Yeah, right. "You don't have to outrun the bear, you only have to outrun your friend".

36 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

Makes sense. People are meant to fly in that thing. And salt water is probably not nice for any spacecraft. Tbh NASA could probably get lower prices if they agreed to the much riskier powered vertical landing, but that's a no-no because crew.

A space capsule coming down on its own power would be soooooooooo amazing to see though. I really hope they at least test that approach at some point.

SpaceX will also use dragon2 to qualify it for crewed missions. 
You want the customer to pay for this development.